Other Guitars

Other than Michael Nesmith …

and Robert Lockwood, what guitar players can you think of that are known to play electric 12 strings other than Rickenbackers? I guess Glen Campbell and Roy Clark with Ovations.

George Harrison and Brian Wilson switched to other electric 12s.
Hank Marvin a Burns
Someone is playing a 12 on the Ventures Action Plus. Nokie on a Mosrite?
Hilton Valentine Vox on Animals It's My Life
Vincent Bell

I seem to recall Jimmy Page carrying around a 12 string neck...

Ooh, and Jimmie Rivers too.

Campbell had Ovation, Fender, and Hamer & 12strings in his ensemble. Concert footage can be found for all three electrics.

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall seeing George Harrison with one "other than Ric" at least once.

Baba Joe just beat me to it with Don Felder. Alex Lifeson of Rush is the only other I can think of.

Harrison had a shoreline gold Fender XII on his 1991 Japan tour

Nancy Wilson - Ovation?, PRS Electric

"Little Girl" by "The Syndicate of Sound"

Even though many videos show "Rickenbackers", it was actually done in the studio on a Fender 12 string that came out in 1965-66.

I heard that first hand cause, "Bob Gonzales", who co-wrote the song, and is the Bass player for the band, told me the whole story and how they, then, got this new Fender 12 solid body/ w the Gumby headstock ,, and, so recorded the studio version on that.

Don Felder

– Baba Joe

I assume you're referring to the double neck. There are a few of those. Thanks.

"Little Girl" by "The Syndicate of Sound"

Even though many videos show "Rickenbackers", it was actually done in the studio on a Fender 12 string that came out in 1965-66.

I heard that first hand cause, "Bob Gonzales", who co-wrote the song, and is the Bass player for the band, told me the whole story and how they, then, got this new Fender 12 solid body/ w the Gumby headstock ,, and, so recorded the studio version on that.

– Geoffrey E. Stich

Always loved this tune.

Herb Alpert’s guy (can’t remember his name) used a Fender XII on those records.

And Vic Flick, I believe, used a Burns 12 on “World Without Love” by Chad and Jeremy.

Tub- Herb's guy was John Pisano, one of the busiest sidemen in the industry. When the original Tijuana Brass recordings (which were pretty much all Alpert, plus one or two Wrecking Crew guys) took off, a 'real' band was needed. Pisano was hired as guitar player and stayed with Herb until the Brass disbanded in the early 70's.

John is still around today, and at age 87 still playing and still popping up on the odd recording here and there.

Tub- Herb's guy was John Pisano, one of the busiest sidemen in the industry. When the original Tijuana Brass recordings (which were pretty much all Alpert, plus one or two Wrecking Crew guys) took off, a 'real' band was needed. Pisano was hired as guitar player and stayed with Herb until the Brass disbanded in the early 70's.

John is still around today, and at age 87 still playing and still popping up on the odd recording here and there.

– Kevin Frye

PISANO! That’s right! Thanks, bud! I love that he’s still with us and still working!!!!

I stand corrected about his being on the recordings. Thank ya for that as well. I shoulda done the math factoring in the Wrecking Crew guys on the records.

Carl Wilson used a hybrid Gibson/Epiphone 12 at least onstage in his later days with The Beach Boys.

I seem to recall seeing Robert Smith playing a Gretsch 12 string once...

John Phillips of the Mamas and Papas always used a Gibson electric 12:

And John McLaughlin used two doubleneck 12's with the Mahavishnu Orchestra --- first a Gibson EDS 1275 Then the famous "Double Rainbow" custom made by Rex Bogue

These days he sometimes plays a PRS doubleneck:

Alex Lifeson of Rush has long been associated with his Gibson EDS-1275:

Herb Alpert’s guy (can’t remember his name) used a Fender XII on those records.

And Vic Flick, I believe, used a Burns 12 on “World Without Love” by Chad and Jeremy.

– tubwompus

Tub ---- shame on you! "A World Without Love" was by Peter and Gordon, not Chad and Jeremy. Peter Asher is a Gretsch guy, and was the special guest at the NorCal RoundUp not so very long ago.

True, they're both British, and both featured a guy with glasses, but they sounded very different.

Peter and Gordon

Chad and Jeremy

It's good to see Robert Jr. Lockwood remembered here. I used to love his "Does 12" LP.

Tom Petty was known to play a Fender 12-string on occasion, as was Bruce Springsteen.

Nels Cline of Wilco plays a Danelectro 12 (or is it a Jerry Jones?).

Tub ---- shame on you! "A World Without Love" was by Peter and Gordon, not Chad and Jeremy. Peter Asher is a Gretsch guy, and was the special guest at the NorCal RoundUp not so very long ago.

True, they're both British, and both featured a guy with glasses, but they sounded very different.

Peter and Gordon

Chad and Jeremy

– Parabar

[tub hides face in shame and embarrassment]

Register Sign in to join the conversation