Other Guitars

Nitro vs Poly Partscaster build?

Hi guys. I'm looking to build a partscaster with an ej bound maple neck. I'm trying to decide if I should go with the EJ body or just get a American Special body and save some money? Any thoughts? Is NITRO relly worth the extra 300 bucks or so?

In my opinion, is worth it, but ultimately the decision is up to your own priorities. It's also my opinion that the finish on the neck is more important than the body. I have two partscasters with nitro necks and poly bodies. I really like the feel of lacquer on the neck, especially after a couple years.

In my opinion, is worth it, but ultimately the decision is up to your own priorities. It's also my opinion that the finish on the neck is more important than the body. I have two partscasters with nitro necks and poly bodies. I really like the feel of lacquer on the neck, especially after a couple years.

– Otter

Thanks man. What scares me is my Classic 70's strat finish cracked a bit and I saw how thick the poly was, and I said to myself that maybe I need to consider nitro next time, because there's no way poly that thick is helping the guitar vibrate

– Otter

Same here. On my Tele build, I went with a nitro neck/thin poly body.

I prefer the nitro feel on a neck

Then there's the third choice; acrylic enamel. What went on the old Ford Pickup also went on the old Fender too. Easy to find colors in DuPont too. No problem shooting Acry. Lac. over Acry. En. if you just gotta. Little more than a sealant on the neck anyway, unless you just GOTTA have a gloss finish.

Cool agenda, an EJ strat!

EJ? Early Japanese?

Thanks, Crow.. was wondering the same thing..

How about getting an unfinished body and shooting it yourself with some Reranch nitro lacquer in spray cans? Need clear nitro? Try Behlens/ Mohawk Stringed Instrument lacquer in a spray bomb from Woodcraft or Stewmac. Of course there's all the proper prep, finishing, etc.. I know, believe me, I know.. I've painted cars, motorcycles and guitars for a long time.
Can be fun and rewarding if you take some time to do right. Lots of videos and info out there.

Eric Johnson?

Ahh, that makes sense... that model has a bound neck.

Last partscaster I made was a Thinline Tele. Shot the body with nitro and oiled the neck. Super silky, never gets sticky. Even when your hand gets sweaty.

Definitely count me in for favoring the nitro neck. The body? I really don't think it matters tonally on a solid slab body(I feel different about a maple cap over mahogany like an LP) but I get the feeling that the extra $ for a nitro body will also buy you satisfaction and in the end, peace of mind.

EJ bodies should be lighter, it's not just about the finish. I like nitro because it feels nicer to touch.
)

Eric Johnson?

– sascha

Yeah I meant Eric Johnson Strat neck and/or body or both

EJ? Early Japanese?

Thanks, Crow.. was wondering the same thing..

How about getting an unfinished body and shooting it yourself with some Reranch nitro lacquer in spray cans? Need clear nitro? Try Behlens/ Mohawk Stringed Instrument lacquer in a spray bomb from Woodcraft or Stewmac. Of course there's all the proper prep, finishing, etc.. I know, believe me, I know.. I've painted cars, motorcycles and guitars for a long time.
Can be fun and rewarding if you take some time to do right. Lots of videos and info out there.

– Metman

I just might try that. Thanks!

If you want a hardtail, I've got a nice flame maple strat body with a tru oil finish I'll sell ya.

If you want a hardtail, I've got a nice flame maple strat body with a tru oil finish I'll sell ya.

– Otter

I've got my heart set on black w bound rosewood neck :)

Register Sign in to join the conversation