Other Guitars

NGD! My dad bought me an Ibanez Roadstar!

So apparently my father's coworker found this in the trash. He doesn't play or (evidently know somebody who does), so Dad--knowing I like vintage guitars--offered him a reasonable value and took it home.

Now, 80s superstrat would not have been high on my list of vintage guitars to procure through dumb luck, but who am I to stand in the way of serendipity? Anyways, I'd heard good things about these over the years, and had been jonesing for a cheap strat lately. I do love 80s Japanese guitars too.

I received it today, and couldn't be more pleased. It's a 1985, but it doesn't look a day old. Like someone bought it new, played it a couple times, and left it in the case (yes it came with OHSC), where it survived 32 spring cleanings, but not 33. I strung it up, tuned it up, and rocked out for three hours. Despite its 80s provenance, it's got surprisingly vintagey pickups. Warm and bubbly with that stratty "zing". The bridge humbucker is very useable, probably moreso than most single coil strat bridge pickups I've played, and it has a coil tap switch in the volume pot.

The bridge is different form the classic 6-screw, but very much in the same family, not at all 80s Floyd Rose. I'm not terribly picky about neck shapes, but this one has a pretty inoffensively medium C that anyone could get along with.

Aesthetically, it's pretty subdued for a superstrat. Simple antique white with a one-ply black pickguard, shaped just different enough to avoid another lawsuit, but also has its own thing going on. And that retro headstock!

Stay tuned for some more pics

I've never had a strat before, therefore I've never set one up. Is the back of the bridge supposed to sit this high off the guitar? Should I add more springs in the back?

serial number

That's actually pretty dandy. "Super"Strats are actually a very good idea...they were just abused musically. It's not their fault.

I like a slightly darker, meatier pickup at the bridge myself.

these wacky strap buttons

and the original case

That trem relief off the body doesn't look extreme. It's a matter of how much upward bend you'd like in your whammying, completely up to you. If it's reasonably stable in returning to pitch, it's fine.

Adjusting springs in a Strat is a little micro-science all to itself. Every time you change string gauges, you'll be tightening or loosening the claw. It's unlikely you'd ever need to add springs - unless you essentially want to lock it tight to the top and make it all but impossible to whammy.

Or go to VERY heavy strings, a la SRV.

artsy shot, or something

That trem relief off the body doesn't look extreme. It's a matter of how much upward bend you'd like in your whammying, completely up to you. If it's reasonably stable in returning to pitch, it's fine.

Adjusting springs in a Strat is a little micro-science all to itself. Every time you change string gauges, you'll be tightening or loosening the claw. It's unlikely you'd ever need to add springs - unless you essentially want to lock it tight to the top and make it all but impossible to whammy.

Or go to VERY heavy strings, a la SRV.

– Proteus

Ah yes, a couple turns to the claw brought it back down and tightened up the whammy action.

Ha, I in the day I had that exact guitar.... I ended up selling it. Was a nice playing/ sounding guitar. I do remember that the fret size on mine was different than my other guitars? They were very large from what I remember. Or small.... hell i can’t remember.

Nice score! Your Dad hooked you up. This Strat doesn't seem to be made for just for 80s metal like some of the other Ibanez, Jacksons or Charvel Strats of the 1980s. This appears to be an all around good time Strat. I dig it!

My friend had that model for decades until his son started in bands and claimed it and won’t give it back.

Found in the trash! What is the matter with some people these days?!

Congrats Otter,cool gift sir!

I gigged with the bass version of that for ages, such a cool find.

Cool. Looks like a great find. Congrats

If I found any half decent guitar in the trash, let alone a MIJ-guitar, I'd buy myself a lotery ticket.

Register Sign in to join the conversation