Other Guitars

NGD, Les Paul Classic in heritage cherry sunburst (photo update)

A peek inside, hmmm, there's a little ding on the lip of the case, about 2/3rds of the way down. No worries I was able to massage it out.

The eagle has landed!

WOW,that’s gorgeous!!! And do tell us what you think of build/finish also. Sweetwater is great aren’t they? I just picked up Jet bass for my son a few months ago...Ryan is my go to on speed dial :)

Congratulations on your purchase. There's nothing quite like a really good Les Paul standard. IMHO they are the alpha males of guitars. I wouldn't part with my '79 for anything. Sweetwater is awesome to deal with. I can't say enough good things about them. I hope Gibson is turning things around for the better. Looking forward to hearing your assessment of the new model.

OMG THERE'S A CRACK IN THE TOP!

Didn't you wait 24 HOURS?

I've thoroughly inspected the guitar, the fit and finish are perfect, and Sweetwater did a fantastic job fitting the bone nut and setting up the guitar (my Sweetwater rep is Ken Nace). The build quality is exceptional, everything is perfectly aligned, and all of the inlays are perfectly centered. The nitrocellulose finish is glassy, with no imperfections.

My first impression was that it is extremely comfortable to play, I'm digging the slimmer neck. The strings are very low, with zero fret buzz detected. Heavily bent G, B, and E strings do not fret out, and the guitar has great sustain.

I'll check back in after a week or two, after I have a chance to play it with the boys a couple of times. I want to hear how it mixes in with drums, bass and rhythm guitar. These things usually cut through the mix very well, and I'll report back on the usual things we look for, while playing with a group.

So far I'M LOVING THE HECK OUT OF IT!

The new bone nut, that Sweetwater made, is perfect.

How's the weight? I'm always interested in how heavy LP's are. Over the years I've been scared off by the legend of 12 pound guitars.

Great looking guitar. Congrats! I didn't realize Sweetwater would put a nut on a guitar- cool. Just to ask, what type of nut does an LP classic come with? (was just looking it up- sounds like synthetic, perhaps "Tusq"- like material..?)

Anyway, enjoy! Great finish for an LP.
Oh, you may want to ask for a credit.. they forgot the pickup covers! I kid.. I kid...

How's the weight? I'm always interested in how heavy LP's are. Over the years I've been scared off by the legend of 12 pound guitars.

– kc_eddie_b

This specific guitar weighs 9lbs 10oz's, it has moderate 9 hole weight relief, Eddie. It still feels plenty solid and hefty, but not overly so. It's one of reasons why I chose the classic over the heavily chambered standard. The other, and very important reason was that this is the first year that the classic came with the 4 push pull pots, for coil tapping, phase switching and bypass. It was a great choice for me, as I actually prefer a heavier Les Paul, and I'm not particularly fond of the way Gibson is bookmatching their flame maple tops.

Great looking guitar. Congrats! I didn't realize Sweetwater would put a nut on a guitar- cool. Just to ask, what type of nut does an LP classic come with? (was just looking it up- sounds like synthetic, perhaps "Tusq"- like material..?)

Anyway, enjoy! Great finish for an LP.
Oh, you may want to ask for a credit.. they forgot the pickup covers! I kid.. I kid...

– Metman

Metman, Gibson is using a material they call Tektoid, which is just a fancy name for plastic. I read numerous reviews about nut binding problems with Tektoid, and figured I'd just go ahead and nip that in the bud. I have bone on all my other guitars, both electric and acoustic. I don't have a a huge collection of guitars, 7 electric and 2 acoustic so it has been doable. I generally have a bone nut (and bridge saddle on acoustics) installed shortly after purchasing a new guitar, unless it already has one.

I have a factory coil tap toggle on my 335, a great example from the late 70s (an unusual model that also has a trapeze tailpiece rather stop). Despite the fact that a tapped ‘bucker rarely sounds as strong as true single-coil, I’ve found it very useful over the years. I have many guitars with taps, some factory and some after-mods.

Since, with push-pull (or push-push) pots that capacity (as well as phase reverse) can be added with no telltale extra controls on a traditional design, it’s always baffled me that guitars are built any other way. It’s hardly exotic or mysterious - tapping and phase reverse have been around, inherent in the nature of the beast, since the first electromagnets went on the guitar 90 years ago. They ought to be standard.

I’m rarely a fan of the out-of-phase tone by itself, but it does sometimes fit just right as a color in layered overdubs - and it can be killer (Queen!) as a fully saturated lead voice.

It’s a funny commentary on the mind-set of guitarists that some can object to a feature that extends the functionality of the instrument - when it’s invisible, doesn’t compromise anything else about the instrument, and is easily ignored if they don’t want to use it. I guess just knowing it’s there bothers them. I understand Gibson has taken heat for the inclusion of these modest (and ancient) wiring “tricks,” which scratches my head. It’s not like they’re innovative or avant garde, and they’re hardly stupid Henryisms. They’re more like common sense.

I do, though, somehow prefer the look of a full-dress Lester (or other Gibson/esque luxury box) with covered humbuckers. The exposed coils are faintly obscene, like a blower sticking through the hood or hot rod exhaust headers peeking out from behind the front wheels of a Cadillac.

I'm always interested in how heavy LP's are. Over the years I've been scared off by the legend of 12 pound guitars.

There’s no doubt some truth to it - but of all my small-solidbodies (a Gibson LP and numerous Less Pauls and other inspired-bys), the heaviest is my first-gen Electromatic Doublejet. It’s literally a 12-pounder.

I think few LPs have actually gone over 10.

Congrats on your new LP....it's a beauty. Glad to hear that the new management at Gibson appear to be following through on upping the game on consistent QC. The classic Gibson designs, especially the LP, are fabulous and when they get it right on the quality end, you truly have something special. Getting the guitar set up with a new bone nut from Sweetwater was a really smart call. I know they do a pretty thorough inspection of the guitars before they send them out, but having one of their Tech's go over it, install a bone nut and do a set-up was a lock to insure that you were getting a perfect instrument. I really hope that Gibson makes a huge comeback as far as re-establishing themselves as a brand that delivers a high level of quality on a consistent basis.

@Proteus....if mfg's included coil taps as "standard" then they would not be able to charge us extra for the "upgraded deluxe" models. I suspect that is why they are not "std".

Very pretty guitar, BTW...and, I am happy that that drastic temperature change did not cause any finish damage!

Really nice guitar. I love NGD threads....... maybe one day I will be able to contribute....

I had a honey burst classic many years back. Sorry I let that one go but we all have stories about the one that got away. Congrats, that's a beauty!

Very pretty guitar, BTW...and, I am happy that that drastic temperature change did not cause any finish damage! Toddfan

I live in the Phoenix metro area Todd, the guys were just funning me about the box thing. The temperature in the UPS truck was probably the same as the temperature in my house. So it was a non issue.

Congrats. I bought a 2017 Classic from Sam Ash last summer and am very happy. Your heritage cherry looks awesome.

Mine came with 57s and 57 pluses. Great tone and finish . Hard to believe these are the same price the traditionals were just a few years ago. Enjoy your guitar.

Very pretty guitar, BTW...and, I am happy that that drastic temperature change did not cause any finish damage! Toddfan

I live in the Phoenix metro area Todd, the guys were just funning me about the box thing. The temperature in the UPS truck was probably the same as the temperature in my house. So it was a non issue.

– Wade H

....i thought that was what I was doing, too.

....i thought that was what I was doing, too.

– Toddfan

Oops, you were! I was having a mentaly slow day!

Register Sign in to join the conversation