Other Guitars

So…is this what we were hoping for from the new Gibson?

https://reverb.com/news/gib...

Pastel SGs, proving that Fender custom colors really work best on Fenders?

Also, 1,499.00 seems stiff to me for what you get with an SG Standard. The spec is right on these, anyway, with nothing stupid or pointlessly revisionist. And I suppose 1,499.00 is modest by past Gibson price points (and there have been so many variations of the "standard" SG that who can keep track), but keeping it under 1,000.00 would make it more attractive to me.

I mean, say it to yourself: one-thousand dollars. Stretch it out dramatically. One thououousand dollars. It kinda sounds like a lot already, doesn't it? For a CVT with a demonic double-horned shape?

I've never had an SG, and the hopeless completist in me somehow thinks I should have some version of every guitar I ever wanted (and around 1972-73, it was hard not to want an SG). But what's that worth to me, when Epiphone makes a mighty appealing version?

But in the proper cherry red. That's what SGs should be. That or nunmor black.

But Easter-egg pastel SGs?

Think one of them would look better in person than they do here? Because here it looks like they gave outline drawings of SGs to an elementary school class for a coloring project.

Somehow I don't see rocking a shell pink SG into some mighty feedback and sneering under my hair while flashing the devil-horn gesture.

I could be wrong but I bet these are aimed at people half our age, the ones who will think these colors are cool

Edit - “heritage cherry” and black are also offered, I love the olive dran color scheme but I’m not an SG guy. Give me in that color instead. Im unable to link from my phone but follow the link from the link above to see all the color choices

Proteus, you got it. Fender colors do work better on Fender guitars. Those colors on Gibsons look repulsive to me. I know that's a strong word but they do.

SG’s are one of the few guitars I like in a walnut brown stain. Or is that just raw mahogany?

Also, given that they are a CME exclusive, I would guess it’s more a move to rebuild relationships with a major client than to establish a new direction for the brand.

it’s more a move to rebuild relationships with a major client than to establish a new direction for the brand.

Good point.

I do like everything else about the spec, and the cherry is fine. Maybe when they turn used on Reverb, they'll be less than a thououousand dollars.

Walnut brown is indeed OK on an SG. SGs should be dark. They're dark guitars. Dark guitars for dark people. Except for Sr Rosetta Sharpe, who got wicked on a white one for the Lord before rockers took the model over. So white (well, worn white) is also a good color.

I like those colors myself, but it won't change the fact that they'll still be neck heavy bastards.

I like those colors myself, but it won't change the fact that they'll still be neck heavy bastards.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

True, but nothing like my '97 Firebird. The damn thing is like a dousing rod on steroids!

True, but nothing like my '97 Firebird. The damn thing is like a dousing rod on steroids!

– NJDevil

I've always wanted a Firebird. Can't say the same for an SG.

Well... the Cherry finish is certainly a classic look, but I honestly don’t mind the TV yellow. It appears to lean to the mustardy side, like the LP Juniors which is a blessing. I’d pass on the pastel stuff.

The yellow would be my choice of that set too. Ironically, though, after they went to all the trouble of glossing these up, TV yellow looks best in a thin skin with the grain evident...

Not bad, but they could be a bit too large to fit under the tongue.

I've always thought a Corvette in TV yellow would look fantastic (as would an SG) but these pastel SGs look like something the Easter Bunny or Barney the Dinosaur would play -- not that there's anything wrong with that.

Until Gibson sorts out the exploding headstock issue, I will never buy one of their guitars no matter what the colour.

Cherry or walnut if I was to ask for one... but to tell the truth, I won't be asking.

As for the pastels- nah...

Meanwhile over at Fender they've now got Andy Mooney, who in his words is "their first guitar playing Chief Executive".BBC

For whatever reason, I have no probs w/ this. I always liked goofball colors, over marketing missions like 'vintage sunburst' or idiotic relic-ing or 'road-worn' tedium like that other F word guitar company decided to put out. As long as Gibson stays away from robot-tuners and other past blunders, I'll be ok. Now, if you don't mind, I'll go play my red sparkle Rick 650... btw, Happy New Year, GDP.

Personally, I can't imagine myself playing an SG in any other color than Heritage Cherry Red (2nd choice would be Black). I think that the pastel colors now being offered are.....choosing my words carefully.....absolutely not my cup of tea! (there ya go, I avoided using words like sickening and atrocious).

I'm with Proteus on this one, pastels don't, IMO, work on an SG. Easter Bunny droppings, or regurgitations came to my mind, as I flipped through the color selection. I can't imagine riding a feedback wave out of a Plexi, on volume 11 in Kerry Green, Coral or Shell Pink !

I don't think it looks any worse than pastel-colored "white" Falcons, not crazy about either.

And 1500 is a good price IMO, I don't think you can realistically build a solid mahogany, gloss nitro-finished guitar in the US for less and still make a profit.

Also, given that they are a CME exclusive, I would guess it’s more a move to rebuild relationships with a major client than to establish a new direction for the brand.

– Junior Q Man (Ryan M)

Totally agreed, and since the guy that owned CME started Reverb, you're not getting so much "news" as you are getting advertising spots about the collaboration.

The smart thing, I guess, is that by limiting it to one store you're not trying to sell them across the nation. If the CME exclusives became "a thing" then I'm sure Gibson would start trying to figure out how to release them widely.

I'm not against the colors or the guitar, I still have an SG, they're really fun guitars to play.

*EDIT to day, I'm not against ALL the colors - some of them are pretty funky, others I like.

i don't see why anyone would have a problem with the different colors. if i were in the market i'd consider the Sonic Blue-esque one. and an SG is much more than "a CVT with a demonic double-horned shape." for one thing, SGs are actual professional level guitars, which the CVT is not. the SG platform has been proven to work everywhere from The Who to New Order; nobody relevant plays a CVT. perhaps Gretsch chauvinism is playing a role here.

SGs have always looked devil horned and Florentine to me. These new ones are like pink and baby blue evil death head imagery. Silly. Like putting a tutu on a Balrog.

I like the colors, and would happily get the Kerry Green model to go with my Surf Green Telecaster...

perhaps Gretsch chauvinism is playing a role here.

Well, not in any serious way. Tongue is sometimes at least partly in cheek. I’d have to be blind, deaf, and oblivious not to realize the SG is a fabled icon which has played a major role in the music of the last 57 years, and the Corvette...isn’t and hasn’t.

And I’m hardly the first to associate the SG design with “devil horn” imagery, though I intended a bit of comic hyperbole by flogging it here. Despite its technically being a dual-Florentine design, I have no problem with the SG shape, and I seriously doubt its designers intended any infernal connection (and so what if they did). (Actually, I’ve often thought the design derived from observation of the positive space adjacent to the inside edge of the very top of an archtop’s f-hole.)

But I take issue with the notion that a CVT (in its current iteration) is “not a professional guitar.” Why isn’t it? It’s built, plays, feels, and sounds like one. Clearly it has nothing like the historical impact and storied famous-player associations of the SG - but there’s nothing “amateur” about the guitar itself.

The comparison DOES raise an interesting question, however. Both the SG and the original solidbody Corvette were introduced in 1961. Unless the two companies were spying on each other, it’s hard to argue that either was copying the other. It’s true that Gibson had already been making solid mahogany slab guitars, while this was Gretsch’s first true solidbody, so maybe Gibson already had a market-softening reputation for such designs. Also, discontinuing the original Les Paul design and folding that demand into the new SG model no doubt increased interest in it.

But of two doublecut solid mahogany slabs introduced in the same year, why did one go on to rule its market segment, and one die (coincidentally in the same year Gibson revived the Lester)?

WAS the Corvette in some way inferior in quality and/or build to the SG, and thus seen as unprofessional? Was the classically harmonious design of the SG simply more appealing than the Corvette?

I have theories about this. I think the Corvette, whatever it’s build quality and shape, was done in by three things. First, Hilotrons. Of course they have their strengths and their champions, but we can probably agree that they’re not at their best on a slab. And how could they compete with either humbuckers or P90s? Yet there they were, Gretsch’s (cheaper) new pickup, on Gretsch’s new guitar - and there they stayed, effectively preventing the guitar from fulfilling its potential.

Second, Gretsch kept fangling with design, in some pretty profound ways. Body shape, edge sculpting, headstock, Burns or not, dopey Tone-Twister. No one iteration had the chance to stand up beside the stalwart SG as a consistent competitor.

Third, the model was used as the basis for de-contented and whimsically painted “girls’ models” and novelty editions. Whatever the quality of the guitars (and I think they were as well built as conventional Gretschs - meaning that until quality control suffered at the height of the guitar boom mid-decade, they were fine), the Corvette just couldn’t find traction against the SG with all the changes of heart (and spec) going on in the Gretsch garage. What do you want, a guitar with a strong and consistent identity from the git-go, with full-range pickups and solid hardware - or an equally well made guitar whose personality changed every year, from straightforward to “girly” and faddish, with weak plinky pickups and gimmicky hardware?

Whether or not the Corvette was built to professional standards, it seems to me the company just shot its tires out, over and over. Had the current CVT spec have been in place from the introduction, I wonder how the model would have fared against the SG during the 60s and 70s when the SG’s reputation was made.

But as it was, the Corvette was out of production when the SG found its most loyal market with hard rockers of the late 60s and early 70s, and thus established the heritage which sustains it now. Against that onslaught, peppermint-striped HiloTron slabs didn’t have a chance.

Register Sign in to join the conversation