Other Guitars

NTGD, new travel guitar day.

I'm off to Barbados with a guitar playing buddy, a good excuse to buy a travel guitar. I had a baby Taylor in mind but when I tried a few out the Little Martin LXK2 was easily the best. I scored a used one off the bay. I can't believe how such a tiny guitar (with composite back & sides) can sound so good.

Of course a few things bugged me; the light coloured wood of the neck (birch laminate) looked wrong against the dark (Koa) body. Martin also do a spruce top, which has a dark neck, shouldn't it be the other way round? So, I sanded the back of the neck & stained it with some thinned rosewood stain & tru-oiled it.

Also, the die cast tuners, against the tiny body, made it neck heavy. So I installed some lighter Grover Sta-tites, which improved the balance a lot. Plus it looks like a proper Martin now. A fret dress & some fine tuning of the nut & it's a great little player now.

Nice. I have a Martin backpacker that I take sometimes. Ergonomically it sucks.

Yup, tried one of those, too weird.

I have a Backpacker as well. They do take some getting used to, and you MUST use the strap, but once you get it figured out, it's a decent practice tool. You can play it in a recliner, and it makes for a good emergency paddle when you're stuck up the creek.

I bought a Baby Taylor when they first came out. I was living in an unsafe apartment w/ paper thin walls and it was perfect. Quiet, portable, unbreakable, and I wouldn't have fallen into a deep funk if it ever got stolen.

That was a lifetime ago. The other day, i found it in my basement, tuned it up and tried to play it. I find it hard to believe that i was so attached to it.

Your Koa looks gorgeous.

Really cute and have a great break.

I'm off to Barbados with a guitar playing buddy, a good excuse to buy a travel guitar. I had a baby Taylor in mind but when I tried a few out the Little Martin LXK2 was easily the best. I scored a used one off the bay. I can't believe how such a tiny guitar (with composite back & sides) can sound so good.

– tonyb

I also never leave home for holidays without a pair of cream P90 covers. ;)

Have a great time, T!

Great acquisition...congratulations! Have a great trip!

They're sunbathing Sascha, to bleach them out a bit. For another Goldtop I'm doing.

They're sunbathing Sascha, to bleach them out a bit. For another Goldtop I'm doing.

– tonyb

Be careful in the sun, Tony. You know in contrast to the covers guys like you and me do not bleach out.

Register Sign in to join the conversation