Other Guitars

Pickup change to Newark St. X-175?

Looks like it might not get close enough to the strings without an extra spacer, or is that just the effect of the photo?

– WB

It’s the effect of the photo. Probably the angle I shot it at. It seemed pretty close in person but different in the photo.

ThePolecats, looks good on there!

If it's not bad form to do so, can I ask the brand name of the pickup (or the name of the seller)? I tried doing a search on Ebay but didn't see a match.

– reverb11

Not cheap but well worth it if you can afford it.

http://www.jmimusic.com/pro...

I didn’t install my Staple pickup in the X-175 but I did a dry fit.

The cover fits perfectly the holes for the screws in the cover line up with the holes in the guitar. I tried to drop the pick up in and it would fit but a little bit needs to be routed off or sanded off and it would fit. So I just may do that. Either myself or I’ll bring it to a guitar tech to do it. An actual P90 I’m not sure they’re the same size but who knows maybe it’s a little different but I Staple magnet pick up does fit with a little alteration.

– ThePolecats

Hey, I'm itching to do this exact mod to my x-175! Same shop selling the pups and everything! I clicked this picture in a google search to see if I wanted black or cream then read the thread.

I signed up just so I could ask.

Did it, or did it not fit int he Guild without sanding more away from the holes? Your post was a little unclear. I know the holes in the top are a little goofy and I was wondering if these would drop right in.

Any updates on how you like the swap after some time?

Here's a picture of the mounting hole in the top for reference. I know this is a dead thread, so I really appreciate any response. Thanks

Hey, I'm itching to do this exact mod to my x-175! Same shop selling the pups and everything! I clicked this picture in a google search to see if I wanted black or cream then read the thread.

I signed up just so I could ask.

Did it, or did it not fit int he Guild without sanding more away from the holes? Your post was a little unclear. I know the holes in the top are a little goofy and I was wondering if these would drop right in.

Any updates on how you like the swap after some time?

Here's a picture of the mounting hole in the top for reference. I know this is a dead thread, so I really appreciate any response. Thanks

– seenoevil

Hi. I just noticed your question to me. I forgot because it’s been too long. I may try to put it in again and see. If I recall the screw holes matched but the pickup was wider than the route so it will have to be routed a bit to fit but I don’t think that should be too difficult. I’ll try to do another dry fit and let you know how it goes.

From your picture I marked it up to show you something. It has been some time since I dry fit the Staples but from memories I felt the pickup cover holes in red fit correctly but the holes for the actual pickup in blue I don't recall. If I do another dry fit soon I will report back. I recall some routing must be done. It should be an easy job for a guitar tech if you don't know how to do such work.

Oops my error P90s won't use those other holes, so nothing to be concerned about

Oops my error P90s won't use those other holes, so nothing to be concerned about

– ThePolecats

Wow, thanks so much for getting back to me. I just saw all of these responses today.

If I needed to rout the hole to be larger, I wouldn't be sure I would or not. That's because the pick up rout is already cut into the two braces that hold the top up against the strings!

However, on the GAD blog, he looked inside a slightly different x-175 model made for DeArmond pickups, and in those pictures, it looks like guild routed an even bigger hole in those two braces right at the factory. You can see them here:

Link

Link

Thanks for your help! BTW, is that a lollar alcino p-90 in the last photo? Very nice.

Register Sign in to join the conversation