Other Guitars

Squier CV Duo Sonic conversion to 22.5” ‘62 replica

i stumbled across this little guy on Reverb and i just couldn't resist. apparently somebody who wanted a more authentic Duo Sonic took a Squier Classic Vibe DS and made it over in the image of a '62 Duo Sonic, including converting the neck from a 24" scale and maple board to a 22.5" scale rosewood slab board! the body has been refinished with Sonic Blue nitro, the hardware has been aged, and everything's been rewired with full-size CTS pots and Seymour Duncan Antiquity Duo Sonic pickups. at $450 it was actually cheaper than one of the new Fender reissues with the 24" scale which don't have the upgraded pickups. and isn't it as cute as a puppy on Christmas morning?

https://reverb.com/item/122...

isn't it as cute as a puppy on Christmas morning?

Durned if it isn't at that. I have a soft spot for Fender's junior body of that era, and funny you mention Christmas. I gave my daughter a pink Music Master one Christmas.

Here’s mine. I got at a blow-out price when Best Buy closed it’s music dept. 4 or 5 years ago. I had all new electronics (Wizard TweedTone pups), shielded body cavities and compensated brass bridge saddles added and had Paul Setzer cut me a clear pick guard that I just recently finished painting. It sounds bright and spanky as a beach boy. This is the lightest guitar I have ever strapped on.

isn't it as cute as a puppy on Christmas morning?

Durned if it isn't at that. I have a soft spot for Fender's junior body of that era, and funny you mention Christmas. I gave my daughter a pink Music Master one Christmas.

– Proteus

i really like the Duo Sonic body style as well. it's more graceful than the other Fender bodies (which i love, don't get me wrong) and i think it's the perfect middle ground between the Fender offsets and the Strat/Tele/et al.

Here’s mine. I got at a blow-out price when Best Buy closed it’s music dept. 4 or 5 years ago. I had all new electronics (Wizard TweedTone pups), shielded body cavities and compensated brass bridge saddles added and had Paul Setzer cut me a clear pick guard that I just recently finished painting. It sounds bright and spanky as a beach boy. This is the lightest guitar I have ever strapped on.

– Bob Howard

I passed on one of these (for $135.99 no less!!!) at the Best Buy close-out, and have been kicking myself ever since!!

Ya shoulda. That’s what I paid.

Ya shoulda. That’s what I paid.

– Bob Howard

I had just bought an American Standard Strat that day at that same blow-out sale there - for $632.99 - and I guess that CV Duo-Sonic just didn't register with me at the time, since I was so excited about the great deal I got on the Strat, but yeah - Shoulda coulda woulda!

135.99! You stoled that gitar!

Yep. It took months of waiting patiently and some inside info (a sales guy told me when the last markdown and dept. closure would happen) to get this price.

Here it is in action before I switched the pick guard. My guitar player likes it. He’s a big guy so it looks tiny on him.

Register Sign in to join the conversation