Other Guitars

Schaller Klussen Tuner repair ? NGD

Happy New Year Everyone ! I bought this little gem , it's a 2003 660/12 in x-mas tree green. It needed good set up . Strings where high on the nut , and bridge was way up there too. Might be that previous owner used it for slide work and didn't mind. A little comparison between a 660 and 330 for those who wonder : The 660 has a small solid body , so it's quiet acoustically against a 330. That smal body makes it hard, for me at least , to get comfy in the couch with it . The 660 neck is wider - It's great. With low action, I find it very easy to play - no fatigue !

One Schaller would not keep the light G string in tune. It's a problem I've encountered before on late 90's Gibsons with these Schallers. The box on the back comes loose , probably because the key shaft has been pulled on. In the past I have bought new Tonepros replacement and they have worked fine. But this one has 11 good ones and one bad, I used all my money on the Rick ! It's really a shame cos they are good solid tuners , when they work. Has anyone had any success repairing these ?

The fix for now: I had a set of Gold Schallers It works out pretty good , might put the others on too. Orientation is a lot easier on far side with gold/chrome - you know right away - which string the knob effects , not always the case after a few beers

Rick is known for leaving nuts where strings are too high. Also on some of their 12s the 2 G's actully come in contact w/ the plastic logo.

Rick is known for leaving nuts where strings are too high. Also on some of their 12s the 2 G's actully come in contact w/ the plastic logo.

– DCBirdMan

Yea , one of the G's do that here too. I tried to solder , but could not get the tin to stick to the prong that goes thru the bace and locks the lid to the base . Next up, the Mig welder ?

Register Sign in to join the conversation