Other Guitars

NITRO finish 23 degree difference…Go ahead and open or no?

There's about a 23 degree difference in temperature here in CT 66 degrees inside and 43 outside. I have no problem waiting 24 hours, although it will be hard. However, the guitar will be exposed to some temperature swings anyway through its life. This is where I'm confused. Any advice?

I say open it

It shouldn't be a problem but if you're concerned open it in the garage or outside.

I'm afraid too lol. Internal conflict going on

It shouldn't be a problem but if you're concerned open it in the garage or outside.

– Curt Wilson

Will that be safer to open it in the garage then bring it inside?

How are you going to show us pics if you don't open it?!

Open it in the garage and check it out then put it back in the case and bring it in the house for an hour or two with the lid open a bit.

Everythings good! I'll upload pics this is my first "real" strat so I'm stoked!

It's got a nice grain in the neck. I'm gonna Gilmour it out I'm waiting on a custom black 1ply pickgaurd to come :)

It's a 2013 Eric Johnson Stratocaster huge upgrade from the Classic 70's I have that I'll probably never play again

Congrats Jay,nice looking geet!

Cool strat! What makes the Eric Johnson model unique? Why did you choose it?

I will never understand this predicament. What exactly do people think is going to happen if you open a case before the guitar is "acclimated?" Is it going to explode? Is it going to dissolve into a powdery goo? It's seasoned wood; it will be ok.

Back in the day my Cream White Les Paul would "finish check" right before your eyes. After a while it was kind of pretty.

Has a lot to do with how thick and many the coats are, and how different the Coefficients of Expansion are between the wood and the coating. Not uncommon for there to be a 10:1 ratio, with the wood trying break out of its "shell" if temperature is raised too quickly.

The coating and the wood need to both stay within the elastic range of the coating while warming, if not, the coating yields and cracks. Time is your friend. Gradual rise is lower stress.

I think the idea is that the finish will crack, because the finish and the wood expand and contract at different rates during temperature changes. I've never seen it happen, but then, I've never tested it either.

I find it hard to believe that a 20 degree temperature change is going to do anything. Back in the day, bands rode around in buses with their gear in the luggage hold or on top. You'd think the stories would be legion about guys opening their cases to find their instruments ruined, especially in the days when hollowbodies prevailed.

I agree 23F is not so much...

And when it is a much greater difference (like Wisconsin), just an hour at the new "room" temperature in its case is generally more than enough...

We'd haul our gear, back in the day, in sub freezing weather, do the gig, the drag it home, all in the back of pickups and station wagons. No one worried about it. Only real thought was to let the amps' tubes cool down before bouncing them around.

We'd haul our gear, back in the day, in sub freezing weather, do the gig, the drag it home, all in the back of pickups and station wagons. No one worried about it. Only real thought was to let the amps' tubes cool down before bouncing them around.

– wabash slim

Exactly.

Register Sign in to join the conversation