Other Guitars

People Who Buy Boutique Guitars Thousands of Dollars

Could you PM me a list of those people? I still have a new, unrelic'd BZ Tribute to move!

– Billy Zoom

Believe me they are out there they just need to find you!

Could you PM me a list of those people? I still have a new, unrelic'd BZ Tribute to move!

– Billy Zoom

Can’t you charge MORE if you relic it’s?!?

Just a very ordinary looking guitar, keeping in mind every sunburst Strat is extremely boring and ordinary looking. Buy a guitar that has the general features and looks you want and put your money into an amp that produces the sound(s) you're looking for and put your money into the things you can mod (if needed) such as bridges, frets, strings and have the action set by an excellent luthier to what floats your boat. Spend you money to get the playing you want and the amp for the sound.

Overpaying for something not considered enough sonically different (or artistically visually a standout) to warrant the money isn't or has been part of my mantra. Obviously YMMV.

There's definitely an element of cork-sniffery and Follow-the-Leader at play. Probably always has been, but YouTube and the internet have dialed it up to 11. Trends in the popularity of various guitar models come and go. At one point in time, Strats weren't cool, Les Pauls weren't cool. Jazzmasters weren't cool. Then they were. Then someone like Beck plays a cheap, pawn-shop-begotten Silvertone, and suddenly everyone is, and the prices start rising.

It's funny how many of these YouTube guitar gear gurus are playing the same brands - Fano, Suhr, etc. I'm sure they're good guitars, and maybe better than Fenders, Gibsons, etc. in some ways. But like many things – the cars we drive, the clothes we wear – I think a lot of it is image management.

That guy's MacMull sounds okay, good actually but not any better than my Fender Classic Player 60s Strat. I got that used for $499. No case. I think new they are maybe $700. That MacMull I am sure would have more attention to detail but my guitar is well made and even detail is good. To each his own as someone here said.

The one thing you have to keep in mind is a $6500 guitar will have the same crap sound as a cheap one if played thru a squire SS amp but plug a cheap guitar into (name your high quality amp here) and you can take notes about the about the difference. Apples vs oranges night vs day.

I have a ‘boutique’ custom guitar being built. It will have materials and features that aren’t available off-the-shelf, and it will be played...not just displayed.

And, I have two custom amps. One a beautiful ‘boutique’ Cave Valley by Ethan (Powdog) and the other a tweed bruiser made by Josh (JBGretschguy). Still getting to know all the features of the former, and totally smitten with the latter.

– Gerry Ratrod

I love my CVC Tele. Mine is a few years old, Crafted in China. Just put a set of Lollars in it, and it sounds and plays fantastic. Trying to post pics of it, but I keep getting an error. Will try again later.

That guy's MacMull sounds okay, good actually but not any better than my Fender Classic Player 60s Strat. I got that used for $499. No case. I think new they are maybe $700. That MacMull I am sure would have more attention to detail but my guitar is well made and even detail is good. To each his own as someone here said.

– ThePolecats

To be fair, a youtube video can't tell you how it feels, how lively it is, how light it is, how resonant it is acoustically. Do I think it's got $3000 worth of those qualities over a CS Fender, or $6000 over your Strat? Probably not even close. All I'm saying is that there are qualities that you can only assess with it in your hands, and just maybe, pocketbook permitting, it might be worth it to someone.

Can’t you charge MORE if you relic it’s?!?

– Junior Q Man (Ryan M)

I still don't understand, you take a NEW guitar and "relic" it? The price goes up. But the same guitar, honestly played for fifty years and the value is less? Your trying to make the new one into the original, seems to me that something is amiss? Given that they both are in the same condition.

"Jazz guys pay those amounts all the time,which is ironic considering the expected payoff."

This is hilarious and true!

I would defy anyone to notice a $3-4000 difference between a well setup US Strat and the $6500 Version. Thoufgh I support craftsman )and am somewhat of one myself) I think claiming a bolt on neck plank guitar can have $6500 worth of work in it is pretty strange. I personally think Fenders prices are nuts anyways. The amount of time, experience and skill level that goes into even a basic solid wood dreadnaught flattop acoustic (never mind archtops) is many many times more than any solidbody bolt on neck guitar.

Both can be made effectively in factories but acoustics will always require way more man hours and higher skill levels. You can only make the solid body electric so much better.

This isn't the difference between a Kia and a Maseratti.

This is the difference between a Kia and a custom made Kia that costs more than twice as much.

This isn't the difference between a Kia and a Maseratti. This is the difference between a Kia and a custom made Kia that costs more than twice as much. - Toxophilite

That's an excellent point. I have no qualms about the idea of paying a premium, even a massive premium, for exceptional workmanship and artistry. A quartz Timex is as accurate, if not moreso, than a Rolex Oyster Perpetual, but the design and crafsmanship of a mechanical automatic Rolex is a thing of beauty, and if you can afford one, more power to you. The functional results may be the same, but what goes into them are not even remotely comparable.

But when both the result and the method are pretty much the same thing, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Again, attention to detail, finish, fretwork, etc. do make a difference, and when you pay more, you can expect those things to be more carefully attended to. But on a standardly appointed Strat, there is only so much perfection you can attain, and if you can't get it done for the $3000ish Custom Shop prices, then something's not adding up.

I have guitars that were a few hundred dollars, up to guitars I've paid over $4000 for. I like them all. Each person has to decide the value in the guitars they are buying. Why did I pay so much for the expensive ones? Well, one reason is that I coveted the model since I was in my teens, and by the time I could afford one of the originals, that's what they were going for. But closer to the point I have a Made In Mexico 50's reissue Telecaster which I have about $1000 in with mods and a new case, and it sounds great. I also have a custom shop Deluxe Telecaster that cost 3 times that, and I surely can't hear the extra money in the tone. But I can feel the extra work that went into it, the wood is quite a bit lighter, and I didn't have to do any mods on it to get it there. If an expensive guitar floats your boat, and it you have the cash to buy it, why not. There are much more expensive hobbies out there. I know people who buy new cars every other year. They lose more more money on cars they trade in than I spend on guitars. To each his own...

$1000 Tele...

https://i.imgur.com/lAQ0yoy...

$3000 Tele (which I didn't pay that much for)...

We all love gear. But the truth is, gear are tools. It's NOT the gear- it's what you can do with it. This harkens back to "tone is in the hands"- and ALOT of PROS agree with that statement- but I actually think it's not the "hands", it's the player and his knowledge/experience of how to get what he wants out of his gear. Someone mentioned Jack Pearson, and he is of course the prime example of this.

Cool video, but not unusual. Not for anyone that's been playing as long as many of us have.

disclaimer, before somebody jumps:
NO, I'm not saying you can get a chicken pickin telecaster tone ala Don Rich or whoever out of a Gibson ES-295 with P-90s. But you know that already, it's a non-sequitor.

A guy I know plays those $10,000 Lagunedocs. Nice wood, but not even USA hardware. The selector switch was Chinese, not Switchraft.

well, that's a fairly specific subset of boutique-guitar people, folks that want the exact same guitar as their hero. the Languedoc is a nice design (though it's totally derived from the Fender Starcaster), but the only reason to spend $10K on one is because you really, really like Trey Anastasio.

I do not really really like Trey A. Nor do I like cheap hardware and electronics in a 10K guitar.

well, that's a fairly specific subset of boutique-guitar people, folks that want the exact same guitar as their hero. the Languedoc is a nice design (though it's totally derived from the Fender Starcaster), but the only reason to spend $10K on one is because you really, really like Trey Anastasio.

– macphisto

Is it just me or is this Trey guy just an endless noodler and a mini-me of Jerry Garcia?

Is it just me or is this Trey guy just an endless noodler and a mini-me of Jerry Garcia?

– ThePolecats

It's not just you. I think he's lame.

This video is inspiring.

– BuddyHollywood

Nothing against Classic Vibe Teles, but I didn't hear any earth shattering Tele tones in that video. I know as many people claiming that you don't need an expensive guitar as those who say you doWhatever works! Before Covid I was gigging as many nights a weeks as I wanted, and that would have been with a cheap guitar or a expensive guitar. I actually built a cheap little Gretsch like guitar to gig with so I wouldn't beat the hell out of my 6120. But I don't fool myself into thinking the cheapie is as good as the 6120. I've bonded with the cheapie though it gets the job done.

Daniel nice build you did. Was it hard to build? Takes skill to build an archtop.

Jack Pearson shows off his $87 Indonesian Squire.

In 2017, I wanted to buy a new Fender Stratocaster. I looked at the top two options, the Elite and the American Standard. I found that the American Standard Series was now the American Professional Series, as if January 1st 2017. The price of the new American Professional Stratocaster (in 2017) was 1399.99 (over 1500.00 after all applicable taxes).

The primary features that differentiate the new American Professional series from the former American Standard series include the following updates:

New Tim Shaw-designed, V-Mod single-coil Stratocaster pickups.

New modern, “Deep C”-shaped neck profile.

Bone nut.

22 narrow-tall frets.

Pop-in tremolo arm

Treble bleed circuit.

Inclusion of an elite, molded, hardshell case.

The Fender American Elite, priced at 1999.99, has the following upgrades over the Professional :

4th generation noiseless pickups and the option of HSS configuration, featuring the Tim Shaw Humbucker in the bridge position.

S-1 switch (in the center of the volume knob) that allows for ten different pickup configurations on the five way switch.

A new cutaway neck joint with an asymmetrical shape, allowing for easier access to the upper frets. Coupled with the body comfort contours.

A compound profile on all models starts with a modern “C”-shape at the nut that flattens out to a modern “D”-shape as you move down the neck, blending into the updated heel shape (rounded).

Fender locking tuners.

22 medium jumbo frets.

Compound fretboard radius, beginning with 10.5" at the nut, and gradually flattening to 14" at the 22nd fret.

True two way truss rod with an easily accessible adjustment wheel, located on end of the neck in the body/neck pocket.

Nitrocellulose lacquer instead of Polyurethane.

The Elite retains the bone nut, treble bleed circuit, and the pop in tremolo bar that were upgrades to the Professional Stratocaster.

In the end, I chose the American Elite Stratocaster, in three color sunburst and a maple fretboard. I have absolutely no regrets! The upgrades over the the Professional Series is very significant and IMO well worth the Elite price tag. It accomplishes everything that boutique models do, and then some for what I was looking for, at a third the price of the MacMull Strat style guitar and some of the other high end boutique models.

Two grand (for the Elite Strat) is pricy enough for this type of guitar, IMO, and probably too much. A truly great Strat experience can be had for far less of an investment. I will say, that the upgrades on the Elite that I love the most only took some extra sanding! The rounded heel, compound neck shape and fretboard radius make the most comfortable playing I've ever had. The Strat always gets triple time in my guitar rotation, I just don't like putting it back in the case. The upgrade I use the least is the S-1 Switch, it makes for a tremendous amount of tonal availability but I only use about three of them. Still, I'm happy they're all available, you never know what you'll need especially in a studio environment.

I have five electric guitars right now. They're the five that have made the cut over the year, the keepers. Each one does something completely different than the others, and are unique parts of my sonic toolkit. I don't have a favorite, they are all my favorite. They cover all the bases for what I need, and inspire me to play different things.

Register Sign in to join the conversation