Other Guitars

NGD! Surprising quality from cheapo guitar

Picked an Austin Tele copy for $150. Solid build, looks pretty good, plays and sounds great.

The store owner did a great set up and dressed the frets. The bridge pup sounds like what I thought a Tele should sound like but the neck pup has a warm, deep bass sound that really surprised me. These are hit or miss guitars. I have heard that most play and sound like a cheap guitar. I got real lucky and got a good one. Even with a sprained wrist I'm able to coax a few tunes out of her. It should have been a turd but it's really a gem.

Excellent, John.
A Tele can be magic. I was playing my partscaster tonight and it still amazes me how much it likes me.

This is my first. It's only the second Tele that I ever played. I got to play CBells NoCaster so my expectations were high to start with.

One down side, the tuners are crap. I'll swap them out soon.

Very nice. Every Gretsch player needs a Tele, or 5. As like with dogs, a good mutt guitar can be just as wonderful as a purebred.

Very nice. Every Gretsch player needs a Tele, or 5. As like with dogs, a good mutt guitar can be just as wonderful as a purebred.

– hilosean

Hmmm... I really like that "5 Tele" rule! I only have four, so I guess I'm in the market!

One down side, the tuners are crap. I'll swap them out soon.

– UncleGrumpy

On the upside you’ll be able to call it a Partscaster.

Hmmm... I really like that "5 Tele" rule! I only have four, so I guess I'm in the market!

– kc_eddie_b

Me too on the 5 Tele rule.

On the plus side I got two sons that play, so collectively we have a 15 Tele rule!

Well, I sent one away...apparently I need two. That's about right. I can think of two variations. Is there a deadline for compliance?

By the end of summer I hope to have two. Otter gave me a Tele body and Powdog gave me a neck. I'm gonna save my nickles and dimes for a Bigsby, B-5 I think. I'll be on the prowl soon for the rest of the parts.

After that I think I need a thin line. After that I only need maybe two more guitars to fulfill all my guitar needs. Wait, I really need a 5420. I'll die if I don't have one of those.

Crap, I need a White Falcon.

Streamliner, yeah. I need one of those. An SG is vital.

...and a Strat. And an L-5. And a Melody Maker. And a Ibby George Benson. And a pedal steel. And a Guild acoustic. And a....

Had a few Strats and never bonded with them. Proteus is selling one now that I think I could bond with if I had the scratch. A guild would be nice.

i've been saying for awhile now that this is the Golden Age of Cheap Guitars.

congrats..everyone should have a tele or two..think james burton and clarence

just for info, for around the same price, a fender squier tele can be had...and fender currently has the asian cnc guitar manufacture down to a science...150$ guitars with perfect fretwork and straight comfy necks...amazing what can be done for low $$$ guitarwise these days...for now anyway

cheers

Just purchased this to put on my Tele. A big part of my childhood.

Ha! I remember getting the Ranger Rick magazine as a kid. Always looked forward to its arrival. Good call on that sticker.

Good times John, cheap is good. I just bought a dirty $90 Ibanez V70 acoustic myself, good sound and a good player.

Sometimes nice things come in a package of cracker jack.

My Tele is a squier but she's pretty nice. I have no regerts.

I’m going to start referring to my partscaster as a ‘custom build’. It deserves that distinction.

There is a real joy in finding an inexpensive guitar that plays, sounds and looks great. Many of my guitars cost less than $300, but do everything I want them to do, and I'm very grateful to have them. They've each brought out different aspects of my playing and writing, and their modest cost has allowed me to indulge my fascination with guitars and learn a lot in a way that pricier, fancier guitars would not have permitted.

Even found a beat up case in my basement that fits it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation