Other Guitars

OK, Mosrite & Mosritalike Questions from a Newly Converted Shopper

Thanks for the pics, info, and comparisons. Helps clarify the lay of the land.

The Avenger looks pretty nice, but I don't know about sunburst.

The Fillmore is gorgeous. That's the one you should sell! I bet I know someone who might want it.

Thanks for the pics, info, and comparisons. Helps clarify the lay of the land.

The Avenger looks pretty nice, but I don't know about sunburst.

The Fillmore is gorgeous. That's the one you should sell! I bet I know someone who might want it.

– Proteus

LOL, yes I know someone who might want it! I probably will keep it but I am always on the look out for Mosrites even though I should not buy anymore. Good deals show up every now and then so if I see a steal on a nice Fillmore or Kurukumo Excellent I definitely will tell you.

i rather like the sound of the pickups, but there's a weird plinky quality to single-note lines that kind of reminds me of the Fender Mustang. i assume that this is due to the bridge design, and wonder if there's a relatively simple way to fix this.

i also wonder what one of these pickups would sound like in a lap steel.

[Johnny Carson voice]weird, wacky, wild stuff.[/voice]

Not the color I would look for but I agree. Since Proteus has voiced an occasional preference for blue guitars, I wanted him to see it. Eddie B and Dr Milk Truck may be intrigued as well.

Wow! Not in the market but I like that color.

Thank you for thinking of me, Don. I watch Reverb, but not always Ebay (where when Mosrite shopping I'm overwhelmed with multiple listings for apparently the same guitar, apparently from every dealer and broker in Japan).

It's a handsome guitar. I actually quite like it, but I don't think it's first on my list. That would be a tie between candy apple red, the pearl white, or this phenomenal combo, which Bob Shade insists is actually his "Fire Sparkle Burst," faded over years. It's not - the flakes are smaller on the old one than in his color, besides the difference in hues - but he seems uninterested in trying to match the look of the vintage piece.

I kinda don't want sunburst, which is the most common color by some measure - and that's slowing the search for the right affordable piece.

The blue one would be far more compelling if the price got real. 60 bucks less than I can get it new from Hallmark (shipped free) doesn't convince me. Not to mention 160.00 to ship it from Japan. Nother words, 100.00 more to buy the used one than new in my choice of color. Hmm.

ATTN Mosriters:

Ishibashi Music in Japan listed 8-countem-EIGHT vintage Mosrites today, in a spectacular phantasmagorical chromatorium of delicious colors, some of them pretty rare. Some Intense Japanese Dude must've let go of a whole collection - or his estate is offloading them.

Scroll ye down to the third and fourth rows. https://reverb.com/marketpl...

Iffen it was the right time for me, and I was in at that end of the market...it'd be a big day.

Actually, only one of those (the ink blue one) is a vintage Mosrite, all the others are japanese reissues.

Huh. Intense Japanese Dudes. Can't even get the whole story from them.

I wondered about the "63" models, with the set neck. Hadn't seen Mosrites with exactly that joint.

Wonder what era the reissues are from.

Probably the last 20 years. The ones that say "Excellent" and "Super Custom" are made by Kurokumo (Black Cloud) and are usually really nice pieces, with the Super Custom being their high end model. If you see the words "Ranger" or "Avenger" those are also copies. On second look the wine red one is also an original vintage example.

The solution to this problem was pretty simple for me.....I stopped agonizing over a vintage example (too expensive or too beat) or a MIJ copy (too many variations and was worried about shipping from Japan w/ all the CITES mess)....so I contacted Bob Shade and got a new Hallmark. I did have the advantage of being in reasonable driving distance from Hallmark so I was able to try out the guitars in person. It came down to a Pearl White vs Pearl Blue (which for reference purposes actually is identical to the metallic Aegean Blue of my 2018 Honda Civic EX-T Coupe) but the combination of the Pearl White and red tort pick guard won out.....but it was close. The slightly wider nut width, crowned frets, and upgrades in materials, spec's and affordable price and beautiful workmanship of the Hallmark didn't hurt either.

I emailed Bob Shade and got a quick response.

“Hi Bob!

Nice to hear from you. I do not have a showroom at this time. I have met people at my place from time to time if they want to make a purchase locally. I do not have guitars set up and ready to go until I know what you are looking for.

If there is a guitar you have interest in purchasing we can make arrangements to get together for you to check it out.

Best and thanks,

Bob Shade Hallmark Guitars”

Gretschadelphia, where did you meet Bob.

I never knew there was much of a body size difference between models until I compared my '66 Joe Maphis model 1 with my '67 Combo. The Maphis was more than slightly bigger, and would not fit in a case that accomodated the Combo.

I was suprise by the weight of it though, as initially I thought it was a slab. Turns out they made a heavily chambered non f-hole model in the Maphis.

If you'd like, Proteus, I can bring it to Nashville for you to pick at. Let me know.

I love the Mark V body type. Hallmark makes one based on this model or the Gospel. At the OC guitar show there was a Hallmark Gospel for sale. If I didn’t have a Mark V already I would have bought it. I didn’t plug in but I picked it up and played unplugged. It felt great. My Mark V is hard to play but this Hallmark was so easy to play. Mark V pickups are magical but not sure if this Hallmark has the magical tone tho. It’s on my list to by even if I have a Mark V, just not now.

I emailed Bob Shade and got a quick response.

“Hi Bob!

Nice to hear from you. I do not have a showroom at this time. I have met people at my place from time to time if they want to make a purchase locally. I do not have guitars set up and ready to go until I know what you are looking for.

If there is a guitar you have interest in purchasing we can make arrangements to get together for you to check it out.

Best and thanks,

Bob Shade Hallmark Guitars”

Gretschadelphia, where did you meet Bob.

– Bob Howard

Just like Bob's reply to your inquiry.....told him what model I was interested in and what colors and he let me know what was available immediately and what was in the pipeline and what would be a longer wait. Fortunately he had two 65 Customs in colors I was interested in and made arrangements to meet him at his place to see and play the guitars in person. It was a very positive experience and Bob could not have been more helpful.

Well gosh fellers. I don't want to distract us all from the Gretschness, but if you'd bring those guitars I sure would love to hear'em play'em.

Register Sign in to join the conversation