Other Guitars

NGD Les Paul Goldtop (pictures added)

When these came out I read many complaints the pickups were too dark. I suppose they are wound to rock, like the pu in my LP Jr.

I played it some more the last few days and did some fine tuning on the set up. It plays and feels great aside from some sharp fret ends. Maybe it's because of the humidity or because it's in the living room where the temperature isn't stable. I'll leave them as is for now and if necessary I'll try to smooth out the fret ends.

I haven't played it through a real amp yet (except when I tried it out before I bought it). For now I played it through my Yamaha THR10, and it sounds pretty cool I think.

By the way, nice examples posted here! Would love to see more pics and learn more about the mods you all have been doing!

Feel free to post pictures etc. in this thread!

Here's the promised additional pics:

photo Gibson_Les_Paul_A003_zpso4umh4ow.jpg

photo Gibson_Les_Paul_A002_zpsqqppidhd.jpg

photo Gibson_Les_Paul_A004_zpspph1ygja.jpg

photo Gibson_Les_Paul_A005_zpsmus1y9lr.jpg

photo Gibson_Les_Paul_A007_zpsdtc6hbvw.jpg

photo Gibson_Les_Paul_A006_zpsuatggrbd.jpg

photo Gibson_Les_Paul_A008_zpsa5junnrf.jpg

Now let's search for a Bigsby...

Here's mine I use THorns too. Love em

It started greening up as soon as I got it

Wow, that looks familiar.

Here's my "rescued" '71:

Lp1 photo 853808E3-F9E4-4404-9550-E3B0304A8E8F-9937-00001024F67942C1_tmp_zpsv4qcleiu.jpeg

Wow, that looks familiar.

Here's my "rescued" '71:

Lp1 photo 853808E3-F9E4-4404-9550-E3B0304A8E8F-9937-00001024F67942C1_tmp_zpsv4qcleiu.jpeg

– Cirecc

Great minds my friend... I did mine like that in 2012. You?

Some cool examples! Thanks for sharing!

Great minds my friend... I did mine like that in 2012. You?

– Billy D Light

You beat me, 2015

It also came in a nice case:

photo Gibson_Les_Paul_A009_zpsjvuxaehy.jpg

photo Gibson_Les_Paul_A010_zps9jqdo3zj.jpg

I had a 52 in a lot worse shape than this one:

LP-GT-1954

The guy I bought mine from used a spiked metal gauntlet when he played, and the top looked like 10,000 cowboys square danced with stirrups on the top.

I had a 52 in a lot worse shape than this one:

LP-GT-1954

– crowbone

What happened to that?

Notice some folks using a B3's (or 6?) on these Les Pauls. I thought a B7 was needed? I've eyed these 50's Tributes for several years, starting to GAS for one again, but I'm hopeless without a Bigsby on my guitar. They work OK without the tension bar? I can't stand strings popping out of the bridge...

I have a B3 on mine. It works fine, however you do lose any ground connection unless you leave in the metal plug in the body for it to contact the Bigsby. Really truly, you're probably better off going with the B7.

I never really liked the look of the B7 so I was determined to put on a B3. But looking at lots (and lots) of pics of gold tops (especially the conversion thread here on the GDP) I'm liking the B7 more and more. I always thought they looked too clunky and handled a bit stiffer. And on a Les Paul they cover up most of the tailpiece-holes. I'm still undecided which one I will get though.

Here's mine, I swapped out the pick ups for thorn staples

I have a B3 on mine. It works fine, however you do lose any ground connection unless you leave in the metal plug in the body for it to contact the Bigsby. Really truly, you're probably better off going with the B7.

– spike

I'm aware of the ground connection, but I saw it is possible to drill a hole and route the ground wire elsewhere. Not much time to tinker on stuff lately, didn't even touch a guitar for a few days now.

By the way, yours look pretty cool!

I'm not a real "heavy hitter," and there's enough of a break angle for me that I don't have strings popping out of the saddles. I don't like tension bars--to me the Bigsby doesn't feel the same. But I can see if you use very light strings, or play hard, that you might want the B7. Mine's pictured on page one of this thread--I've got a similar set up to Billy and spike. No problems with the B3 for me!

Mike2000.

Here's mine with the B3. The pickups are a Fralin in the neck, and a Lollar in the bridge. I left the posts in, which isn't so pretty--but it does serve as my ground because post touches the Bigsby...

– reverb11

That's a beautiful guitar, nice finish! I'm also not a heavy hitter (anymore) and normally use .011's. There's .010's on there for now because that's what it was set up for. The nut needs some work 'cause the strings get caught in there. I'll do that when it's time for the next string change and put on a set of .011's.

I'm still not sure which Bigsby I'll choose, but it will mostly be a cosmetic choice. I'm aware that they feel different with or without a tension bar. I don't have much guitar time lately so it can wait for now...

Register Sign in to join the conversation