Other Guitars

SchoolHoused In Action Johnny Brenda’s Philly

If sexy words offend don't click on the vid. This is another old wood guitar I built with specific geometry to deal with 10-52 and them some. In addition I wanted to avoid string trees and it all came out okay.

Check them out on Colbert this Thursday, Tommy said he's using the yellow guitar but you never know for sure.

And what a sound through that AC30!

The difference in tone was noticeable between guitars when Tommy changed to this. He used the volume knob more than pedals to good effect, but when he did kick on the OD, pure rock and roll flowed out.

Cool guitar. Can you tell us what's unique about the geometry to accommodate the 10-52s? I've never had any problem with leaving out the string trees on a Tele. I'm still not convinced they're necessary. Both of my Teles have standard necks and no string trees.

Cool guitar. Can you tell us what's unique about the geometry to accommodate the 10-52s? I've never had any problem with leaving out the string trees on a Tele. I'm still not convinced they're necessary. Both of my Teles have standard necks and no string trees.

– Otter

On the '72's and others you can't get the saddle moved back enough to get the E to intonate properly and many of those need two trees because there isn't any break angle so the strings aren't balanced. Every guitar I build I try new things so if you A/B'd it to a Tele things aren't in the same spots. The neck is angled back a bit to increase the nut break and allow the saddles to sit higher increasing that angle adds pressure on the bridge which makes it ring. Also, if you strum the open strings it's balanced really well, no premature decay on B and E.

That's really cool! I didn't realize he had that band back together again. I recently put the "Friday Night is Killing Me" CD back on my ipod.

The guitar looks great, I haven't had time to listen to the songs yet. I guess they won't be doing the one posted on the Colbert show?

Yeah you wouldn't hear much....

It'll be this.

The difference in tone was noticeable between guitars when Tommy changed to this. He used the volume knob more than pedals to good effect, but when he did kick on the OD, pure rock and roll flowed out.

– crowbone

Well said! The songs sound great - and the guitar! Wish I would've known about the show, I would have tried to get there.

Curt, in the video you posted it looks like in one scene Tommy is wearing one of Paul Westerberg's spray painted T shirts from the last Replacements tour.

I've got the CD ordered, but I'll have to watch the Colbert appearance on demand tomorrow - can't stay up that late tonight...

Great job with the guitar, and congrats on the exposure. It must be really gratifying to see your work in the hands of artists that you enjoy!

It's crazy the way everything connected and I feel very fortunate to have a diverse mix of customers.

Here's the entire show that someone recorded. He switches to the SH somewhere in the middle.

He switches to it at around 44:00 and you can hear him noodle a bit before the band kicks in.

Cool!

Now you're international, baby! heh heh.

Congrats, Curt.

Thanks man, you, me and 20 other people that know the story...

All I know is I'm having a blast!

Great performance! Weird ending by Colbert?

Nice shots of the guitar; looks like a reversed switch plate - I have one like that.

That's very cool, Curt! Congratulations!

On The Rocks - what a great song!

Great performance! Weird ending by Colbert?

Nice shots of the guitar; looks like a reversed switch plate - I have one like that.

– Jeff H

The plate is regular but there's duct tape over the tone knob, can't wait to hear the story!

I also loved the part in the Colbert performance during the guitar solo when Tommy says "why are you sitting down?" at which point the audience appropriately stands up!

There was a discussion about soft wood 'casters lacking punch. I maintain it has everything to do with the setup. There's a nice solo about 1:45 in.

How cool Curt! The guitar looks awesome. Do you make your own hardware? I have used Rutters' steel compensated saddles with 10-52 and manage to get intonated ok. I love those saddles because they sound great, intonate perfectly and look like old school steel saddles. No weird angles and no string wander.

I like the idea of increasing neck angle to raise the saddle height. One thing which drives me crazy is not having enough neck angle. I've even shimmed necks on Fenders to raise the bridge saddles and it definitely sounds better to me. Plus the screws in the saddles don't eat into your hand.

Register Sign in to join the conversation