Other Guitars

Stageworthy Nylon-String “Classical” Guitar Recommendations?

As luck would have it, two of our new songs are fairly Latin-adjacent, to the point where using a nylon-string guitar for the rhythm part, even the solo, seems like a pretty good idea. Rehearsals so far have borne this out. But even with my compromise, er, crossover Alvarez acoustic-electric (mahogany body, cutaway and a pickup, but still classical-size and classical neck), the playability isn't all I could ever want. This is not the guitar's fault. With all the classical guitar playing in my past, I oughta be able to get used to it again pretty quick.

But then again, I'm old now. And it's looking like my left hand just wants a thinner and slightly less-wide neck. But at this point, it's only two songs, so investing in a higher-dollar guitar may not be the most prudent thing to do. So, on with the hunt.

The most obvious choice would be a Godin Multiac Nylon, same scale as a Tele, 1-7/8" nut, 2" thick body, and feedback-resistant as they come. Not wild about the tone at first blush, but haven't ruled it out. Córdoba GK models, Yamaha NTXs, a different model Alvarez (though all the ones I've seen look like newer versions of the one I have)? Anybody played those $400-$500 Breedloves? Seeking recommendations. Found a near-perfect guitar, the Martin 000C, but oh wait, $2,000. That ain't gonna work for now.

All suggestions welcome. Haven't ruled out just modeling a nylon-string on my Boss GP-10, but this is an opportunity to have another guitar on stage somewhat legitimately, and I'd hate to pass that up.

They're not new, but they crop up from time to time- a Baldwin 801CP (Jerry Reed played one a lot in the mid-70's), also the reliable Ovation (model escapes me- 1624? ) nylon string from about the same period.

Both use the same Baldwin-developed Prismatone pickup, if I recall. I've played a friends Ovation and while the round back and my round front don't get along, that guitar sounded pretty good.

Find a used Rick Turner RN-6. Amazing.

Went digging in my vids, and came up with this rare chance to hear the Baldwin nylon string axe in finger AND flat pick style by two of the best- Reed and Campbell. It's one of the rare times when Glen used something other than an Ovation on his TV show, so the chance to hear the same model played both ways (by two of the best) gives you an idea how the Baldwin (at least) sounds.

Thanks, Kevin. Don't see Baldwins around too much, I had an Ovation Country Artist which was a fabulous guitar, American made in great condition for $399 at a nearby GC, foolishly let it go a couple years ago. I have the same abdominal convexity that makes Ovations non-comfortable. More stuff to think about. Hmmmmm.

I have a very good quality nylon string, non cutaway, guitar you can borrow. Since I know You ,you can take it and use it for as long as you need,or untill you get one that will fits the bill for you.

Its a hand made in East L.A. classical style guitar made by Candelas Guitars.

http://www.candelas.com/

Holy geez, Manny! That's a ton of good-faith good-guy generosity there. Those are some fabulous high-end guitars. I bet it sounds heavenly.

You've got a Candelas?? I would like to play and hear that one day. Thanks, Manny!

You've got a Candelas?? I would like to play and hear that one day. Thanks, Manny!

– giffenf

Ive had it for for over 25 years and I recently pulled it out to attempt to play some Bossa Nova chords. Its here if you need it.

Holy geez, Manny! That's a ton of good-faith good-guy generosity there. Those are some fabulous high-end guitars. I bet it sounds heavenly.

– Proteus

Thanks Proteus, Frank is a very standup guy in my book. If you lived nearby ,I'd extend the same offer to you as well.

That's a ton of good-faith good-guy generosity there.

Manny is both generous and a good guy.

Frank is a very standup guy in my book. If you lived nearby ,I'd extend the same offer to you as well.

Yessir, I know all this. I'd trust either of you with anything. (And it might be worth moving to CA for some quality time with that nice a classical guitar.)

I was gonna recommend my Takamine EC132SC (like this one here) I bought it at a pawn shop in the early 90's for $375, but it looks like nowadays they go new for north of $1,400 or $1,500. I had no idea!

take up that generous offer for the Candelas!

if you want to outright own one, the mid-level Cordobas (C7s on up, or the more flamenco-ish GKs) are pretty decent. I think theyre a little overpriced at the shops but hnt for close outs, and used on Ebay or Craigslist....

Thanks for all the recos, folks. Parabar, I used to have an EC132SC, I'd have sworn it was a Hirade it was so nice, just couldn't afford to keep it at the time. A local emporium has a Cordoba GK with Ziricote back and sides which looks appealing, and another one has a used Godin Multiac Nylon SA and they said they'd make me a package deal on it with a NOS Roland VG-99 with the heavy-duty stand and an FC-300 foot controller. I already have the Roland gear, but the prospect of having a second set at a reasonable price, while extravagant, still appeals. But I think I'll start with the Candelas. Manny has been texted.

Register Sign in to join the conversation