Other Guitars

NGD — Offset Heaven

My Jazzmaster and Jag both have the stock bridge.Using .010s,the Jazzmaster was unplayable until I put on a Buzz-Stop, the Jaguar doesn't need it. I spent some time in the Sixties with a Jazzmaster strung with Gibson flatwounds.No problems.

Beautiful guitars, congrats!

You can't just put a 25.5" neck on the Jag, the bridge is at the wrong place.

Crowbone, I had a discussion yesterday with another GDPer who is knowledgeable about such things as the Mastery bridge and he suggested to me that they increase sustain and add harmonic overtones. That being said, I am not so sure that, on a guitar used for surf music, in particular, sustain is such a desirable ingredient. A fairly quick decay is something that I have always associated with a surf guitar.

Is anyone else here knowledgeable about Mastery bridges and their sonic properties?

Crowbone, I had a discussion yesterday with another GDPer who is knowledgeable about such things as the Mastery bridge and he suggested to me that they increase sustain and add harmonic overtones. That being said, I am not so sure that, on a guitar used for surf music, in particular, sustain is such a desirable ingredient. A fairly quick decay is something that I have always associated with a surf guitar.

Is anyone else here knowledgeable about Mastery bridges and their sonic properties?

– Ric12string

The Mastery to Fender Jag's and JM's is like a Tru Arc to Gretsch. The sustain has everything to do with string tension and pressure. If you leave your guitar stock you won't notice much difference. The real advantage is improving intonation and keeping the strings from jumping the grooves.

AND if you use flats you're not going to have any sustain to worry about...

I think that heavier gauge strings also mitigate against strings jumping from the grooves. I may need to quickly knock on wood here, but I have not experienced that problem yet.

Congratulations on your offset acquisitions Ric12string!

I had bought a nice Fender Jaguar from Snorre here on GDP and really loved the feel of the body and neck and thought the pick-ups sounded great. What I never could get used to nor understand was the amount of dials and buttons. I also had problem with my high E string getting knocked off the bridge saddle often.

Thanks, Brian. They are very interesting guitars.

For me, part of their quirkish charm is all of the switches and dials. Kind of like a high school science project, in some respects.

As for the string coming off the saddle, what gauge strings were you using? Because I am experimenting with string gauges on mine at the moment, I am currently using .010s. (I will probably end up using .011s.) Even with those fairly light strings, I am not having an issue. Then again, it all depends upon your playing style and how hard you attack the strings with your pick. I wouldn't say that my touch is "light", but it certainly is not a heavy attack. Maybe that has something to do with why this has not yet been an issue for me. I would think that if you are using at least .011 gauge strings, this wouldn't be a problem for you.

Ha, talk to me after you play it out and loosen up a bit! Until that happens it's all subjective talk.

Ha, talk to me after you play it out and loosen up a bit! Until that happens it's all subjective talk.

– Curt Wilson

You did note, I hope, that I used the word "yet" in stating that it hadn't happened to me.

And I believe that you may have it reversed. I would say that, until it does happen to me, any talk of the strings jumping off the saddles is all subjective. What is objective is that it hasn't "yet" happened.

The subjective part is the long winded discussion about why you're not changing while the Mastery was born as a result of strings jumping out of the saddles on Jazzmasters. It's like a leaking condom, one time is too many.

I have one on my real '65, the bridge is a work of art.

– Curt Wilson

That is a good looker, Curt. Do you get a chance to play it very often?

Thanks, yes I play it all the time but prefer the Jaguar scale length. Something that never bothered me when I was younger is tendentious so the shorter scale helps.

Is this the guitar we chatted about ages ago that needed to be a custom kinda color?

Good for you!

Long time to become just right on the headstock...+++

I like that effort even without a Mastery bridge at the moment...

Is this the guitar we chatted about ages ago that needed to be a custom kinda color? ... Long time to become just right on the headstock...+++ -- Twangmeisternyc

Indeed. This guitar is the result of my efforts to find a custom color for the AV '65 Jaguar model. I searched high and low and was unable to find anything in a custom color, save and except this very guitar which is sonic blue. I tried Wildwood in Louisville, CO, but they didn't have them and weren't going to have any more FSR Jaguars built. After more searching at numerous other online outlets, I finally found this one in a store back in Virginia (Action Music). Great people to work with.

Once I got it, then I tried to simply send Curt the neck to let him paint the headstock, but I dithered about trying to find a place that had the equipment to accurately read the color so that I could give the code to Curt. When I finally found a store that could do it for me, the reading that their equipment gave me was kind of a beige color. Obviously, the wrong color for this guitar. So, rather than paint the headstock the wrong color, Curt recommended sending him the entire guitar. That led to further dithering before it got sent off to Curt late last autumn. Curt did a timely job in painting it and I am quite pleased with the result.

While the sonic blue probably wouldn't have been my first choice, I really didn't have any meaningful choice other than this very guitar. Now that I have it, and with the matching headstock, I am quite pleased with the color.

I love the color, I'd prefer that to the white Johnny Marr Jag I have.

I found the Mustang bridge worked well on my Jag with flatwound 10s--never had them slip, but I'm not doing windmill power chords.

I have one on my real '65, the bridge is a work of art.

– Curt Wilson

A Mastery bridge made my Squier Mustang sustain like a TruArc...and it looks fab!

A Mastery bridge made my Squier Mustang sustain like a TruArc...and it looks fab!

– Bob Howard

I am not so sure that sustain is what I want. I realize that the flats will temper any sustain, but one of the charms of these guitars is that their notes decay pretty quickly. It is different than perhaps what people want to play power rock. What I have right now, assuming that the strings don't start jumping off the saddles, suits my ears quite nicely. Now, I understand that that could change as I become more familiar with the tones and perhaps become more discerning and I could very well say that I want to swap bridges when that does occur.

Those Mastery bridges certainly aren't cheap either.

Wow, Bob, that is a beauty!!! I love the matching headstock! Oddly, I have never played a Jaguar. Looks like I am going to have to seek one out. My only offset guitar is a Don Grosch ElectraJet Custom, which looks an awful lot like Curt's Jazzmaster with a different bridge.

Anyway, congrats! Looks like Faded Sonic Blue in the pic. One of my favorite Fender colors!

I am not so sure that sustain is what I want. I realize that the flats will temper any sustain, but one of the charms of these guitars is that their notes decay pretty quickly. It is different than perhaps what people want to play power rock. What I have right now, assuming that the strings don't start jumping off the saddles, suits my ears quite nicely. Now, I understand that that could change as I become more familiar with the tones and perhaps become more discerning and I could very well say that I want to swap bridges when that does occur.

Those Mastery bridges certainly aren't cheap either.

– Ric12string

Perhaps I shouldn't have said sustain (though it does). I just meant to say that it sings with a beautiful tone.

Snorre seems to like the Staytrem bridge it his very surfy guitars.

edit: I don't do surf, so...

Bob, I have heard that exact word from others who are familiar with the Mastery bridge. I have never been one that has subscribed, in a knee jerk reaction, that sustain is always a desirable characteristic. Certainly, that is even more the case with a guitar like a Jaguar. If I knew that a Mastery would noticeably increase the guitar's sustain, I might be inclined to look into another after-market bridge. That decaying tone is what makes a Jaguar guitar distinctive, in my mind at least.

Love the envelope on these. almost like a ricochet . i'd avoid the mastery as it is meant to increase sustain. dont want that on a jag. i did get the stay-trem though that Bob Howard suggested and though it was great

http://staytrem.com/Page-/-...

I think that heavier gauge strings also mitigate against strings jumping from the grooves. I may need to quickly knock on wood here, but I have not experienced that problem yet.

– Ric12string

Ric,you're right. When the Jazzmaster was designed,light gauge strings lay almost a decade in the future.In fact,the idea of knowing the thickness of a guitar string was completely foreign.I THINK the standard gauge was around .012,maybe .013,with a wound third- a set that size would sit as tight in the bridge saddles as Leo needed.Sometimes on old records you can hear the guitar player pushing like a hippopotamus in labor to get a half-tone bend on those wound thirds.Sure felt like it to me!

Register Sign in to join the conversation