Other Guitars

Recording King Soprano Ukulele

Well, it is kind of a guitar so I will put this here.

Tried this at Guitar Center. Sounded good I thought. I love the plastic fretboard and headstock but I think they call it pealized.

Any of you own or try one? Your thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

https://www.musiciansfriend...

Cool fretboard. Gretsch made a reissue of the pearl fretboard Hawaiian with their Historic collection a few years back and it looked great. I've been kinda sorta interested in ukes but never too much until I saw a recent Gibson one shaped like a Les Paul. Now if Gretsch made a uke that looked like a DuoJet (with an arched top!) I'd be much more interested. (Hey Joe Carducci, where you goin' with that uke in your hand?).

lx, that be great if Gretsch did that Duo Jet uke as you suggest. Besides Gibson there is an Epi Les Paul version of the uke if price matters.

I recall that pearl fretboard you mention. It’s the Hawaiian acoustic guitar as you mentioned. So nice. I love pearlized fretboards.

I tried the Recording King. It’s nice. Sounds and feels great. I have a Córdoba concert sized and it’s nice. A 8 string by Luna. Very nice. The 8 is a bit hard to press down on the strings believe it or not. The 8 is concert as well.

There is something special about a soprano uke. Since I don’t own one I may buy a Recording King.

I don’t have any experience with the Recording King but I bought a new Ohana concert uke from eBay from a seller who specializes in ukes. He puts good strings on it and does a proper set up before he ships. It was only 50 bucks more than the Recording King and it’s not plastic.

Jim, that’s a beauty!

Do you have other ukuleles as well in other sizes? Wondering how you like Concert verses other sizes.

I have bought two of their acoustic guitars and have been very happy with them. Great for travel and camping. With a good setup they play as well or better than my Martins - but they don't sound as good or nearly as loud.

Willie, I’ve tried their acoustics and I have to agree that they play and feel great. Nice sound too. Wonder if they make or will make an acoustic archtop too.

Jim, that’s a beauty!

Do you have other ukuleles as well in other sizes? Wondering how you like Concert verses other sizes.

– ThePolecats

I've only got the one. I always liked the way the concert sounded. Not too high, not too low. And it seemed to be more manageable to handle than the soprano.

Uke Song - Dream A Little Dream of Me

Cool fretboard. Gretsch made a reissue of the pearl fretboard Hawaiian with their Historic collection a few years back and it looked great.

I've always loved the look of the Gibson Century of Progress model. Definitely on my short list of acoustics if I cared enough about acoustics to spend money on one.

Tried out that Recording King Uke again today. Although nice and only $100 I decided to pass. Not that it didn't sound good but I played some Concert models and the Recording King Soprano and decided the Concert really is the right model for me in terms of playability and sound. I wanted a Soprano for a different feel and tone but I realize that the Concert is perfect for what I want and I can't justify buying another uke just to have a Soprano when I'd gravitate mostly to my Cordoba concert size most, if not all the time.

I've only got the one. I always liked the way the concert sounded. Not too high, not too low. And it seemed to be more manageable to handle than the soprano.

Uke Song - Dream A Little Dream of Me

– Jim Austin

I got a grin from your song Jim. Thanks for the link

I got a grin from your song Jim. Thanks for the link

– JW

No, thank you JW! Anytime I can make someone grin or laugh, I feel blessed.

Is there a Tiny Tim model?

That was funny, Jim.

Register Sign in to join the conversation