Other Guitars

NGD - Rickenbacker 330

Look what followed me home from the guitar store today. My first Ricky! She's a 2014 330 in beautiful Ruby Red. I think I'll call her... Ruby! (And I got it on a Tuesday! Ruby Tuesday!)

Plugged it in when I got home, and can't stop playing it. That chimey-dirty sound. Love it.

Congrats! Yessir, just like Gretsches, Ricky’s are their own distinctive thing. Gotta love it.

I love the sound and the look, but I could never play 'em. My hands are too big.

Classic instrument - great color choice

She's a beaut! Play 'er in good health, Jim!

Nice! Larged handed guitar player checking in. Your hands can't be too big for one of these that makes no sense.

I have a 1993 330. Original owner. It's one of my oldest guitars. I stuck a bigsby on it.

Congrats....that's a beauty. I used to have a 620/6 in Ruby. I get why the 12 strings with the 1 5/8" nut with can be problematic, but with a 6 string Rick it's basically like a Fender w/ a 24.75" scale.

The first guitar I ever bought new was a 1992 Jet Glow 330. Love it and still have it. Been looking for the right Ruby Red 360 - I think that's the most gorgeous guitar color ever.

Congrats Jim,that's a beauty sir!

I wish i hadn't sold my Jetglo 330 ,stupid boy.

The very first Rickenbacker i ever saw in person was a Ruby 360/12 ,back in the early 80's,in a sea of Fenders and Gibson's , this was a gorgeous lookin' thing!

That's sweet! Congrats!

Ruby like on this 330 was always my fave Rick finish... the standard ones black/natural glo, etc... not so much, but autmunglo is good.

I gotta have 1 3/4 for 6 string which is why 650s rule w/ kool maple board.

My 650/12 conversion is ruby and got a sparkle bad boy on the way to show off soon.

Good color choice as that was a limited run in 2015 / 2016 discontinued due to color consistency problems.

Love your 650 12 conversions. Should be a production model.

Thanks all. I wasn't sure if I'd like the ruby red - saw the store's pics online, and I was a little iffy. I love jetglo - always thought I'd like one of those. But when I saw it in the store, I just fell in love with the colour. It's ever-so-slightly metallic. Very subtle. Just something a little different, but so cool and beautiful. I could just sit here and look at it.

I like “different “. Looks great. Congrats

Beautiful - congrats!

Hubert Sumlin made me realize you can play anything on Rick.

Nice! Larged handed guitar player checking in. Your hands can't be too big for one of these that makes no sense.

I have a 1993 330. Original owner. It's one of my oldest guitars. I stuck a bigsby on it.

– captainvideo

Bingo - I’m with you Cap’n! And besides, usually Ric neck width complaints are associated with the 12 strings, with the exception of the Petty model 660/12 with the wider neck.

Btw though, if you can’t play a Ric, 6 or 12 due to neck width, you except yourself from being a mandolin, banjo, uke or tenor player IMHO because all have a smaller nut width than a Ric 300 series or 620. If McGuinn can chord on a Ric with fewer fingers to compensate for less space, so can anyone else. Anyone who believes that Rics are unplayable due to large hands is depriving themselves of the joy of a wonderful Ric such as the OP’s, and is cheating themselves.

Register Sign in to join the conversation