Other Guitars

NGD - I did a thing

Well sorta, I put it in lay away. These are stock photos I found.

So my daughter really likes my 5420 and I wanted to get a different guitar to play when I accompany her. I was interested in a Guild Starfire III but no one in my city carries them in stock, I would have to order one. So for the last two months I have been visiting different guitar stores playing everything.

I grew increasingly fond of the Les Paul Studio, especially the close out prices, but I decided I would keep playing guitars until one spoke to me and this one did just that. It looked weird so I had to pick it up.

It's a Peerless Retromatic P2 with a humbucker in the bridge and a P90 at the neck. I'm not tone savvy like most of you but I like the sound that came out of it playing through a Fender Blues Jr. It's got twang and seemed to articulate all 6 strings well.

The neck is slightly on the chunky side (which I have learned to manage) the 24.75" scale spoke to me and the action off the shelf was super nice.

It's maple laminate with a mahogany center block,

The close out price of $499 with a gig bag was the icing on the cake. I can't wait to bring it home

Peerless makes some excellent instruments. Many of the high-end Epiphone archtops were made there for many years. I have several, and they are all superb.

It's hard to go wrong with Peerless - at twice their selling price. At that price, you got a steal!

Beautiful guitar, perfect detailing in spec and appointments.

I also have several Peerless guitars, and every one is a superb instrument.

Also, Peerless is good people. Some years ago one of their dealers was (falsely) claiming that Peerless built Gretsch guitars. (They built a few models in the past, but haven't for a long time.) I emailed the company; the guy who answered was appalled that a dealer was putting that out there, and put a stop to it. I've had other contact with them relative to specs of their models, and always had prompt, thorough, collegial responses.

Peerless truly is.

what's funny is I didn't know anything about Peerless until I researched them after buying it. I read several threads about them on this site.

I didn't realize it had a P90 in the neck position at first, but I noticed the tone of the combined pickups was really nice, I knew something was going on.

One other thing that's cool - the saddles in the tune o matic style bridge are rounded so my palm will NOT be tortured each time I play. Yet another win!

I can't wait to bring it home. When I do I'll post a full report with more photos and stuff.

I'm pretty sure that Sam Ash is now a Peerless dealer. My two local Ash stores both have a few new Peerless guitars in stock. Previously, it was hard to find a Peerless dealer in my part of the USA.

Ha! One way or another, Sam Ash has been a Peerless dealer for a long time.

Perhaps just not under the Peerless brand name.

I'm pretty sure that Sam Ash is now a Peerless dealer. My two local Ash stores both have a few new Peerless guitars in stock. Previously, it was hard to find a Peerless dealer in my part of the USA.

– Gretschadelphia

I was told these (Retromatics) are no longer being made (or maybe just not imported to the USA, IDK), thus the crazy close out price. Smoke em if you got em as they say, before they're gone.

Ha! One way or another, Sam Ash has been a Peerless dealer for a long time.

Perhaps just not under the Peerless brand name.

– Proteus

No question. Peerless made some outstanding guitars for Ash under the Carlo Robelli house brand and not just a killer Gretsch style. They did a semi-hollow thinline Gibby style single cut with a B70 that I also had major GAS for.

Great choice Mr Chris, congratulations on the new guitar. A new guitar is always fun, it looks like a sweet instrument, enjoy her in good health.

Ok, so I brought it home and I'm having a blast playing it. This is my second guitar, so to speak, the one I will play with I perform with my daughter (who has commandeered by 5420, which is my main guitar).

The neck is a D shape and probably close to a 12" radius, the fret markers on the side are super hard for me to see even when I'm wearing my glasses. The action is awesome!. It's a maple lam body with a mahogany center block. Humbucker at the bridge, P-90 at the neck - good lord this P-90 is a hum beast, I mean it makes a Tele seem quiet, but the tone I get when using both pickups is dreamy to me. But dang that hum...

The color is "ivory" but in the photos is looks yellow or greenish.

Tele players will probably love the volume and tone knobs, both can be adjusted with your pinky on the fly. The saddles are solid cylinders with a groove cut out in the middle, they are roller saddles. They are also curved on top so if you rest your hand on the bridge there is no worry of injury.

I dig it.

If you can embiggen the photo you might see the detail in the bridge and saddles

It's not a 5 string guitar, I took a few pictures as I was beginning to change the strings

I CANNOT see these little dots when I'm standing up playing!!

My only niggle is the loud truss rod cover (RETROMATIC). Who is the forum guy who makes custom pickguards? I'd like to see about having something made that is a little more subtle to replace this

Good looking guitar. The headstock looks fine to me, but if you want to change it, Setzer is the guy you’re looking for.

Register Sign in to join the conversation