Other Guitars

over $10K

Does anyone even know anyone who has spent over $10K for a guitar?

I am about to lay out $3500 which would break my record.

The who and what of if it can stay private of course, but would be interested if anyone really knows anyone who has busted the $10K level. Could be vintage,or could be hi-end private luthier type of build also.

Mabye I am just totally out of it and this happens more than I think.

Cam.

He had the means, then let us play them.

What a cool guy he was.

Yes, a few guys. My late tech/buddy got a '58 (first year,..) 335 at one point. We all told him he'd lost his mind, he had the last laugh when he sold it a couple years later with considerable profit.

And I know a couple of collector types who have things like 50's strat and teles. None of my friends who play for a living have guitars even near that price range though.

It's purely hypothetical in my case, as I don't think I'll ever even have an amount like that to spend on a guitar, but I couldn't see myself spending 10K on a guitar. There's more fun/interesting things you can do with that kind of money IMO. (that's at least five really nice amps, for example, ha ha!)

Never been remotely close. Can't see it happening.

It's probably a better return on investment than health insurance, though. What's the deductible? Will ANYthing count against it?

When these come up once every 5 years or so (about 30 made) they are in that 10K range... the Gibson EBSF 1250 doubleneck w/ EB 3 bass and SG --- plus kool built in Maestro fuzz. Neck dive?? Who cares!! I would be tempted....

Nope. That's about 3 times what I shelled out for my most expensive guitar. I have a buddy who was happy to part with a little over $4500 for a custom Larrivee about twelve years ago, though.

Still nowhere near 10G.

My most expensive is a 6129-BZ Billy Zoom Custom shop jet and it was about 40% that price.

I’m feeling better about buying my Country Club for $2000. I thought I was being ridiculously extravagant but I seem to be a lightweight.

When these come up once every 5 years or so (about 30 made) they are in that 10K range... the Gibson EBSF 1250 doubleneck w/ EB 3 bass and SG --- plus kool built in Maestro fuzz. Neck dive?? Who cares!! I would be tempted....

– DCBirdMan

No Maestro fuzz but Maurice Gibb's 1968 EBS-1250 is up for auction in September. . .

It's not on the site yet but here's the Link

Cam was as close as I will come to that much money on a guitar as well. Maybe if I won the lottery, but that’s about it.

Yes I have once. I never ever thought I would pay anything like that for a guitar and I think it would have been really silly if I did…. But I got extremely lucky and I could get a 1960 Telecaster for well over 10k without even really spending that amount of money.
I have a very nice collection of vintage guitars but I bought most of them in the 80s when traveling around the US. They were just old guitars then and the pawn shops were full of them.

I traded a 57 Gretsch Jet Firebird for a 67 Tele. I had bought the Gretsch long ago and it had gotten worth more (and I had two anyway…). And still I did get a very good deal on the Tele. But then the Tele turned out to be worth a whole lot more than I expected because it was a custom color. When I saw the 60 Tele for sale (for far less than the prices you see online nowadays) I sold my 67 Tele with a huge profit to AToyBoy Guitars in the UK. I then added a little bit more and bought the 60 Tele.
So yes, I bought a guitar for over 10k. But in reality I paid far less than 10k for it. But I did physically pay that amount, it just didn’t feel like it. I really got lucky and I accept the consequences…. ; )

But do you like the guitar? Irrespective of market value, does it sound or play or feel thousands of credits better than another Tele?

Cam handed me a custom shop Gretsch white falcon appointed in maple trims. When he told me what it was worth, I handed it back like it was a baby with brittle bone syndrome. He shared his expensive guitars freely. Wanted them to be enjoyed. Many nights at billy d’s bar jams, there would be six of cans guitars being enjoyed by multiple guitarists.

But do you like the guitar? Irrespective of market value, does it sound or play or feel thousands of credits better than another Tele?

– Proteus

Yes, I do love the guitar. I have to refret it because now it's hard to play with tiny, low frets. But after I refretted it, it will be great. It resonates beautifully and feels and sounds amazing. Much better than any modern Tele I have played.

But that said: I have a whole lot of guitars and several of them have the same magic. I completely love them but they were (and are) no where near the price of this one. And to me there is no difference. I think a guitar in any price range can be an amazing instrument. It's just that some of them have gotten more expensive because of the market. And if you happen to love Teles and would like a vintage one, then you'll have to pay more money. It's as simple as that.

But the guitar I play most and absolutely love is my 71 Tele that I got for almost nothing in 1987. It wasn't original so I could change the pick ups and bridge etc and now it's my favorite guitar. Exactly the way I want it to be.
And right now I am finally finishing my Corvette build. I played it for a while without lacquer and just couldn't put it down.

So it has nothing to do with money and to me it's irrelevant. I just happened to be able to get a very expensive guitar for a great price. Otherwise I wouldn't have. And to me it's worth the same as my 71 or any other guitar that I own and love. It just happens to be a very cool guitar....

I did in 1998. I bought a 57' Falcon. I was single and had the means at the time. I knew the guitar was very very rare. It was a Dearmond spec Falcon with Pre Paf filtertrons.

I had it for many years and sold it for more than I paid.

I gigged with it a bit. A huge guitar really. In the end I always went back to my 6120's. I wish I could find a picture of it somewhere.

My max was about $2159 on my 1965 Mosrite Mark V and that was a stretch for me.

I think a guitar in any price range can be an amazing instrument. It's just that some of them have gotten more expensive because of the market.

That sums up my experience as well. Weirdly, price alone is no predictor of how wonderful a guitar will be.

Oh yeah,a friend in Europe did,but like Danman he traded toward it, so it wasn't like shelling out the full 10K.

Most i've ever spent on a guitar was £4150,and that was back in 1999,but i had to sell a few things and got a loan to do it,but i'll never do that again,get a loan that is!

I always wanted a 1955 6120, but they were always out of my budget ,and even more so now,only way i could attain one now would be to trade my vintage Gretsches toward it ,i doubt that'll happen though as i haven't bought a vintage geet in 18 years.

My guitar budget these days is under 2K,and under 1.5K if at all possible!

No Maestro fuzz but Maurice Gibb's 1968 EBS-1250 is up for auction in September. . .

It's not on the site yet but here's the Link

– Mr Tubs

Dang so there is one. Neck pick up does not look original, and there's an added mini toggle but still you can't quibble when it's one of 35 or so. Was walnut a standard finish in '68.. would have thought later. Still will keep an eye on this. But if I can barely stand to spend 3500 on a guitar, I am sure this one will get away.

A friend of mine, a huge SRV fan, bought an early 60s Strat (sunburst with rosewood fretboard) back in the 90s. He gigged with it A LOT, had to have it refretted at least twice (don't know how many times it had been done by previous owners, but the luthier said the fretboard wouldn't survive yet another refret). He sold it with a profit, despite having played it nearly to death, and I think he paid more than 10K when he first bought it.

I think a guitar in any price range can be an amazing instrument. It's just that some of them have gotten more expensive because of the market.

That sums up my experience as well. Weirdly, price alone is no predictor of how wonderful a guitar will be.

– Proteus

Luckily not. Otherwise everyone would be playing shitty guitars except for Joe Bonamassa..... ; )

My most expensive guitar so far is my Gretsch FSR black 6120DSW (my avatar) at $2100. I love the guitar, have gigged it many times, and keep it in my sight at all times ! Paid almost as much for my 6120N. Both are worth every penny...

In my mind, the $10k mark has different meaning depending on the instrument.

Electric Guitars: between my brother and I, we have owned US Fenders, Gibsons, and top grade PRS, as well as my beautiful 6122-1959. All beautiful guitars that play and sound great. None even come close to $10k. I also love my el cheapo Squier Jazzmaster once the electronics were swapped out. I see little need to move into the five digits. The only guitars in that space are certain vintage models. Maybe there are added benefits to those instruments, but they come at a steep price. I don’t know anyone with these guitars.

Acoustic Guitars: this is a different story. I have a beautiful Collings acoustic that is still well below $10k, but this would be considered entry level to serious acoustic players. Lots of guitars top the $10k mark both vintage and modern custom builds. I actually think there is a greater value proposition over electrics. I know two people locally in this space and they both buy and sell regularly (and one is a Martin dealer).

Pianos: anyone still into real pianos will easily spend $10k for an entry level small grand. I know lots of people in this space. A family friend has a Faziolli... now you’re looking at six digits.

Organs: my dad is a church organist and that is a whole other world. Many have custom built instruments in their homes that they continue to refine over the years. Not cheap.

Cam was so generous with his CS guitars. When he came to French Lick, he brought a slew of them. Not even sure how he had room but he was so adamant that we all pick them up and play them. There's a video somewhere with Sam, Charlie Vegas Tartan phantom and myself playing them acoustically at the event.

Those were very nice instruments. Worth every bit of 10k.

A story that I can share about that trip. We all loaded our gear into the part of the building that we were using and left them locked up over night. The next morning, I got up and went to our rented space to get in and there were a lot of important looking people coming into our space. They seemed to be in awe of all of our gear. I made a few playful statements about keeping people up and asked if we were too loud. They just stood there with a blank look on their faces. Finally I said "Okay, what's going on here?" One of the more important looking folks said that there was a guitar missing. I was shocked and said no way! There are ten 10k guitars just in that stand over there and pointed at Cams guitars, which looked like they were still all there. Suddenly they all looked stunned! and one of them even gasped for air. Long story cut short, it ended up being one of the guitars that Joe C had sent via Fedex and Fedex had lost it. I don't know if that guitar ever was recovered. Joe?

i don't recall having $10K together in one place ever except in a 401k i had to liquidate when i was out of work. i can't imagine paying $10K for a guitar when that would pay my rent for 5/6 of the year. i don't even think that all my guitars together are worth $10k, and i have eight electrics, three acoustics, and a bass! the most i ever spent on a guitar was $1250 for a Rickenbacker 360.

Register Sign in to join the conversation