Other Guitars

NGD — Offset Heaven

With apologies to those of you who may have seen this already on Facebook, I purchased an AV '65 Jaguar last summer, but didn't really use it at all because I had always told myself that, if I ever purchased one of these, the first thing that I would do would be to send it back to Curt Wilson to have the headstock painted to match the body. I just got it back about two weeks ago and I must say that Curt did a tremendous job, which is not really any news to anyone who frequents the GDP. But, I find that I now really, really like the guitar even more than before. Those matching headstocks always got me.

But, most importantly, the tone of the guitar is just what I have been looking for. I grew up listening to the surf music in Southern California, and particularly Carl Wilson's Jaguar in the Beach Boys. I had the chance to play the Jaguar through a silverface Deluxe Reverb last week and, to my ears, it captures the sound that I have been looking for. The notes decay quickly, like a good surf guitar should, and the tone is what I hear in my head when I think about my early years listening to the radio.

So, along with the Jaguar, I also have an AV '65 Jazzmaster that I acquired from another GDP member and I think that I am in Offset Heaven finally.

Well done, Bob!

Nice.

You going for Mastery bridges on them as well?

John, I haven't concluded yet that I really need them. I read online about how everyone suggests that strings pop out all of the time, but I haven't experienced that yet. I don't beat the strings on my guitars when I play, so I am hoping that this will not be a problem for me. I suppose that, like with the after-market bridges for Gretsch guitars, many will suggest that the Mastery provides tonal advantages. Thus far, however, I like the tone that I hear. But, I am open to making changes if the need arises.

Cowabunga, dude!

– Parabar

Oh yeah, I'm swimming in the deep end.

Two beauties sir,congrats!

Awesome! Just wondering, but do people ever put a 25.5" neck on a Jaguar?

John, I haven't concluded yet that I really need them. I read online about how everyone suggests that strings pop out all of the time, but I haven't experienced that yet. I don't beat the strings on my guitars when I play, so I am hoping that this will not be a problem for me. I suppose that, like with the after-market bridges for Gretsch guitars, many will suggest that the Mastery provides tonal advantages. Thus far, however, I like the tone that I hear. But, I am open to making changes if the need arises.

– Ric12string

And that's an expensive endeavor if that's all it gets you.

Enjoy!

Have you thought about changing the pickguard to tortoise or do you prefer the all white?

Have you thought about changing the pickguard to tortoise or do you prefer the all white?

– Don Birchett

Oh, for now, I think I am okay with the white pickguard.

Bob, have you tried flatwounds on the Jaguar?

Bob, have you tried flatwounds on the Jaguar?

– Dave_K

Dave, I use flatwounds on both of these guitars.

Amazing sounding guitars. Ever since I was a kid that was the electric guitar sound I recognised. Clean, short sustain, lush reverb. Enjoy the music Ric12.

Great minds think alike!

Awesome! Just wondering, but do people ever put a 25.5" neck on a Jaguar?

– Strummerson

I don't know but I was just talking with my brother about this today! He's a big boy and a 24.xxx just doesn't work for him. I'm looking into a jag body and a strat neck for him.

Strummerson, check out this thread over on Surf Guitar 101. It might answer some of your questions.

congrats bob ..nice lookers!! the heavier flats will help keep'em from jumpin the saddle...there are tricks besides (if needed)...you can raise the individual saddles higher and lower the 2 bridge post screws..creates a sharper string angle with more tension

enjoy

cheers

congrats bob ..nice lookers!! the heavier flats will help keep'em from jumpin the saddle...there are tricks besides (if needed)...you can raise the individual saddles higher and lower the 2 bridge post screws..creates a sharper string angle with more tension

enjoy

cheers

– neatone

That right there is some very useful information, neatone. I will tuck it away for future reference. Many thanks.

Hey Bob- Congrats! Great looking guitars. Funny, I've recently had the Jaguar/ Jazzmaster itch.. Enjoy!

the beauty of the Jag is the short scale and the nice radius from the neck to the fretboard. String tension on both the Jag and the JM are really slinky so the Mastery works really well but if you don't want to get a new bridge shimming the neck will add some tension.

Register Sign in to join the conversation