Other Guitars

NMD (New Martin Day)

*Note -- GDP is not allowing me to post any photos. There are photos for this guitar on the "other" site -- http://www.gretsch-talk.com...

In the world of acoustic guitars, Martin has always been at the top of my various Bucket Lists. Bought my first one (used) over 50 years ago. After 30+ years, which saw a few other swaps, I bought my first NEW Martin (a D-41) in 1997. At the time it felt and sounded like the only acoustic guitar I would ever want or need.

…….That is, until the last decade or so. As my vintage hands got vintage-ier I was finding myself wishing for the same Martin but with an electric guitar-type neck. For 2018 Martin introduced “Reimagined” Standard models that feature “High Performance Taper” necks. The GAS reared its ugly head again….seriously, this time….

I’ve been selling some gear in recent months, taking in more cash than anticipated. With ever increasing GAS and extra $$$, I went to my favorite Toy Store (D-Town Guitars, Doylestown, PA) where there is typically a large inventory of Martins. I entered the shop with my trusty ’97 D-41 and wallet and left with a brand new D-42 and leaner wallet.

To my ears, the Martin “40” series guitars have always had a superior sound than other lines including the various iterations of the D-28. I’ve had opportunities to A/B test both and the D-41/D42 have a much fuller and richer sound. To be sure, all the D-28’s have been WONDERFUL guitars and have been hugely popular. The D-28 is to Martin as the Strat is to Fender. During this latest venture there were 6 different D-28’s available and I tried them all. The D-42 was the clear winner. The D-42 also had a fuller bass than my D-41 but never overpowered the mids or trebles. Apparently the D-42’s newer forward bracing improves articulation and sustain to the entire range of sounds.

The NECK – This was the clincher for me. The neck shares the specs of my Gretsch 6122-1959 – 25.4” scale length, 1-3/4” nut, 2-1/8” at the 12th fret. It feels “the same” as my 6122-59 in my hands even though it came stock with Martin’s “medium” strings. At .013-.056, those strings are getting into guy wire territory in my view.

The workmanship, fit and finish are flawless. In my opinion the guitar is jaw-dropping gorgeous. The D-42 has just enough elegance without over-doing its bling. It has a huge sound - yet tasteful, full, well balanced; a real joy to play.

Nice looking guitar! Congrats. Does this replace a Gretsch as well as the D-41?

Nice looking guitar! Congrats. Does this replace a Gretsch as well as the D-41?

– Baba Joe

NO...... It replaces one of Bad Henry's guitars and the D-41.

Thanks!

Ooh, ooh, ooh! A new Martin! Lovely guitar, Dan. I have a D-41 from the early Seventies. It plays okay, but it doesn't have the sound of some of the others that I have played with a different bracing. The bridge plate in that era tended to be pretty thick and reportedly doesn't allow the same resonance. In my case, that is definitely so.

I love that D-42 model. The tuners are very cool. The MOP along the fretboard extension is also something to like. Are the inlays snowflakes? or dots? I have always liked the snowflake inlays.

In any event, ya done well, Dan. Maybe make a recording for us to hear?

NO...... It replaces one of Bad Henry's guitars and the D-41.

Thanks!

– senojnad

Whew!

Congrats, and no need explaing the Martin "40" thing. She's a beauty.

My lifetime lust has been a "40" something.

I'll keep dreaming, and you keep enjoying.

Again, congrats.

Thanks, Bob!

Inlays are snowflakes. When all is right I'll add a better photo of the fret board.

I was truly surprised in the difference in tone/sound between the new D-42 and my '97 D-41. I was expecting a toss-up. The D-41 had 2-month old strings with only moderate use, so that should not have made a big difference.

Congrats on a beautiful guitar!

Sidenote: I bought my (long gone now) Swart STR Tremolo Amp from D-Town...they were great to work with! Even more of a coincidence, considering I am in the mid-west!

Congrats on a beautiful guitar!

Sidenote: I bought my (long gone now) Swart STR Tremolo Amp from D-Town...they were great to work with! Even more of a coincidence, considering I am in the mid-west!

– Toddfan

Thanks!

I've been dealing with Rob (D-Town) for a LONG time. He is very helpful and knowledgeable as well as a competent luthier. He also offers the best prices that I've seen....

Are the inlays snowflakes? or dots?

Snowflakes --

Are the inlays snowflakes? or dots?

Snowflakes --

– senojnad

I'm just glad that I live a long way from the Martin factory. Always have wanted to visit and take in the sounds, smells, and playing experience.

If I drove out, I can just see it now. Sell the car, and walk across the country back home..............with the biggest smile in the world and picking every mile! Lol

What a beauty you have.

That’s a lovely guitar, enjoy it!

Nice guitar! I had a '94 D-41 for years . . . it sounded like a choir of angels, it did. Play that D-42 in good health.

Beautiful guitar, enjoy it in good health! My wife bought me a Martin CEO-7 a couple years ago and I just love it and her! Thanks john

Congrats on the new Martin, Dan! That is a beaut ! Enjoy!
A Martin has been on my bucket list for a long time. Maybe someday..

JD- I hear you about the factory. I've only been once (I'm less than an hour away) and the Martin GAS was fired WAY up after that !

Congrats on the new Martin, Dan! That is a beaut ! Enjoy!
A Martin has been on my bucket list for a long time. Maybe someday..

JD- I hear you about the factory. I've only been once (I'm less than an hour away) and the Martin GAS was fired WAY up after that !

– Metman

Oh man, if I lived an hour away, I would have been working there.......doing anything.

That's a beautiful guitar, Dan. Congratulations. I own a couple of Martins, but nothing in the 40 range. She's a beauty.

I have a Martin D-40 Herringbone Mark Knopfler. I agree these are wonderful guitars!

That's a lovely guitar, congratulations, a good Martin has been on my bucket list as well. I learned a long time ago that when it comes to guitars, nothing beats the real McCoy. Whether it be Martin, Gibson, Fender etc, most copies of the major brands seldom stand up to the real thing.

I've owned a few Martins during the last 50+ years -- mostly used. I would typically sell one to raise cash for something else. And of course I regretted the sales every time. The '97 D-41 was the first new one I owned and I vowed to keep it......

Then age started catching up a bit..... I found the D-42 -- brand new 2018 model -- at D-Town Guitars for an unbelievable price. I had recently sold my Gibson ES-335 for a GOOD price. D-Town offered a VERY good trade-in for my D-41. So bottom line, the new D-42 cost me very little (especially compared to MSRP). I had to jump on it before the dealer had time to change his mind....... Had to pinch myself a few times on the way home......!!

Pretty guitar, Dan. Congratulations! Bet she sounds as good as she looks. I’ve never owned a Martin, but have always been impressed with their products and the waay they run the company.

Register Sign in to join the conversation