Other Guitars

NGD Return of “the one that got away…”

I saw this guitar on Reverb this last summer. At the time I had been lusting for a thinline hollowbody and thought this Sorrento was the prettiest one I'd ever seen, plus had Duncan Custom Shop Staple pups in it. I made an offer, the seller accepted, and I paid him. Allegedly he was having issues getting "verified" with PayPal, so without saying anything to me, he sold it (again) to Chicago Music Exchange without telling me. I got my money back, but boy was I pissed off! I complained to Reverb (they were pleasant but did nothing) and also complained to CME but they told me there was no record of the sale or this guitar in their inventory. CME is physically across the street from Reverb.com offices and both companies are owned by the same guy. Smelled fishy, but whatever.

Several months go by and it pops back up on Reverb for sale by CME -apparently they had it after all. I offered them $100 bucks less than I had paid the previous seller and they accepted.

The guitar plays very well, and the SD Staple pups sound great; sort of in between a P-90 and a Dynasonic. The guitar has a woodiness which the pups compliment nicely.

I feel much better now

There IS a Santa Claus!

Those Peerless-made Sorrentos are great guitars even stock. I got mine used with a Bigsby B-3, which isn't the ideal, but as long as I use at least .011 strings on it, it works fine and sounds great.

Agreed! Mine's also Peerless, also with the B-3. Not the best; the break angle over the bridge is too shallow. If I really wank on the strings (like tuning up a new set) they will jump out of the saddle, but in normal playing they're fine.

Along with the B-3 the PO also put on locking tuners that look just like the originals from the front side.

My only complaint is that I wish the neck had a bit more girth to it.

Congrats,that is pretty!

Congratulations and nice description of the sound. Have fun!

Rhythmisking, congrats. I love Staple P90s. I am under the impression that you paid little for the guitar. Staple pickups cost $225 each new so even if the guitar was as high as $450 it covers the cost of buying those if you wanted.

I noticed that for me that Staple pickups sound best on a guitar with flatwounds.

Sweet. You don't see Sorrento's with that kind of flame in top and the SD Staples.....whooo whooo.

Rhythmisking, If you want to avoid having the strings jumping out of the saddles, just file the saddle slot deeper and then raise the bridge.

This way you'll have the same action but the strings will stay in their saddle.

I had the same problem with my '63 Tennessean and now I can bend the strings as much as I want.

Wow, the pickups are more expensive than the guitar! Nice!

Rhythmisking, congrats. I love Staple P90s. I am under the impression that you paid little for the guitar. Staple pickups cost $225 each new so even if the guitar was as high as $450 it covers the cost of buying those if you wanted.

I noticed that for me that Staple pickups sound best on a guitar with flatwounds.

– ThePolecats

Paid $500

Interesting idea about flatwounds...I'm guessing that would give it more of a jazzbox tone. Might be interesting to try.

I like the sound of the Staples, although I'm finding them to be better for melody and 'chunky' rhythm than for complex chords. The don't have the same articulation string to string as T-Armonds, although this is the only guitar I have with Staples, and a Dearmond M75 is the only guitar I have with T-Armonds, so solid vs. thin hollowbody -can't get much more apples and oranges than that.

Rhythmisking, If you want to avoid having the strings jumping out of the saddles, just file the saddle slot deeper and then raise the bridge.

This way you'll have the same action but the strings will stay in their saddle.

I had the same problem with my '63 Tennessean and now I can bend the strings as much as I want.

– guitarmike

I had that thought. I'll probably do just that.

Good to see a happy ending, congrats!

Good to see a happy ending, congrats!

– Jeff H

Most of us love a happy ending!

Happy Holidays!

Register Sign in to join the conversation