Other Guitars

NJBD, Jazz Box day. I need a lie down.

That is so beautiful!. I can’t even imagine playing it...

What a beautiful guitar, Tony! Congrats! Y'know, if you couple that guitar with your multiple trips to Paris to get it, you've got the beginnings of an interesting song idea. Hmmm ...

Wow, what a beauty! Imagine all the lovely music that's already in her.

I'm really happy for you, Tony. Little fun fact: When I had the chance to meet you a few years ago I came across one of those Oxfam stores in London town on my way, spotted a book in the window, stepped in and bought it: "The Gibson L5 - Its history and its players". So this NGD had to happen. Play it in excellent health, T.

Truly a work of art. Congratulations!

That’s spectacular, many congratulations!

Wow! That’s a beauty indeed! Congratulations Tony!

Wow, what a beauty! Imagine all the lovely music that's already in her.

I'm really happy for you, Tony. Little fun fact: When I had the chance to meet you a few years ago I came across one of those Oxfam stores in London town on my way, spotted a book in the window, stepped in and bought it: "The Gibson L5 - Its history and its players". So this NGD had to happen. Play it in excellent health, T.

– sascha

Hah, I have that book of course.

A dilemma I have is that this guitar came with only one strap button, at the thick end. I'm reluctant to drill a hole in the heel, so I have to have a shoelace around the headstock, which looks a bit naff.

What a beautiful guitar, Tony! Congrats! Y'know, if you couple that guitar with your multiple trips to Paris to get it, you've got the beginnings of an interesting song idea. Hmmm ...

– wgnhim

"From Paris to Cricklewood with love". Hmmm indeed.

A dilemma I have is that this guitar came with only one strap button, at the thick end. I'm reluctant to drill a hole in the heel, so I have to have a shoelace around the headstock, which looks a bit naff.

– tonyb

The shoelace around the headstock thing doesn't ever really work for me. I carefully drill holes in the same place that they'd be on a new guitar --- but then, none of my guitars are as old or expensive as yours, either. Still, playability comes first for me.

– tonyb

Or play it sitting on a stool.

The Izzy Stradlin solution.

Or, the Patent Don Gibson underwrap-

What a fantastic guitar Tony with genuine jazz and rock n roll credentials, just wonderful.

Enjoy!

Hi ade: thanks for the Don Gibson post -- he's always been a big favourite of mine. And I really liked the lead player -- tasty solo and a great tone.

Here ya go. You can hear the top E falling off the edge, sometimes it gets stuck under the fret end.

Hi ade: thanks for the Don Gibson post -- he's always been a big favourite of mine. And I really liked the lead player -- tasty solo and a great tone.

– Dave_K

So true, Dave. Gene Slone is a lovely player. Makes that big Gibson sound like a steel- all hammers, no bends. Just terrific.

Wow, congrats, that’s a stunner. I was about to do a Double NGD post, but compared to yours, they just don’t measure up.

If I took that guitar to jazz band rehearsal, they’d start expecting me to be able to play actual jazz on it. Enjoy.

Ah Tony, a guitar always looks best when being played. Big, clear, full sound. With the big body and plummy tone those jazz inversions fall so pleasantly to hand. Wonderful.

The Izzy Stradlin solution.

– Mr Tubs

I've tried that Tubs but with a black cord, a bit more discreet. Seems to work well, cheers.

Congratulations! That's one beautiful guitar. From your video it sounds like the Staple P90s are the perfect pickups to compliment the big body.

I'm glad it all worked out in the end.

Congrats on a fab guitar, I love the tone.

And who could complain about going to Paris twice?

I think that's one of the coolest... no, scratch that.... THE coolest L5 I've ever seen.

Guitars like that don't come along often (unless you're willing to pay "collector's prices".

Register Sign in to join the conversation