Other Guitars

NKGD! (New Kay Guitar Day)

Just pulled the trigger on this little slice of 1950's Kay heaven!

I was gonna wait until I sold my '59 Annie before scratching the itch for a big ol' Kelvinator baby like this but this one just happened along on Reverb at the right time and the right price so I thought what the hay! I've been jonesin' for a Kay Upbeat with the killer tone of the twin Kleenex Box pups ever since I played one at Norm's Rare Guitars last year.

This is a thing of beauty. 1950s styling at it's best

killer!!! hard to believe that's original!

congrats & enjoy

cheers

Woo hoo congrats. Wow...that's clean, clean, clean and a beauty. Does that have a big honkin' fat neck like a lot of 50's Kay's ? In the 60's with the addition of an adjustable truss rod I think the necks were slimmed down some.

Where did you find it?

Google Image Search is coming up blank...

killer!!! hard to believe that's original!

congrats & enjoy

cheers

– neatone

Thanks! The seller stated all original but it’s hard to tell until I have it in my hands. I’m mostly keen to hear the pickups.

Woo hoo congrats. Wow...that's clean, clean, clean and a beauty. Does that have a big honkin' fat neck like a lot of 50's Kay's ? In the 60's with the addition of an adjustable truss rod I think the necks were slimmed down some.

– Gretschadelphia

I’m assuming it has a fat neck. The one I played last year did and I really liked the feel if it. It shipped today so it’ll be a few days before I get it. It is super clean...just a stain under the pickguard is about all I could see as far as blemishes.

Where did you find it?

Google Image Search is coming up blank...

– Twangmeisternyc

It showed up on Reverb about a week ago, listed by Spacetone Music in San Antonio TX. I hummed and hawed about it for a few days and decided to throw out an offer of a couple hundred bucks under the asking price. The seller accepted my offer so I’m waiting on it to get to me now.

It's big, it's fat, it's hollow, it's blonde. Can't go wrong!

Wow, that's beautiful! Congratulations! That headstock! It will be a great back up for your 59 Annie.....

That guitar looks Oh-Kay!

Definitely, a "Good for You!" moment...

They pulled the listing from their website, would have been nice to read more about it.

Sometimes Google hangs on to the History, etc...

You are now in the Kay Club

I played this one for an hour yesterday.

Nice! Congratulations. Those are some loud pickups!

Ooolala... beauty. Just how big are we talkin' here?

Thanks guys. Really looking forward to this one arriving. Gotta decide if I’ll Bigsbyfy it like all my other guitars...

Roy, it’s a 17” beauty.

Damn son! That's a find. Good on ya! Vintage sweetness, for sure.

Sweet. I've not seen the black Kelvinator headstock before; matches the black Kleenex pickups. I got to try a single pickup Upbeat (with strange Bigsby, Kigsby?) and really liked it.

Thanks guys. Really looking forward to this one arriving. Gotta decide if I’ll Bigsbyfy it like all my other guitars...

Roy, it’s a 17” beauty.

– Wheelgrinder

without a neck reset, those Kays usually don't have enough neck angle for a Bigsby

without a neck reset, those Kays usually don't have enough neck angle for a Bigsby

– WB

Yeah...I was worried about that Walter. I'd love to gig with this when I get used to it but I use the Bigsby a lot in our shows. I'm not sure I'd be cool with having a neck reset just to add a Bigsby. But I guess I'll wait until I see how much I bond with it.

If it hasn't already had a neck reset, it will need one...no worries.

I found a nice photo expose for the Upbeat, it has the same configuration as my K1700.

Notoriously poor Truss/Neck joint, easy to make right...

Sweet ride, amigo.

Well, that IS a sweet looking thing. Congrats, Greg. Can't wait to hear that in action.

The Kay arrived in Blaine, WA yesterday so a quick hop over the border to pick it up was all it took to bring it to its new Canadian home. (No CITES issues at all). I was so enamoured with this guitar that I brought it to our show last night just a few hours after I got it. I don't normally take a chance on trying to bond with a new guitar during a live show but I played the Kay for a few numbers and although I got a few worried glances from Stuart and Caroline, the rhythm section, as the Kay, tonally, sounds completely different to my trusty Gretsch Streamliner, it played like a dream. One audience member commented on how much he liked it and said "It has a really good rumble!". I liked that comment

This is a BIG guitar!

It won't take the place of my Gretsch for live shows or for recording but it'll be fun to break it out from time to time and let it growl.

Register Sign in to join the conversation