Other Guitars

NGD

On June 1st I retired after 32 years of teaching high school math (still coaching XC and Track, though). I had saved up for a guitar, planning on the GDP Pearl Jet as a retirement reward. As that has not come to fruition, I was down at the nearby Guitar Center to peruse the selections and visit a former student and runner who works there teaching guitar and doing sales. I ended up bringing home a MIM Fender "Alternate Reality" Electric XII. It had minor cosmetic damage in shipping, so I got a great price on it, and don't have to worry about that first bang or scratch. Details: Alder Body with Roasted Maple Neck (c-shape) 9.5" radius, and Pau Ferro Fingerboard. 25.5" scale. Fender Electric XII split coil pickups. Hardtail bridge with string-thru body.

Plays like a charm and doesn't weigh 300 lbs. like my Epiphone G1275 double-neck, which I guess I can sell now. Plays and sounds awesome.

Steeple923, congrats on both retiring and your new Fender 12. Love 12 string electrics. I have a Japanese semi hollow 12 electric from the 60s or 70s. Your Fender 12 looks great. Fender 12s sound so great. Here's a pirate with a copy of one that sounds amazing -

Of course you already know how it sounds since you own it but what the heck here is another demo of one for thr fun of it -

VERY cool! I especially like the split coil humbuckers on the Fender XIIs.

Nice! Congrats on the guitar and on your retirement!

When I went looking for a 12-string last year, it came down to one of those and a Danelectro 59X12. I opted for the Dano, but it was close. Price was part of it, but since you're getting it as a present to yourself, you're justified in splurging a little.

Enjoy x12!

Congrats! She's a beauty - enjoy!

Congratulations on both your retirement and your new guitar, Steeple. I'm fond of 12 string guitars too, though I don't currently have one. I'm happy for you, and wish you all the best. Enjoy your retirement and that spiffy new Fender!

Very cool guitar, and happy retirement!

But wow on the lineup of cases! Lining them upright against the wall will look familiar to most of us in the Too Many Guitars Club - but in a run of eight cases to show an aluminum valance, a tweed, a checkerboard and a red (RED!) case...now that's gettin'er done.

I gotta know what's in them - especially the checkerboard and the red tolex. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a red guitar case.

Very nice. Congrats on retirement and a fine piece of gear.

Nice. Congrats. It should be a rule that retirement requires a new guitar.

Congrats (on the retirement), and congrats on the guitar. I think the original Electric XII is still the greatest electric 12-string ever made, and I was disappointed they had them under glass at the NAMM Show so I couldn't try out one of these, and I haven't seen one in the wild anywhere. I've already got two electric 12-strings (one's waiting some restoration and it will be revealed when that's done), but this one would be welcome at my house anytime. Enjoy.

Congrats!

I do love an electric 12 myself.

Very cool guitar, and happy retirement!

But wow on the lineup of cases! Lining them upright against the wall will look familiar to most of us in the Too Many Guitars Club - but in a run of eight cases to show an aluminum valance, a tweed, a checkerboard and a red (RED!) case...now that's gettin'er done.

I gotta know what's in them - especially the checkerboard and the red tolex. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a red guitar case.

– Proteus

Thanks to you and everyone else for the retirement congratulations. I actually had my papers into the district office way before all this Covid stuff began.

I have my share of cheap cases from Musician's Friend, but the exotic looking cases I get from Guitarfetish.com.

The red case contains a Candy Apple Red Epi Riviera P-93. The tweed case has a kit built LP Jr. with a Kent Armstrong P-90 The faux ostrich case has a Gibson SG with P-90's. (I guess I consider P-90's special ) The checkerboard case has my '66 Hagstrom 1 (just like the one Mark Mothersbaugh plays on Devo's SNL debut, sans duct taped stomp boxes) The case with the long aluminum valence is a factory Ric case for my Ruby Red 360.

I have an aversion to gig bags, so it's fun to have different cases. The next one might have to be covered in houndstooth or paisley.

Steeple923, congrats on both retiring and your new Fender 12. Love 12 string electrics. I have a Japanese semi hollow 12 electric from the 60s or 70s. Your Fender 12 looks great. Fender 12s sound so great. Here's a pirate with a copy of one that sounds amazing -

– ThePolecats

I didn't know Nandor from What We Do In The Shadows played guitar. He did put a little "Pleasant Valley Sunday " in there. I'll have to try that out.

Register Sign in to join the conversation