Other Guitars

NGD Mosrite Mark V 1966 Red

Well I've been liking Mosrite for sometime now. You may have seen my thread on what's the difference between the Mark V and the Mark II. Mel confirmed they are the same thing other than the slab board version of the II. I do notice the Mark II German Carved Body goes for a lot more normally than the Mark V even though they are essentially the same thing.

I got this red 1966 off Reverb recently. I hope I didn't over pay but I got it for $2159 shipped. It was a lot more, I at $2,400 + 60 shipping, before but he dropped it to $2200 + shipping if I recall right. He said people were giving him ridiculously low Offers. I offered $2,100 took it. I mean he made it as noted earlier $2099 + 60 shipping.

I seen excellent condition Mark Vs being sold for about $2,500 and seen a bet beat up Mark Vs for about $1,600. Mine is not excellent but not beat up. Some nicks but not too much, so I think the $2099 plus shipping is a reasonable price. He said he took a "bath" on it, meaning he lost money on it. Not sure what he bought it for. I can guess maybe the $2,400 he had it listed at.

I'll post pictures if you are curious.

By the way it came with original Alligator Case.

I didn't purchase it as an "investment". I don't buy guitars for that purpose, plus if you do you are banking your guitar holds it value and goes up so who knows even with a vintage model if it does. I do however would hope I got a reasonable price and hope one day maybe this will be worth a bit more should I ever sell it.

I do like that it's a Ventures model. I believe that this was considered a student model back in the '60s. I know the Mark II slab board model is a student model before they went to German Carved but I think even the German Carved is considered a student model.

I love the color by the way.

Everytime I see a Mark V I keep on thinking 8th Grade. I say that because Rock Lobster came out about a year before that and in 8th Grade some kid had brought to school the B-52s album. Even though I didn't pickup guitar for another year, I do remember looking at the album and seeing that interesting guitar with the strange headstock on it. I didn't know what a headstock was in those days but felt it looked cool like that. So this guitar brings me back to 8th grade in 1980/81. I didn't buy it for that purpose nor did I buy it because of The B-52's. Honestly not a fan of theirs but I like about four songs of theirs but not enough to be a fan. Two of the songs have the Mosrite on it and then a couple others are post-Ricky Wilson and are probably Strats or Teles. But the Mosrite songs, "Rock Lobster" and "Lava" I like a lot. Saw them in concert but not because I was wanting to. They opened for The GoGos back in 2000 or 2001. So obviously no Mosrites at that show.

That's a cool looking guitar, congrats!

I've had two Mosrites, and I'm down to one now, a '66 Joe Maphis, it was the better of the two, and there are definite differences between that and the 60's MarkI I had. Essentially, it seems, they are the same electronically, but body wise, the Maphis is much wider, but the sound is practically the same.

That is a sweet guitar! I love the red! I've always wanted to own a Mosrite, I never see them up here for sale and if they are they a pretty much double what you got yours for

Not a bad price at all, and a great color to boot. Mosrites have a sound all their own. I also have a '66 Joe Maphis, a Kurokumo ("Excellent") Ventures copy, and some Mosrite pickups in an obscure japanese hollowbody. How do you like it so far?

Fun Fact du jour: Both Lee Dorman (bass) and Erik Brann (guitar) of Iron Butterfly played Mosrites during the "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" era.

Mosrites are righteously cool guitars and that looks to be a fine example that you scored. You have also reignited my Mosrite GAS and I will soon be obsessing over the Hallmark website once again. Congrats and thanks alot

Congratulations! Personally, I'm a big fan of Mosrites. I love the tone and the playability with the thin neck, zero fret, speed frets and vibrato. Enjoy the guitar!

Mosrites are sound great and look better, but I honestly don't know how anyone can play those necks. I can't.

The version from Hallmark does have a wider Strat/Tele nut width (1 5/8ths) and standard size crowned frets so I would imagine they are easier to play for most.

That is a sweet guitar! I love the red! I've always wanted to own a Mosrite, I never see them up here for sale and if they are they a pretty much double what you got yours for

– Gretsch6123

Yep I think that Mosrites aren't that common. I mean you see them on eBay and Reverb but that is nationwide but locally really you don't see many advertised in Craigslist for example. Here on the GDP maybe not many have them too.

I like this guitar and plan on keeping it but if I ever sell it I will give you first dibs on it and sell it to you for what I got it for if you want it. I love it and have no plans to sell it but if I ever do I can let you know.

Not a bad price at all, and a great color to boot. Mosrites have a sound all their own. I also have a '66 Joe Maphis, a Kurokumo ("Excellent") Ventures copy, and some Mosrite pickups in an obscure japanese hollowbody. How do you like it so far?

– FritzTheCat

Fritz is your Kurokumo Excellent heavy? I know that is vague a term but to your best judgement does it feel heavy? I ask because I see an Excellent up on eBay now and it's weight is listed and in KG so I converted that to pounds and it was about 9.5 pounds. My Morales Mosrite is about that weight and feels heavy, and it's because it's made of mahogany.

No, I think mine is a little over 8 lbs.

Thanks everyone for the posts. Thanks all for the congrats.

crowbone and Rattlecat, thanks. I been thinking about Mosrite along time and saw this and went a bit overboard but it's worth it.

Parabar, that's cool to see Iron Butterfly used them because back then they were new guitars and they were using guitars with another band's name on them. I find that cool because this isn't retro back then when IB was around.

Gretschadelphia, yes think about getting the Hallmark. They are a good price and you get a lot for your money with them. I could have gotten a Hallmark for half this and still been happy but it's nice to get a piece of American history, guitar history, or American guitar history, however you want to put it. I do have a 1964 Gretsch Country Club, a 1962 Kay Swingmaster guitar, and a 1936ish SS Stewart acoustic archtop so I have American History /Music already I guess but this is a nice addition. I should have not spent money like this but it should hold the value and maybe even go up I think.

Mel, thanks for the congrats. It's a fine guitar and happy to get this.

Mosrites are sound great and look better, but I honestly don't know how anyone can play those necks. I can't.

– Caliban335

It's a little tough. The frets are almost non existent but when you play enough you adapt and get used to it. Then when I go back to my Strat it's like a luxury guitar in terms of neck and frets. But I guess you might say that's part of the experience of Mosrite.

Now my Morales Mosrite, maybe not real of course but a vintage Japanese copy is very nice in terms of neck and frets. I'm fretting over (no pun intended) whether I should sell the Morales and put the money towards the money I spent on the Mosrite Mark V. i could get about $600 for it. I'm not hurting money wise but still I could make up some of the money I spent on the Mark V by selling the Morales. The Morales is a dream to play too, just heavy.

I had a 1967 years ago. It had two serial numbers — one with a V prefix, mostly scratched out, and one without. I assumed that was because The Ventures' endorsement had just ended.

I ended up selling it. No matter what I did, it broke E strings at the ball end with alarming frequency (especially live), and the frets were just too small for my tastes. I loved the vibrato system and pickups, though!

I've had similar problems with the E string breaking, so now I always solder the twists at the ball end before putting the string on.

I had a 1967 years ago. It had two serial numbers — one with a V prefix, mostly scratched out, and one without. I assumed that was because The Ventures' endorsement had just ended.

I ended up selling it. No matter what I did, it broke E strings at the ball end with alarming frequency (especially live), and the frets were just too small for my tastes. I loved the vibrato system and pickups, though!

– seadevil

Yes, the frets are almost none existent. I am getting used to them though. Trying to adjust. Then after playing and I switch to my Strat, Gretsch Club or my Danelectro or any guitar it seems to want to play itself because it's so comfortable because of the frets.

But you know what I am getting used to the fretlessness and getting better at it. I am liking the guitar. No plans on selling since I just got it and still loving it but I tend to think I will keep it for years without any reason to sell. It should hold it's value to but I am not trying to make money off it. I want it as a player.

Register Sign in to join the conversation