Other Guitars

NGD! Short scale is All That Matters

My transition is complete! No, that kind of transition… but I have gone the distance in the transition to short scale only.

Early this century, I went off the cruel and unusual punishment of 25.5 scale guitars… Strat, Tele, and D size Martins. There was next a good 15 years with 24.75 Gibson and 24.6 (most Gretsch).

Then went off them too so it was down to 24” scale. That scale is not quite cruel and unusual punishment but too long for me.

So now 22.5 is my new long scale and 21” (short scale Ricks) is my new short scale. ‘

I just got this nice Rick 325 because of that scale. I know I’ll get hit on about the Lennon association but I only did this because it’s short scale w/ 3 pickups and Bigsby.

Will have to be refretted plus going to white plastic and master tone a volume ( ditch those ugly knobs!!) but after that will be really good for what I do along with these Mexi and Japanese 22.5” scale Strats.

...but I only did this because it’s short scale w/ 3 pickups and Bigsby.

You are likely the only one to buy one of these NOT because of Lennon.

I agree that those knobs are super ugly! Sheesh!

Nice DC. Even Rics have a short scale. I had no idea. Guess I’m just learning about Rics.

Interested in a short scale Mosrite? Here it is. If you are let me know. I have enough Mosrites and am thinking of selling it.

Nice DC. Even Rics have a short scale. I had no idea. Guess I’m just learning about Rics.

Interested in a short scale Mosrite? Here it is. If you are let me know. I have enough Mosrites and am thinking of selling it.

– ThePolecats

Well I am a sucker for short scale and red guitars. Depends on what the scale is tho. Some people call 24.75 Gibson short scale !

DC great point. I’ll measure the scale length later and let you know.

DC great point. I’ll measure the scale length later and let you know.

– ThePolecats

Yes just nut to string crossing bridge saddles...

Yes just nut to string crossing bridge saddles...

– DCBirdMan

I’ll take a tape measure to it and take a photo and post it. I’ll be home in about 45 minutes.

Looks like from the zero fret to the bridge is 22”. It should be in the running.

Bob, I think so. I like this a lot but with two full sized Mosrite I don’t need this.

22 or 22.5? Red? decently wide neck? That's 3 things going for it.. .. Guessing MiK? Might have something to think about here.

Anyone know if there were Mosrite buckers ever? Single coil is a downside for me but with both on, wired properly there's a humbucking effect.

Made in the land of the Rising Sun because it’s made by Kurukumo.

Curt Novak makes Mosrite humbuckers I believe as well as Ed Elliot, former Mosrite employee but I think these pickups footprint is slightly smaller than a full sized Mosrite so you’d have to give Novak the dimensions or send them to him and he can make them into humbuckers.

Comes with a pretty nice gig bag, as can see in some of the pictures. It doesn’t say Mosrite but says Ibanez. It’s padded pretty good. Should you be interested we can negotiate a price that we could agree on.

What’s the story behind your Ric? What year is it? It’s a beauty.

It's a 1994... I maybe 2nd owner as it appears to have been sold by this place in 2008. Reciept still in case.

the-music-connection.com

Sold for $2250 but that was 10 yrs ago, right after market crash, etc. Prices of everything have come back some.

Options are flip it , keep it as is or mod it into something I can play and lose $$$ in the process.

It's a 1994... I maybe 2nd owner as it appears to have been sold by this place in 2008. Reciept still in case.

the-music-connection.com

Sold for $2250 but that was 10 yrs ago, right after market crash, etc. Prices of everything have come back some.

Options are flip it , keep it as is or mod it into something I can play and lose $$$ in the process.

– DCBirdMan

I have been watching a lot of Ric videos on YouTube and most people I think go for the semi-hollow models BUT the solid bodies sound awesome. I would say they can do rockabilly really well.

Here's my 1960s Supro – baseball bat neck, single coils lurking behind the humbucker shaped covers, non-original tune-o-matic bridge, red finger-operated (spring-loaded) tremolo toggle switch, 21 7/8" scale. I string it with .014 gauge strings by buying a 7-string set and not using the high e that comes with it.

Congrats DC!

I had a 1990 Rick 325V59 mapleglo,and i loved those knobs and the gold guards! Hated that Bigsby though.

Paid £600 for it back in 91,wish i had the little bugger back!

Cruel and unusual punishment.,.I like that. It took me a while to work out that I didn't get on with full scale necks. And got caught out recently whilst trying to get a Dano U2 into shape. It felt stiff n stupid. The overall bulk of the guitar fooled me! So much smaller overall than my Epiphone firebird...which plays like a dream

No buyer's remrose but it is dawning on me I should have waited for a 21" scale Rick 950 tulip body

Register Sign in to join the conversation