Other Guitars

NGD, Les Paul Classic in heritage cherry sunburst (photo update)

I just took delivery of a new Gibson Les Paul Classic in Heritage Cherry Sunburst. I purchased it from Sweetwater, and had a great experience dealing with them. It was the first guitar that I've bought from Sweetwater, they post the actual pictures and serial numbers of the guitars, and I had several to visually choose from.

I had them install a bone nut and do a complete setup with new D'Addario EXP strings (10 - 46). It weights 9lbs 10oz's, has a regular carved maple top, mahogany body, mahogany 60's slim tapered neck, nitrocellulose lacquer, Burstbucker 61r and 61t pickups, push pull coil tap volume pots, and push pull phase and bypass tone pots. It also comes with a Gibson brown hard case and an accessory pack, that includes a real leather Gibson strap.

I wouldn't have bought any Gibson guitar a couple of years ago, but I read that the 2019 lines were better than they have been in years. The box has a sticker on it, that reads "please wait 24 hours before opening, to allow your guitar to acclimate to its new environment". Really, 24 hours? But I wana open it now!

I bought it on the Presidents day sale, and I I'm only now just receiving it because of the work I had them do. I got it at a great price (almost affordable), and felt that the Les Paul Classic was the most bang for the buck in the line.

So here are a few of the pictures Sweetwater took of the guitar, they did a nicer more professional job than I could have. I'm quivering in anticipation to open that damn box!

This is exactly the one I've always dreamed of when I was a kid! The sunburst color is perfect. Congratulations.

Oh lordy mercy, that's enough make a feller drool. I'm a sucker for a maple fretboard on a Tele or Strat, but I'm just as much smitten with a cherry burst Les Paul. And with the combination of those burst buckers and that tricked out electronics set up, I'm betting you're gonna have fun for days exploring soundscapes! Congratulations, Wade, enjoy!

Open the box.

That sticker doesn't mean you.

That is a fine player! Congrats!

Beside aesthetics, is there a difference between the covered humbuckers and these open zebras?

Unless it was freezing cold outside your house on the big truck, that label doesn't apply to you. Just open the box. We will all be responsible if the lacquer shatters upon doing so and will tell you how bad we feel about what happened.

Open the box.

Beside aesthetics, is there a difference between the covered humbuckers and these open zebras?

– NJBob

From what I've read and experienced Bob, the open zebra pickups are a little brighter and "open" sounding. They allow a better (or different) magnetic field, and have more output than the covered pickups.

Open the box.

That sticker doesn't mean you.

– Proteus

I'm having a hard time restraining myself from opening the box, but I think I'll wait until tomorrow morning. I'm sure it would be a rarity for something bad to happen if it is opened right away, but my Volcan logic dictates I should wait. I'm spending today with that Jeopardy final question tune playing in my head!

Here's the case that comes with a new Les Paul, it's quite nice!

Wade, the reason for asking you to wait 24 hours is if there is a significant difference in temperatures from outside on the truck and inside your home. As a resident of Arizona, I seriously doubt that that will be an issue for you.

Open the box. Then go tear off the tag on your mattress.

Wade, the reason for asking you to wait 24 hours is if there is a significant difference in temperatures from outside on the truck and inside your home. As a resident of Arizona, I seriously doubt that that will be an issue for you.

Open the box. Then go tear off the tag on your mattress.

– Ric12string

Good point Rick, I kind of figured as much. I'm gonna open it!

You sir, have taste.

Nice to see a non-flame top every now and then.

Good point Rick, I kind of figured as much. I'm gonna open it!

– Wade H

Good move. And don't forget the mattress tag.

Yeah, your good. Take her out and treat her like a Lady.

Ooh, I'd leave it at least a week -- maybe two!!!

Looks wonderful! I bet you're gonna love it. CONGRATS!

He hasn't been back. He's either Paulverizing or crying over the shattered finish.

You sir, have taste.

Nice to see a non-flame top every now and then.

– Ger (aka Ratrod)

I really don't care for the way Gibson bookmatch's their flame maple tops. They are seldom mirror images, and IMO look a bit odd. If I'm paying for flame, I'd prefer a full board, not one split in two and opened up (if that is actually what they're doing). I'm not even sure that they are bookmatching their tops, they look as though they are coming from two different boards.

It has been a half hour now. That certainly must have been long enough to take some photos, right?

Congrats Wade!

I had a cherry sunburst Standard back in 93/94 ,lovely guitar it was too,wish i had it now....

It has been a half hour now. That certainly must have been long enough to take some photos, right?

– Ric12string

I have to run out for a while Rick, I decided to wait until I get back home to open the box. Patience my friends, updated photos are on the way a bit later. I'll take pictures everything, including the accessories pack. I'm dying to see it too!

Register Sign in to join the conversation