Other Guitars

Obsession Over Blue

I think my next guitar build is going to have something like this drum wrap on the top:

I think my next guitar build is going to have something like this drum wrap on the top:

– Otter

That would be cool!

Ahem. Beat you to it!

Ahem. Beat you to it!

– Parabar

Very cool. Love the contrast between the top and the side.

drmilktruck, I see you have a blue amp. Do you go further and get yourself blue guitar straps, blue picks, blue guitar cable, blue capos....?

drmilktruck, I see you have a blue amp. Do you go further and get yourself blue guitar straps, blue picks, blue guitar cable, blue capos....?

– Spiritwalker

Blue underpants

– Spiritwalker

I have numerous blue guitar straps and blue guitar picks. I won a blue guitar cable at a My Music raffle. I don't have a blue capo. I have had blue underwear but not currently. I have a blue Apple Watch band. We did have a fair amount of blue in our house, but my wife has steadily eliminated that.

As a Minnesotan, I'm obligated to love this song.

No joking here, have you ever wondered what this is all about? Why such an obsession with one color? You have bought a ton of guitars...blue. Heck, you can like any color you want; we all do. But you have carried it over to some psychopathic, deranged, disturbing, alert the neighbors sickness. (Hey, I was only kidding with that last sentence. Let me try it again.) But you have carried this over to something that would make one wonder a bit why it is so. Have you ever questioned why or pinned it down to why such a passion and obsession for blue guitars exists?

No joking here, have you ever wondered what this is all about? Why such an obsession with one color? You have bought a ton of guitars...blue. Heck, you can like any color you want; we all do. But you have carried it over to some psychopathic, deranged, disturbing, alert the neighbors sickness. (Hey, I was only kidding with that last sentence. Let me try it again.) But you have carried this over to something that would make one wonder a bit why it is so. Have you ever questioned why or pinned it down to why such a passion and obsession for blue guitars exists?

– Spiritwalker

I tend to get very caught up in something and go all in. I also tend to like offbeat things, like Gretsch guitars (not Fender or Gibson) or Apple products (never Microsoft or Android.) I've loved blue since I was a kid. I latched onto blue guitars as something a little different, unique, special, eccentric. There are nowhere near as many blue guitars as there are sunburst, black, red, etc... Interests like this become self-supporting - Blue guitars leads to discovering new things like Picasso's Old Guitarist painting, Wallace Stevens' poem, Yves Klein's art, Johnny Smith's album, other books, music, Blue Footed Boobie birds, blue milk trucks, lapis lazuli gemstones, powdered ultramarine pigments, etc... It's led to painting guitars & other creative endeavors. Plus I get positive feedback here and on G-T.

I have time and a little extra money to indulge myself. I'm having fun and despite my over the top presentation I really don't take it that seriously. (I do own non-blue guitars and many non-blue objects.)

Thank you for your concern.

Not sure why, but this beautiful thread reminds me of this song...

This whole thread is blu-tiful.

This whole thread is blu-tiful.

– Toddfan

Thanks Toddfan. I see TR is coming to the Twin Cities this summer.

Interesting. I realised some time ago that I only like guitars in warm colours - organic, natural wood kinda colours. Except in Strats - there I like beat-up white. But for everything else I like to see the grain of the timber and prefer naturals, ambers, reds, yellows - that kinda thing. A friend has a PRS in blue - flame maple in a deep electric blue. Strangely compelling to look at but it just looks wrong to me.

On the right guitar I like a tobacco sunburst, but that isn't Strats or Teles. I fact Teles in sunburst look wrong to me too! But purples, blues, greens, aquas - not my thing. Doesn't make them wrong, just not for me.

I too, have a blue obsession. But really, only for one particular, and particularly unobtainable guitar....

That said, I may be able to stem the need with this...

That said, I may be able to stem the need with this...

– Kevin Frye

Very pretty Kevin!

Thanks Toddfan. I see TR is coming to the Twin Cities this summer.

– drmilktruck

Lucky Twin Cities! I probably won't travel to see this tour, but am still hoping that he makes it back to the KC area.

I've only got one guitar in "blue"...my PRS Custom 22 in Whale Blue....and, it even has a blue strap!

Register Sign in to join the conversation