Other Guitars

SQUIER STRATOCASTER HANK MARVIN

Why is it that Hank Marvin inspired David Gilmour, yet Gilmour gets a custom shop signature and Marvin has a Squier? :D

Well Hank was a traitor in Fender's eyes, going over to Burns you know. Plus unfortunately a lot of folks outside the UK wouldn't know who he is.

this one was made between 1991 / 1992 for the english market. Hank Marvin have also a Fender custom shop signature model.

cool guitar!

they were almost coral colored

saw a rockin surf band the other night..the madiera..they had two coral/fiesta strats...thought of hank right off

cheers

There is a non Squire Fender Custom Shop Signature Hank Marvin Strat (1998) as well as a Sig Burns (2004).

Link...

Well Hank was a traitor in Fender's eyes, going over to Burns you know. Plus unfortunately a lot of folks outside the UK wouldn't know who he is.

– drmilktruck

– drmilktruck

You are correct that outside of the UK many don't know him or The Shadows. I am American and never heard a Hank Marvin/Shadows song on the radio once here. I only became a fan because of a few things that led up to it.

Fender Frontline Magazine had some little reference to him once. A guy wrote in and they posted something he said about Hank Marvin. Then all those great UK guitar mags that started to be sold here in the mid '90s got me interested in The Shadows so I chanced it and bought a Shadows CD and was floored by the music.

Became a fan but sadly in the US people did not have any exposure to this great band and great guitarist. Okay some in the US know of Cliff Richard but even at that how many know of him here? Not a lot. Those who might know of Cliff Richard probably don't know of Hank Marvin.

As soon as Hank Marvin appeared toting that red Strat, half the guitar players into the UK wanted one — although probably only a few could afford one at the time. But most of the Strats coming over were sunburst so for a while — so the story goes — importers Selmer were having some of them resprayed red before they went on sale as new guitars.

Fast forward a few decades to the UK vintage Strat collector market and what do we find after a bit of poking around under the pickguard? — "Oi, you said this Strat was original but it's a sunburst that's been resprayed." Much discussion then followed over whether a 'new' resprayed guitar was actually in original condition and how much it was worth. That boy Hank has a lot to answer for!

Dave, that's a great story. I guess it's part of British music history those resprayed Strats and to me they are original in a sense.

Did anybody else use that colour before Hank?

Dunno. In the US it was probably a custom colour so I suppose some players must have had red Strats. In the UK — unless one or two had been imported privately — I don't think anyone else even had a Strat before Hank Marvin because they weren't available in UK stores before, I think, 1960. The skiffle guy Chas McDevitt had an early one (for the UK) but it had a rosewood board so would be later than Hank's. Then once the trade embargo (because of UK debt after WW2) was lifted the floodgates opened.

I can remember kids in Manchester in 1960 pressing their noses up against the window of Barratt's music shop in Oxford Road just to gaze at a Stratocaster. It was probably the same in every other town in the country.

cool guitar!

saw a rockin surf band the other night..the madiera..they had two coral/fiesta strats...thought of hank right off

cheers

– neatone

cool guitar!

saw a rockin surf band the other night..the madieras..they had two coral/fiesta strats...thought of hank right off

cheers

– neatone

Ivan Pongracic of the Madeira is a huge Shadows fan (hence the coral Strat) and also plays with his father in a Shadows tribute band, the Troubadours: http://www.youtube.com/watc... http://www.youtube.com/watc... http://www.youtube.com/watc...

hank also put vox on the map...ac15's evolving into ac30's (like dick dale did with fender )

and tape delay!...meazzi then vox

cheers

ps..as per the madiera...yeah ivan p's a killer guitarist..needs a better echo unit tho!

the legend say that the Fender Stratocaster of Hank Marvin was the first to be imported in the UK in 1959. It's Cliff Richard who had buy it for Hank. Now the guitar is in the hands of Bruce Welch Rythm guitarist of the shadows.

http://www.youtube.com/watc...

before Hank Marvin there was nobody in UK. He was the first european Guitar Hero. The sound of the shadows inspired 1000 and 1000 groups in Europe particulary in France and in the north of europe. He's an absolutely amazing guitarist and he can play any style of guitar except hard rock he had good taste in music. look at this one Hank marvin play Nivram at the Django Reinhardt tribute festival in Samois France.

http://www.youtube.com/watc...

Hank Marvin made a reputation playing at the "2ii's" coffee bar in London 'cos of his ability to play all the guitar parts on the records coming from America, especially those of James Burton .

He joined Cliff Richards backing group The Drifters ( name changed to Shadows for the American market...Drifters already a top vocal group in USA)

As Cliff and Shadows were doing ok Cliff offered to buy Hank a Fender guitar like James Burton played. They knew that he played a Fender, but never seen James Burton playing his guitar they thought his must be the most expensive guitar in the Fender catalogue they were been drooling over.

This was a Stratocaster So Cliff ordered a Strat. (He got special dispensation from a Govt official to import it. So the legend of Hank Marvin and his Iconic Red Stratocaster was born..

It was much later that they found out that James Burton played a Telecaster

As a teenager when I saw the red Strat and heard the way Hank played it I knew I had to learn to play the guitar. Over here in UK he was the man. and still is to many of us.

Hank Marvin (and his son) are featured guests on the Fender 50th Anniversary DVD called The Strat Pack. It's a fantastic show if you haven't caught it yet!!!

Link...

Wow Deed! that photo on page 197 is totally awesome!!!

i just added that book to my Amazon wish list! :D

In the video posted by didier delcourt, "the" Hank Marvin Strat is shown as a maple, but a few of the subsequent shots show Hank and Bruce playing Fiesta Red Strats with rosewood boards. Anybody know what happened?

Register Sign in to join the conversation