Other Guitars

NJGD - I’ll Bet Even Proteus Doesn’t Have One of These. Yet.

(New-Job Guitar Day) In preparation for re-joining the ranks of the gainfully employed, I opted to reward myself with a guitar, but it had to be something I could afford and something I didn't already have. This one easily qualified on both counts. An Alvarez ABT60CE8SHB 8-string baritone guitar. The 2 middle strings are doubled with octaves, and it gets a pretty big sound.

I did a couple videos to demo it after I picked it up yesterday. I had worked the previous 11 consecutive days in a Voting Center (thankfully, that's not my new job), Tuesday having been a 14-hour day, so I was a little tired (I discovered late in the day I'd been wearing my shirt inside out all day, if that tells you anything). So my voice is a little feeble, but the guitar comes through pretty well. And it's going from the pickup through a Quilter Bass Block 802 and its DI going straight into the board, plus whatever of the amp's output comes through the vocal mic. I'm pretty fond of this here guitar, even if it's got too many strings.

OK, I'll get one.

I had no idear there was such a thing. (Though you must admit it's kind of a cheatin' way to get to 8 strings.) And I note it has my buddy Tom Presley's direct-coupled bridge, which he developed when he was Alvarez project manager at SLM. I think he might have patented it, but I don't know in what name. Could be SLM (and whoever their assets passed to) is getting any proceeds.

But he claims it's a great bridge!

The guitar does sound mighty fine. But I'm sorry you had to get yourself re-employed. Bah.

Sounds pretty damn good Frank. 8 strings,,Looks like youre going to be selling some of those unnecessary Chorus Pedals huh?

Congratulations Frank! I also never knew these existed. You make it sound like it must have felt when the 49ers struck gold. I love your playing! It sounds like the ideal solo show guitar with all that bass and then the middle octave strings ringing out beautifully. I also like your singing.

(New-Job Guitar Day) In preparation for re-joining the ranks of the gainfully employed, I opted to reward myself with a guitar, but it had to be something I could afford and something I didn't already have. This one easily qualified on both counts. An Alvarez ABT60CE8SHB 8-string baritone guitar. The 2 middle strings are doubled with octaves, and it gets a pretty big sound.

I did a couple videos to demo it after I picked it up yesterday. I had worked the previous 11 consecutive days in a Voting Center (thankfully, that's not my new job), Tuesday having been a 14-hour day, so I was a little tired (I discovered late in the day I'd been wearing my shirt inside out all day, if that tells you anything). So my voice is a little feeble, but the guitar comes through pretty well. And it's going from the pickup through a Quilter Bass Block 802 and its DI going straight into the board, plus whatever of the amp's output comes through the vocal mic. I'm pretty fond of this here guitar, even if it's got too many strings.

– giffenf

love that Big City tune, take it on the road Frank!

"But he claims it's a great bridge!"

it is. my Alvarez jumbo 12-string has been tuned to concert pitch since approximately 2008, and it hasn't budged a millimeter. i think having the pin block separated from the parts of the bridge that spread vibrations across the top is a brilliant idea that i suspect is more stable than a standard rectangular bridge because it has multiple rounded edges rather than a single straight edge with the strings pulling perpendicular to that edge, and the strings don't really pull on the greater area of the bridge at all. show me another 12-string that's been tuned to A440 for 12 or 13 years where the bridge isn't trying to come up.

parenthetically, the same guitars that are sold as Alvarez here are badged as Framus in the EU.

that is certainly a cool and unusual thing. it really lends itself to the kind of stuff you were doing on "Big City," playing lead lines on the doubled courses. those octave strings really fill out the upper register.

so how big is the low B(?) string?

Darn! I was just beginning to get comfortable with the down-sizing (actually down to 7 right now).. Now I may have to figure a way to get this in the front door.

I'm not the biggest fan of 12 strings or baritones,but damn if that don't sound good ! Best of both worlds.

I'm not the biggest fan of 12 strings or baritones,but damn if that don't sound good ! Best of both worlds.

with sufficiently advanced technique you could sound like most of a mariachi band. and i mean that in the best way possible.

Mighty fine pickin' and a-sangin', Frank! I've always had a fondness for Alvarez . . . even this guitar, whose existence begs the question of, "huh?" Play'er in good health!

Very nice guitar, Frank, you play and sing great too! I really like the colors, that burst is beautiful!

Nice song and great pickin'. I 've always wanted an Alvarez acoustic. Congrats! That one is special.

the more i look at it the more interesting it is. i looked it up, and i gather that it has a slightly-larger-than-jumbo lower bout with an upper bout that's more like an upscaled auditorium-sized guitar. there's no way i'd use one enough to justify owning it, but it sure would be fun to mess around with for a few weeks. i would really like to hear it in a nice reflective room where the low end could spread out and see what effect the body configuration has on the tonal balance.

I never heard of this model but thought it sounds great. Congrats

Congrats again Frank!

Perfect guitar for your voice Frank. Or is it that it's the perfect voice for the guitar. Either way works! Congrats on a very unusual and useful addition to the herd...

Baritone acoustics are VERY cool. I played a Taylor 8-string Baritone a few years ago, and LOVED its sound. I would have bought it, but the price was too much for my budget (about $2700). When I mentioned that to the salesman, who gave me the Taylor to try out, he told me to search for an Alvarez 8-string Baritone, since they cost quite a bit less. Unfortunately, nowadays, I prefer thicker necks than Alvarez' come with (I got rid of my last Alvarez last year, because of its relatively thin neck). Still, they are great guitars.

Taylor 8-String Baritone

so it's not just an Alvarez one-off model? these are actually an established thing? well, live and learn.

Nice find, Frank -- Alvarez Yairi makes fine instruments, and that one is sounding good and lookin' good, too! Used to have a WY1K, myself, and I'm convinced the Direct Coupled bridge design was a big contributor to how brightly that guitar rang out. Oh, and congrats on the new day gig!

i meant that it's not just their idea if Taylor has one too.

love that Big City tune, take it on the road Frank! -- TheNocturneBrain

Maybe so, TV, that Merle guy did pretty well with it.

I'd never played the Taylor version, partly because its price was way out of my league, and partly because I was concerned that if I spent too much time in the Taylor booth at NAMM I'd be assimilated into the cult. But the upside of Taylor's making one of these is that they cajoled Elixir into making a string set for it, which will work just fine (I expect) on the Alvarez. I ordered 2 sets from Sweetwater, and as perhaps some kind of good omen, they came with TWO packs of candy. D'Addario makes their EXP23 set for the Alvarez, but I haven't found anyone who has it in stock.

The guitar streets for $549.99, and I had my Double Jet on consignment at TrueTone for a while, and had kind of forgotten about it by the time it sold, so when I looked at this guitar there and said "just apply the proceeds from the Jet to this," even with a case, not much additional cash needed to be added to make it work.

Register Sign in to join the conversation