Other Guitars

Something Different - A Strat For Those Of You With Money To Spend

I ran into this, while surfing YouTube a short time ago. It looks like Fender's Custom Shop released it for sale within the past few days:

Fender Custom Shop Limited Edition Robbie Robertson Last Waltz Stratocaster

Basically it is a recreation of the '54 Strat Robbie Robertson of The Band,played in The Band's last show, that Martin Scorsese filmed as "The Last Waltz". When Robbie Robertson sent it to Fender to have some work done to it (before the last Band Show), the body was (literally) bronzed. F.Y.I - that is not a humbucker in the bridge position, when Fender worked on the original guitar, the middle pickup was moved down next to the bridge pickup, and the wiring changed, for different tonal options. List price for the guitar is $14,500. This recreation has the same wiring as Robbie's guitar, and body has also been bronzed (just like the original guitar).

Fender's YouTube video, with some additional info., and Robbie playing the reissue.

Doesn't do a thing for me.

Still, someone will dig it.

What was cool about Last WAltz was Danko playing a Gibson bass.

I've gotta wonder what that Strat weighs.

It weighs $14,500!

I would be more inclined to buy a "Helm" mandolin than I would a Robertson guitar.

Always loved the Band as a group, RR not so much.

I'd forgotten some of the cool tones he got from that thing. Thanks for posting.

I've always wanted one of these. Certainly not going to pay custom shop prices though. I'll make it myself, with paint instead of actual bronze.

That's copper plated. I'm aware of House of Kolor's faux copper plating paint but I hear the process of making it come out right is a bear... fyi

That's copper plated. I'm aware of House of Kolor's faux copper plating paint but I hear the process of making it come out right is a bear... fyi

– Rattlecat

It's literally dipped in bronze. I'd be satisfied with Reranch's copper paint though.

Aluminum strat.

Where's ole Prote's aluminium Strat?

But ... but ... I thought the whole point of a Strat was to be an inexpensive and functional "workingman's" guitar --- no binding, no fancy inlays, bolt-on neck for easy replacement, electronics all built into the pickguard, etc.

A super-expensive "luxury" Strat is as odd a concept as a totally tricked out Plymouth Valiant --- it can be done, but why bother?

Register Sign in to join the conversation