Other Guitars

NGD - Oh No….a PRS? ! ?? !! ??? !!!

Yes, you read that correctly....I bought a PRS. I was not really "looking" to get another guitar, but then a store that I am friends with on Facebook posted about this new limited run of PRS guitars made using Reclaimed Woods.

I made the mistake of going and taking a look-see.

I looked, saw...and WANTED.

The store had a CE24 model, which I liked. Bolt-on maple neck, split coil humbuckers, locking tuners, 24 fret neck....all the usual stuff.

I went home and started poking around the web and saw that there was also a Vela model with the single coil in the neck and a split coil in the bridge...set-neck with 22 frets....matching headstock. It seemed to be more of a guitar that was suited to my playing style than the CE24. (I should note that I already have a Custom 22 that I bought about 20+ years ago.)

Then, I started looking to get one, and found that the Vela's were pretty much gone. All pre-ordered or sold. I called one of the guys I purchase from regularly, and he said..."no problem, I can get you one"....after I said yes, a couple days later he calls and says "sorry, they are all gone". So, I hit the internet again and found one in Virginia. I called, and sure enough, it was actually there. They discussed it with me, described the top "looks" (I had seen some of the two piece tops that were slightly mismatched in color, and wanted to avoid that). All seemed well, so I said "Let's do it!"

So a mere few days later, a box arrives at our local UPS center, and I elected to pick it up "in person". Brought it home, un-packed it and could not be more pleased!

So, I present to you my new PRS Vela...

Congrats,it's been years since i played a PRS...or even seen one here,the only dealer went belly up back in 06.

My local guitar store (Peach) has loads of PRS enough in fact to receive a visit from Paul himself a week or so back.

Normally I'm rather nonplussed by the style points of PRS but that one speaks to me. Congrats!

That's a really beautiful design. Bet it sounds good too, with that pickup combo.

I thought I'd like a PRS Vela but I sent back the one I bought awhile ago. I do like that one with the f-hole though. Congrats. It's a looker.

My question though - why not just buy TVJ or Gretsch Dynas, instead of make your own copy? (Other than saving a buck, that is.) Plus if you add a TVJ in humbucker mount you've got the bridge pup too.

I thought I'd like a PRS Vela but I sent back the one I bought awhile ago. I do like that one with the f-hole though. Congrats. It's a looker.

My question though - why not just buy TVJ or Gretsch Dynas, instead of make your own copy? (Other than saving a buck, that is.) Plus if you add a TVJ in humbucker mount you've got the bridge pup too.

– drmilktruck

I had seen your posts "RE: Got one, and Sent it Back" while I was researching the Vela model. Like you, I had to buy sight unseen, since no one around here had one to try.

I think the guitar is a bit darker than I expected...but, nothing that turning up the treble on my amp a bit didn't solve. But, I have not A/B'd it against my other guitars or tried it in any of my amps other than my Genz Benz Black Pearl 112. I have not had any Dyna's previously, so I have little basis for comparison in that regard. I think that the two pickups, in single coil mode, are pretty balanced volume wise. When the bridge is in humbucker mode, the tone thickens up and rounds out a bit more. For the first 10 minutes or so, the neck felt a bit sticky...but quickly that feeling went away, and I have to say it plays extremely well and I haven't even tried to tweak the truss rod or bridge height. And, the intonation is good with the brass saddle bridge.

Is it my "best" guitar? Well, not likely...I am fortunate to have some stiff competition for that honor in my possession. One is even an older PRS Custom 22. If pressed, I doubt I could tell you which one of my guitars is "best"...and if I did, the answer would likely change the next day. The last guitar that will ever leave my hands is my American Deluxe Strat that my wife bought for me several years ago...and, even that one is not my "best". Could the PRS Vela Reclaimed "be" someone's "best" guitar??? I don't see why not....

What this guitar offers me is the fact that it is different from the others I own. It gives me a whole new feel and sound to have fun with...my paperwork says it weighs 6#, and that is certainly nice....it is one of a run of about 600 instruments, so that is nice....the wood used in making the top make it a unique "looker"....it's not your everyday PRS.....it is also one of the least expensive PRS guitars available.

Thanks to everyone who commented and shared in my NGD..... ....I won't be sending mine back.

Oh...and I understand and "get" your question....but if they did that, wouldn't it just be a Gretsch or TVJ guitar with what some would call a "bad" headstock??? ...wink...

As a Cabronita fan, I am knocked out! I always enjoy seeing PRS special offerings.

PRS are some dang good guitars. I've owned one, and I gave it to my nephew.

I do like the "melt" look of that once pictured.

Very cool!

...------

Register Sign in to join the conversation