Other Guitars

Rickenbacker 660-6 Midnight Blue with Brass TRU-ARC

Thanks Proteus for making this happen! Looks great, feels great and sounds out of this world. This a truly unique guitar now. Dare I say its in the "Holy Grail of Tone" category? Yes, I shall.

More pictorial goodness.

More pictorial goodness.

More pictorial goodness.

More pictorial goodness.

More pictorial goodness.

More pictorial goodness.

More pictorial goodness.

More pictorial goodness.

Nice, and I really like the shape of the 660 line.

...------

Good on ya, Brian! Beautiful!

I too love the 660 models. Looks great, Brian. And I bet that it sounds good too. I'd love to hear it with a Tru-Arc RBB.

By the way, Brian, it is interesting that you mention this guitar as now having the "holy grail" of tone. I own a couple of Rickenbackers -- a six-string and a 12-string -- but, I can't say that I have ever been able to define in my own mind just what the Rickenbacker tone is. Of course, the term "jangle" is often used and I think that it is a very apt description of the tone of a 12-string Rickenbacker. It really does jingle and jangle like no other guitar. However, the six-string, with its "toaster" pickups, for my ear, has no jangle that one would normally associate with high-frequency overtones. And its sonic footprint is not nearly as distinctive (again, for my ears at least) as say a Gretsch guitar, or a Jazzmaster guitar, or the like. Those have a very distinctive tone that one can very often pick out of a crowd.

Are you (or anyone else, for that matter) able to articulate just what the Rickenbacker sounds like to you?

Do you have any pics of it?

My 650-12 bridge Rickenbucker I think has the sound. still would like to A/B it w/ a toaster. 2 Hi Los on, like a Tennessean is also quite distinctive.

Whenever I've played a 6str Rickenbacker, my thoughts have been fairly consistent- it would make a great rhythm axe, but there was little in the sound that jumped at me saying "play leads on me!"

I thought seriously about 360/6 for a time, but never managed to find a sound I could call my own.

But add the extra strings. NOW you have the distinctive Rickenbacker jangle that no other 12 string has.

BTW, I put the 12-saddle bridge on it for a time, but went back to the 6. The 12 saddle cleaned up the overtones and while it made the guitar a little clearer (not to mention a lot more accurate to tune up), something in the overall tone was lost.

That's class!

So are these going into production?

What radius was your neck Brian ? I haven't a clue what mine would be.

My claim of tone goodness is purely subjective and personal ... and maybe a bit too boastful. I cant articulate it or back-it up. My only comparison might be a Tennessean with HiLoTrons but I'm sure there are differences there just because of the body types. What I do know if that this guitar fits a unique category among my other guitars. It's got a less than 25" inch long neck with 12" radius (I think), very comfortable to hold and play, and has a quirky look and vibe to it. Yes, I'm sure 12 strings would have been the cat's meow, but this was an "opportunity" buy from a Dr. dude here on the GDP and probably my one and only foray into Rickenbacker territory. The craftsmanship of the build is very nice and I love the midnight blue with gold pick-guard combo. I know its superficial, but that's why I got a brass TRU-ARC and in has burnished gold locking tuners to boot.

Brian......Is that a complete bridge with a support base that you got from Tim or is the TruArc bar mounted on something else?

Whenever I've played a 6str Rickenbacker, my thoughts have been fairly consistent- it would make a great rhythm axe, but there was little in the sound that jumped at me saying "play leads on me!" -- Kevin Frye

Interestingly enough, Jim Babjak, from the Smithereens, made quite a career out of playing lead on a Rickenbacker through a Marshall. But, I don't think to myself when I hear him play that combination, "Oh yeah, there is that Ric overdrive that I know and love."

But, I am right there with you, Kevin, when it comes to the 12-string. It has a very, very distinctive voice.

My claim of tone goodness is purely subjective and personal ... and maybe a bit too boastful. -- Brian_66

Not boastful at all, Brian. Rightfully proud, perhaps. They are beautiful guitars and are very serviceable at that. And my question was not calculated to challenge you or put you somehow on the spot. I have just never been able to characterize in my own mind how my 350V63 sounds to me. It sounds just fine, but also just not distinctive in character.

Unknown Hinson does pretty well playing lead on a Ric 620, thru a Vox..

The Rick 660-6 has a 24.75" scale, wider 1.75" nut width and a 10" fretboard radius. As Unknown Hinson demonstrates, Rick 6's can rock pretty good.

Brian66 if you could tell us more about what was done to adapt/mod or replace the Rick bridge base to take a Tru Arc. There's no way you could drop a Tru Arc right on to a stock Rick bridge base.

Register Sign in to join the conversation