Other Guitars

Oh No Billy Bo!

There's a fine line between homage and ripoff.

I'll have to say it's temping, since Gretsch doesn't offer an Electromatic. $1000.00 for a custom shop guitar is unheard of.

That's just plain wrong.

Does Gretsch not have any IP rights protection on the design of this guitar?

It is things like this that make me think that I never want to own an Eastwood guitar.

I'll have to say it's temping, since Gretsch doesn't offer an Electromatic. $1000.00 for a custom shop guitar is unheard of.

– Suprdave

Especially one made by master luthier Stephane Settern.

Well, you can still buy the Electromatic Billy Bo....oh hang on, THEY DON'T MAKE ONE! Shoulda listened to us.

Well, you can still buy the Electromatic Billy Bo....oh hang on, THEY DON'T MAKE ONE! Shoulda listened to us.

That's just plain wrong.

Does Gretsch not have any IP rights protection on the design of this guitar?

It is things like this that make me think that I never want to own an Eastwood guitar.

– Ric12string

No distain for Kustom and Mosrite copies? Kinda the same thing

Yeah yeah yeah, I know it ain't that simple

What in the fresh hell?!?!!! Even on my small faced iPhone it looks to even have TVJones PU in it,that right? Guitar bodies,necks, & headstocks have been copied for years but damn that logo is straight up jacked.

– RichB555

Well, Kustom has been out of business for decades, and for all practical purposes, so has Mosrite. I'm no lawyer, but I think there's not much harm in copying something when there's no one left to defend the IP.

The Billy-Bo, on the other hand, is pretty current, and the company that offers it is alive and well last I checked.

So yeah, I'm in the "How is that OK" camp.

Rickenbacker has issued "cease and desist" letters to companies making guitars that don't even resemble actual Ric models, but just have certain similar design features, so somebody at Gretsch or FMIC oughtta have plenty of grounds for this one.

I seriously doubt the final version will exactly look like this. Specs say: „Pickups - Humbucker“. How promising.

Well, Kustom has been out of business for decades, and for all practical purposes, so has Mosrite. I'm no lawyer, but I think there's not much harm in copying something when there's no one left to defend the IP.

The Billy-Bo, on the other hand, is pretty current, and the company that offers it is alive and well last I checked.

So yeah, I'm in the "How is that OK" camp.

– Baxter

I’m in the same camp, but just cause there’s no one left to defend it doesn’t make it right. Wonder how Bud Ross’ family feels about the Kustom copies.

Point is - the copy business is alive and well. Eastwood doesn’t have a corner on the ripoff market.

I defend Eastwood's revival of derelict, defunct, no-one-else-doing-it obsolete brands - though not always the way they spec the guitars.

This one is waaay over the line to me: healthy contemporary brand, current model. And at least it looks like a much closer "copy" than his not-so-true "Classic" line.

I'm sure FMIC will be aware of this. We'll see.

In the comments section they talk about TV Jones pickups which I think is interesting.

I still have a deposit down for the Moderne copy (seen further down on the page). Got delayed, so I'm still waiting.

I would kill to have a Billy-Bo body at an "Electromatic" price point although I would be buying it just because it's that body style and cheap, not because I like the guitar that much, which sounds paradoxical, I know. Edit to add, the final price on this is $999.00 which I would not consider an Electromatic price point. LOL

They had previously made a Billy-Bo-esque version here:

Link

A pictures worth more than a thousand words hey. Nice one Joe

we do still want an electromatic billy bo tho!!!

fmic moved a lot of offsets when they started squier branding them...jazzmasters, jags, 6 string bass etc etc

cheers

ps- i'm shocked john hall over @ ric hasn't gone after them for their "ricky" lap steel!!

pickups = "humbucker"

an Electromatic version would be cool (with Filtertrons)

There was an Eastwood version of the AstroJet: I assumed that was a kosher licensing deal. If this isn't, someones gonna get hurt....

– RichB555

If I played those brands of guitar, I am sure that I would feel much the same way.

Register Sign in to join the conversation