Other Guitars

planning the year

Well a new year means new projects.

First, hope to sell off last year's fascinations ( 9 strings and short scale Fender ) for partial funding -- but that's anyone's guess on when it would happen.

Last year's move to 24" to 25.5" scale basses is permanent and going well. Also calling off the quest for Rick 950.

This year it's all about 1960s Gibson 3/4s, except the too hi-$ ES 140. The quest is getting these single pickup guitars to have enough tone variation for Timid Folk Music. Got a good start with current Melody Maker, Single cut and SG body ones also targeted. Just missed an old single cut MM in silver sparkle.

Progress posted as it happens.

Gotta admire your forward thinking, DCBM! I wish I was as organised.

Good luck. My recent mania is for a Gibson as well, though in this case, it’s an acoustic. The wonderful J-185 has been reissued. Now, I already own the best acoustic in the world, a J-200. It took a year of trying out every one I could get my hands on to find and buy the best one. I still love it. However, I also remember back in 2009 spending each lunch break going to a local guitar shop and playing a J-185. It seemed perfect. It’s 24.75” scale and a 16” lower bout which fits me better than the giant jumbo I currently play. It also is a bit less boomy, more balanced. If they had this on their roster two years ago I might not have gotten the J-200. It’s possible that the “search for small” has rubbed off on me a bit from DCbird, but it’s more likely that I am nostalgic about the one I couldn’t afford and that I haven’t found the off switch for GAS. My logical mind says “stop it! Be happy with the J-200 that is way more guitar than my prowess deserves.” My GAS powered mind says “nonsense. I want one!

So you had a good year also.

No regrets about past obsessions, but for me time to move on.

I would love a J-200 (to look at) The only acoustic I want is the Gibson LG-2 3/4 recent 2018 issue which has a wider neck than the identical appearing somewhat earlier Arlo Guthrie model. But not seen except in Japan, and that ain't gonna happen.

GAS vs. good-enough -- everyone has that going on in some way.

Good luck. My recent mania is for a Gibson as well, though in this case, it’s an acoustic. The wonderful J-185 has been reissued. Now, I already own the best acoustic in the world, a J-200. It took a year of trying out every one I could get my hands on to find and buy the best one. I still love it. However, I also remember back in 2009 spending each lunch break going to a local guitar shop and playing a J-185. It seemed perfect. It’s 24.75” scale and a 16” lower bout which fits me better than the giant jumbo I currently play. It also is a bit less boomy, more balanced. If they had this on their roster two years ago I might not have gotten the J-200. It’s possible that the “search for small” has rubbed off on me a bit from DCbird, but it’s more likely that I am nostalgic about the one I couldn’t afford and that I haven’t found the off switch for GAS. My logical mind says “stop it! Be happy with the J-200 that is way more guitar than my prowess deserves.” My GAS powered mind says “nonsense. I want one!

– Bob Howard

I'm with you here, I would love a good J185, although as a full time musician with my gig numbers WAY down, for me, it's more of a dream:) I do have a very good maple bodied J100 Xtra though!

Register Sign in to join the conversation