Other Guitars

NGD! GUILD GOLDTOP

Well, I didn't plan to buy a new guitar and also didn't really need it but, well, GAS happened when I came across a very good deal. At first I checked the add and went 'ooooh. want. that.' and then realized it was at least a two hour drive away from my home. So I decided it wasn't for me, but also checked what else the seller had for sale and noticed he runs a vintage shop (furniture and other things curiosa etc.) We are currently redecorating and looking for those kind of things, so I showed my girlfriend the guitar for sale and the website of the vintage shop. By then I already had passed on the guitar in my head. A few minutes later my girlfriend found a vintage clock that she wanted so she started a chat with the seller to see if he could ship the clock. Turns out the seller has a weekly visitor who lives only twenty minutes away! He brings along items regularly for buyers to pick up.

Long story short, we now have a 'new' vintage clock and a new guitar in the house.

Guild Aristocrat M-75

photo Guild_Aristocrat_A001_zps9n9t46ot.jpg

More pics to follow!

Congrats! I really dig the goldtop M75, really beautiful.

I like my Aristo so much I wish it said Gretsch on it. Wonderful guitars!

Cool, those are rrreally nice!

That's a weird comment btw Tim.

Walter, it's only to say I feel a little disloyal liking the Guild so much.

No disrespect meant to Guild, of course, an honorable brand for which I have the highest regard. I guess in point of fact, I had a Guild (JF-30 jumbo) before I had a Gretsch - and had buddies with Guilds in the dim distant past before I ever laid hands on a Gretsch. So I do have some history with Guild.

It's possible to be over-invested in brand consciousness; my comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek. But here we are on a forum where my appreciation for Gretsch is well known - and the Aristocrat (and my Savoy) are the equal of any guitars (of any brand) I have. "Better" than most (if comparatives among very diverse guitars mean anything).

In any case, the Aristo is a unique guitar in spec, tone, and response, is graceful and proportionate in every way, and the execution of the modern iteration is superb. Can't ask more of any guitar. I don't really wish it said Gretsch on it.

(I wouldn't mind, though, if Gretsch made a light completely hollow and enclosed Jet - with Dynas.)

Hope that backgrounds my comment. I'd hate to be thought weird.

If you're wishing for an M75 with Dynas, well....you might just be a return Guild customer in the not too distant future...

If you're wishing for an M75 with Dynas, well....you might just be a return Guild customer in the not too distant future...

– WB

D-D-Dynas? Hmmm. My DeArmond M-77T may be on the market soon.

Walter, it's only to say I feel a little disloyal liking the Guild so much.

No disrespect meant to Guild, of course, an honorable brand for which I have the highest regard. I guess in point of fact, I had a Guild (JF-30 jumbo) before I had a Gretsch - and had buddies with Guilds in the dim distant past before I ever laid hands on a Gretsch. So I do have some history with Guild.

It's possible to be over-invested in brand consciousness; my comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek. But here we are on a forum where my appreciation for Gretsch is well known - and the Aristocrat (and my Savoy) are the equal of any guitars (of any brand) I have. "Better" than most (if comparatives among very diverse guitars mean anything).

In any case, the Aristo is a unique guitar in spec, tone, and response, is graceful and proportionate in every way, and the execution of the modern iteration is superb. Can't ask more of any guitar. I don't really wish it said Gretsch on it.

(I wouldn't mind, though, if Gretsch made a light completely hollow and enclosed Jet - with Dynas.)

Hope that backgrounds my comment. I'd hate to be thought weird.

– Proteus

Cbell had a hollow Billy Bo with Dynas...I think 3 of them. Very light weight.

– WB

Ooh, that is making my panties wet.

Cbell had a hollow Billy Bo with Dynas...I think 3 of them. Very light weight.

Yes, he had it at the Hoosier Daddy Roundup last year - and it was a big hit with everyone who tried it on. A "perfect" guitar, I think we thought.

I wasn't crazy about the graphics, though!

Thanks all! It really is a nice guitar! In brand new condition. The plastic still on the pick guard, a little block of foam to protect the selector switch and foam under the floating bridge. The previous owner bought it and played it for two minutes then put it back in the case. The case also looks brand new, also with the plastic still on the Guild tag. I need to set it up to my liking and there's no time for that now so hopefully next week I'll get to that. As wel as posting new pictures, just because I like threads with pictures haha. Review will follow.

Ironically I bought the new Guild guitar two days before the Euro Gretsch Roundup... Getting ready for a Gretsch weekend now!

Congrats. Really, really nice guitar. The Newark Street Guilds are exceptional.

That is a really nice looking guitar, congrats!

That's beautiful. I've had a hankering for a Newark St. Aristocrat since they were released. Never see them in my local stores. Anyone know if it's neck is normal or chancy?

Nice guitar. I've try one and the pickups are just fantastics

Congrats on a P90 goldtop. Hope you bond with it bigtime!!!

The Guild JF-30 is a great guitar! When I worked in a guitar store we had a JF-30 with a cutaway and it was just about my favourite guitar in the store. It made me sick to sell it. But the boss wouldn't have liked me not selling it because I couldn't afford it. And I can't seem to avoid people thinking me weird.

The goldtop looks great. So many cool guitars.

Congratulations on scoring such an excellent guitar.

Thanks all! So after the Gretsch Euro Roundup I had a two week vacation so I didn't get to spend much time with the Guild yet until now. It needed a setup. The neck was close to straight but had a little back bow, I took the foam out from under the bridge so that had to be put back in the right place. What a pain that is with this type of bridge. It's a floating bridge, so two loose metal studs with a tom on top. When raising or lowering action you have to loosen all the strings because the entire posts will turn when trying to turn the thumb wheels. At the moment it's decent but not yet perfect. Also had to file the nut, the strings got caught in there. A bit of filing and some graphite and it's okay for now.

Hopefully I can have some quality time with it tomorrow.

After you've completed all the fine tuning, and have played it some, give us a report on your thoughts on both feel and tone....what you played....and what you think it excels at.

Happy tinkering and playing!!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation