Other Guitars

NGD - Guild X-175 Manhattan

Well, this beauty arrived safe and sound earlier this morning. It spent the day acclimating to my music room and I finally got to check it out after work. It's my first experience with a Guild, and I'm very happy with this guitar, especially for the price.

It's been a few years since I had a hollowbody with no back-to-front bracing, so it'll take some adjusting again. With no sound post and pickups that don't seem to be potted very much, if at all, this thing feeds back incredibly easy, especially in my tiny music room where I'm sitting in such close proximity to my amps.

But, I love the sound of these pickups, especially that bold, loud low-end snap and definition that you can only get from a single coil pickup. These Franz reissues have more loud, low-end twang than any P-90 I've ever heard.

I'm still getting familiar with it and adjusting to the differences between it and my Gretsch guitars, but I'm enjoying those differences. Build quality is excellent, and it feels a bit better built than my 5120, though they are both built in the same factory.

Here's some pics, along with a shot of the rest of my collection.

That's Purty!

Aye,very pretty sunburst on there,congrats.

Very Nice!

I have always lusted after the Guilds since I had seen the Paladins. Very happy they are in production again.

I also like the reissue of the M-75 Aristocrat, but I am bummed they don't have a blonde one in the lineup (except of the $7K plus custom shop version).

Thanks, all. I just spent a couple more hours with it tonight, and I've figured out how to manage the feedback effectively. It may be made in the same factory as the Electromatics, but it feels and plays better than my 5120, getting close to my Terada-made Annie in playability.

Now, it may be the honeymoon talking, but these pickups could almost make me forget about filtertrons altogether. It has me thinking I should order T-Armonds in filtertron mounts for my Annie and get more single coils in my collection.

Hey BFS, don't see this as some "anti-Gretsch" thing, but I do agree the Newark guitars feel like a step up in quality and feel from the Electro Gretsches.

Now, it may be the honeymoon talking, but these pickups could almost make me forget about filtertrons altogether

Ha! I SO resemble that remark. When I got my first (old) X175 about fifteen years ago, it was a revelation to me, and it got me off any kind of humbucker for good. I'd struggled with a Tennessee Rose for a couple of years, trying to get it to sound like I wanted, eventually trying different single coils on it, then I got the Guild and never looked back. My favorite "Rockin" hollowbodies", period.

Congrats on your new X-175. That's sure a beauty on the outside and musically too.

Thanks Echosonic.

Walter, I definitely didn't have any illusions as to what I was missing with filtertrons. I've always wanted more of the snappiness and response of a single coil, and the non-potted TV Classics I have in my Annie are quite good in that respect. But these Franz reissue pickups have such a ballsy, low-end twang and fat tone that I love. I don't think any of the P90's I've ever had have sounded quite like this either. I won't rush out to start pickup swaps in my Gretsch guitars right yet, but I'm definitely thinking about it.

Okay, this is much better. I just need a Bigsby on a hollowbody to be happy, so I snagged a Guild B6 off ebay and got it installed today.

I also reversed polarity and windings on the neck pickup while I had the strings off to get noise cancelling in the middle position. That was a bit more of an ordeal than I expected. These pickups, while absolutely awesome sounding, are a bit shoddy in construction. The magnets, after being reversed, could still be slid back and forth, even after tightening the base plate as much as possible. I think wax was the only thing holding the magnets in place. When I checked the bridge pickup, one of the magnets had already slid out of place on it's own. These appear to have only been partially potted too, as the magnets and baseplate had wax, but the coils didn't.

Ideally, I should look at potting these pickups again to secure everything in place. For the time being, I just wrapped some narrow tape around the baseplates to contain the magnets, which seems to work.

I might put a Tru-arc on at some point, but for the time being, this bridge does quite well. It intonates properly, which it should, being a compensated bridge, and it seems to be working ok with the Bigsby. The nut seems to be cut well too, as tuning is very stable with the Bigsby.

Beautiful guitar! You did well. I don't know why Guild doesn't offer the Bigsbyfied X-175 in sunburst.

Beautiful guitar! You did well. I don't know why Guild doesn't offer the Bigsbyfied X-175 in sunburst.

– Don Birchett

Thanks. I can't figure that out either. I'd also love to see the Capri with the reissue Franz pickups instead of just the humbuckers.

Thanks. I can't figure that out either. I'd also love to see the Capri with the reissue Franz pickups instead of just the humbuckers.

– built4speed

Yes, absolutely, and DeArmonds would be very cool too. I have a friend who has one of the rare Capris with factory DeArmonds, and it's a very cool guitar.

One thing I notice about the X-175 is that Guild got the shape just right. A lot of big bodied semis have proportions which are just a bit "off"... Even Guild gets it wrong sometimes. I don't mean historically accurate, but just balanced proportions. Gibson have got it perfect with the L5 IMO and the 6120 is spot-on too. The X-175 is a beautiful guitar.

I will try it again in my local music store. I wanted to like it very much but it doesn't quite do it for me. But then I am spoilt by a fantastic 6120 and P90 335!

Jimmy, they did reissue the best looking silhouette. It changed a couple of times over the years, as the molds wore out and/or got replaced. The current "reissue" is the body shape they had from around 56 to about 61, as far as I've seen.

The Newark Street Guilds are really nice for the money, but it wouldn't be totally fair to compare them to your Gretsch and Gibson - those are guitars costing three times as much. I sold mine, because I found I wasn't playing it, I have two vintage X175's, so again, not exactly fair to compare.

Uh, 2 years old but I try ( and asked in the M75 aristo thread also): what stock pots/switch/jack they've build in the Manhattan?

These are the ones that came out of my 175. The pots are pretty good, but I changed them as a matter of course when fitting the Bareknuckle coils. The switch is a bit flimsy, as is the jack socket. Mine has all CTS/Switchgear stuff now.

These are the ones that came out of my 175. The pots are pretty good, but I changed them as a matter of course when fitting the Bareknuckle coils. The switch is a bit flimsy, as is the jack socket. Mine has all CTS/Switchgear stuff now.

– Uncle Daddy

Thanks for sharing David. I've heard different informations about those parts, at least the pots look similar to Alphas.

Register Sign in to join the conversation