Other Guitars

NGD- Guild M75 Aristocrat

Purchased this from Street Sounds a couple of weeks ago and just got around to adding the Bigsby and Tru-Arc over the weekend. After some minor tweaks I'm really pleased with all aspects of this guitar. I highly recommend trying one should you get the opportunity.

congrats..beauty..i really like these new guilds..and it seems cordoba is doing a great job with what fmic brought back

great lookin..even the amber switch tip is cool touch...what strings you using??..some vintagey ie pure nickels or flats be perfectly right

cheers

Thanks fellas! I've got a few boxes of Fender nickel plated steel 10's I'm trying to burn through so that's what's on there now.

I should also mention that I, like many other reviews I read, found these pickups to be a tad too hot. I dropped the pole screws as low as I could get them and seemed to clean it up just enough. It really has a great sound to it.

Thanks fellas! I've got a few boxes of Fender nickel plated steel 10's I'm trying to burn through so that's what's on there now.

I should also mention that I, like many other reviews I read, found these pickups to be a tad too hot. I dropped the pole screws as low as I could get them and seemed to clean it up just enough. It really has a great sound to it.

– dmanlow

thats why pure nickel strings be perfect..tad less magnetic oomph than nps or ss…take some edge off

next time

looks killer…enjoy

cheers

The M75 is a great instrument, I've got 3 of them. Congrats on yours!

What is the Bigsby anchored to? Did you have an extra block of wood added inside the body? I've thought about a Bigsby on my M-75, but worry about damage to the body.

I'm going to try lowering the polepieces on the pickups on mine as well.

Cool little guitars; fun stuff.

The Bigsby is anchored straight to the body with no additional wood added for support. It had lots of meat to bite in to so I wouldn't worry about that.

If you're going to add a Bigsby be sure to get a B7. I first tried a B3 thinking I could get away without having to mark up the top but the break angle was too shallow. I saw a gold M75 with B3 that led me to be deceived into thinking I could get away with it.

Hey Derek - nicely done, congrats. I've always liked the Aristocrats being partial to Guilds as well.

Oooo, That's nice. SCORE!

That's a stunner! Congrats!

Nice man! I've been eying a Starfire III, but I need another guitar like I need another hole in my head. Glad to hear you like yours.

That's a beauty. I have a Guild NS X175B and love it. Those Franz pu's sound great, especially in a hollowbody. Is that Tru Arc a 9.5" radius Low Rider? Still have the original TOM style bridge on my 175....seems to work well enough with a bit of clear nail polish on the saddle retainer wire. The Newark St. Guilds are some major bang for the buck.

Someplace on this site Bill Light did a shoot out with a new M75 and his 50's M75.

Is that Tru Arc a 9.5" radius Low Rider? >

It's the standard Tru-Arc with 9.5" radius.

I'm a huge Neil Giraldo fan; love his tone.

He plays Guild mostly

That green Guild is a stunner!

It's sparkly (+1) and it owns that galloping rhythm at the end of the song + Tremolo (pretty sure it's a Bigsby?)

I don't think that's a Guild Giraldo is playing in the video....it might be a GMP.

Congrats, dmanlow. That's a beauty!

I got one of the reissues as one of my white whales has been an original Aristocrat, but it do it for me for some reason. YMMV. I don't think they've sold very well surprisingly, a lot of them on eBay for good prices used.

But a looker in the black with gold. Great sound in the vid, enjoy.

That looks so cool in black! congratulations! I briefly owned a new Korean X175, ended up selling it to a student because I had a little financial setback, and recently got another one - they came out with a black one, and I just couldn't resist.

Very cool WB! I considered that one as well. How do you like it compared to vintage examples?

Well, you know....unfair comparison, but considering the price, it's awful nice. Like you said, the pickups are a little hot (I have a pair of old ones in it now, much better).

It's impressive how they really must have blueprinted an actual old one, because size-shape-arch-neck-etc... wise, it really is almost exactly like a '59 I used to have, neck set is a little taller, otherwise almost exact copy.

It's brighter and a little harsher sounding than my oldies, and lacks the sweet midrange those have. But I think a guitar with 50 years on it will probably always have sweeter trebles and mids.

Register Sign in to join the conversation