Other Guitars

short scale hollowbodies — not much out there

Well it's now known far and wide that I am Happy As Hell with this completed 22.5" scale Duo Sonic and a backup one in the works.

So I got to thinking are there any under 23" hollowbody electrics?

Only ones I could find were the Gibson ES-140 with absurd prices also short version of he ES -125 and the more reasonably priced Guild M-65, early ones w/ kool Franz pickups. Neck looks a bit wider than Gibson also.

Any others? As far as ones from The Modern World I thought maybe in enormity of what Eastman has, there might be something --but nothing I can find anyway.

These are crazy rare, and when they do pop up they're probably pretty expensive. But if you want an ultra short hollowbody, this would be über-cool :Link

If you don't mind semi-hollowbodies, the Ric 320s and 325s have 21.5" scale neck.

These are crazy rare, and when they do pop up they're probably pretty expensive. But if you want an ultra short hollowbody, this would be über-cool :Link

– WB

Like the ad says, it's a deep body version of the m-65(?) Still pretty cool tho.

If you don't mind semi-hollowbodies, the Ric 320s and 325s have 21.5" scale neck.

– EllenGtrGrl

For that 20.5" or 21" Rick scale I am holding out for a 950. Problem with 325 and actually a lot of hollowbodies are just the string distance from the body. It's all about finger picking. I will shelve this idea for a while and just finish current projects...

I'm an es140 player for a long time. That custom shop guitar Big Rob last posted on Instagram is my order, inspired by my main es140. I'll have it in hand really soon. Haven't been this excited in years.Link

forgot to mention it is a 22.75" scale

Byrdland? That's 23.5.

There's an old thread on the other site mentions Gretsch Rambler, 23”.

More expensive guitars, Benedetto Andy 23”, Gibson Midtown Kalamazoo 23.5”.

It's hard to break the 23” barrier.

There seem to be various oddity 3/4 Gibsons, like ES-175 3/4, ES-150 3/4. I wonder if there was ever a 330 3/4.

And what is the mid-60's Epiphone equivalent to the ES-140?

Epiphone Century 3/4. Epiphone Sorrento 3/4. https://guitars.com/invento...

This is my highly modded es140. I was lucky to find it, as the original owner had done most of the mods. I gave it the TK Smith treatment once I got it. Original owner set it up with a master volume too.

There actually was a short scale es335. Only one I've ever seenLink

I really wish that this is what was meant with Gretsch’s Jr line rather than just a smaller body.

More expensive guitars, Benedetto Andy 23”, Gibson Midtown Kalamazoo 23.5”.

It's hard to break the 23” barrier.

There seem to be various oddity 3/4 Gibsons, like ES-175 3/4, ES-150 3/4. I wonder if there was ever a 330 3/4.

And what is the mid-60's Epiphone equivalent to the ES-140?

Epiphone Century 3/4. Epiphone Sorrento 3/4. https://guitars.com/invento...

– hammerhands

Yep, I am talking under 23" for sure.

Yes there are Gibson ones, but then they go down to the weasel thin 1 9/16th neck mostly from 1 11/16th and mostly one pickup.

There are one-off special order 175s etc. around but in the Brutal Price Zone usually.

I really wish that this is what was meant with Gretsch’s Jr line rather than just a smaller body.

– Pappy

I guess the companies think 'kids' when short scale is discussed and then necks are too frickin narrow.

I want under 23" with a decently wide neck @ nut. Ain't gonna happen tho

Yep, I am talking under 23" for sure.

Yes there are Gibson ones, but then they go down to the weasel thin 1 9/16th neck mostly from 1 11/16th and mostly one pickup.

There are one-off special order 175s etc. around but in the Brutal Price Zone usually.

– DCBirdMan

I'm not exaggerating. Before I ordered my Custom Shop short scale from Gretsch, I asked for a quote from Gibson to make a new ES140. Their price was just under 3 times what the Gretsch is costing. And the Gretsch is much more Custom than what Gibson quoted me on.

That is a pretty cool hot rod -- that jazzed up ES 140

Yikes, that's a pretty aggressive price for a niche guitar that only DCBirdMan wants.

DrMilkTruck mentioned this ES-140 3/4T on the other forum. Too expensive?

https://www.williesguitars....

– hammerhands

More than 10 years ago (when I too was enamored of short scale guitars like Bob is now), I owned an ES-140. The downside was that the neck was too narrow, barely above 1.5 inches. Otherwise I loved it. I sold it for $1400, far below what the Willie's guitar is asking.

Yikes, that's a pretty aggressive price for a niche guitar that only DCBirdMan wants.

– Afire

Bought one of thiose from Atomic about 7 yrs ago for $1400. But I wasn't a Short Scale Dude then. I thiink I got 1500 on the bay after a month, and may have gone to A Parts Weasel.

All the old Gibson 22.5" s are 1 9/16th. Except if this is correct, this recent one (sold) https://davesguitar.com/pro...

Stated to be 1.7!! Only ones I can find are in posession of Intense Japanese Dudes.

I will suffer along with 1 10/16th but that's my limit where it used to be 1 11/16th as minimum

Register Sign in to join the conversation