Other Guitars

NGD Guild Bluesbird

I haven't seen any discussion about these guitars around here. I recently acquired the 1997 cherry burst on the right making 3 in my collection. This guitar and the tobacco sunburst were made in Westerly R.I.. The cherry burst with the P90's was made in the early 2000's after Fender acquired Guild and moved production to Corona California. I really like these guitars. Like a Les Paul only in appearance. They are heavily chambered and wider (14 inches). If you expect them to sound like a Les Paul you would be disappointed, they have a great tone for blues. Anyone else have one or have experience with these guitars?

Haven't run across one yet, but Keef Richards is a big fan.

Gretschocaster, you probably knew this already but the 1997 one was made after Fender acquired Guild as well but before they moved to Corona.

Don, you are correct Fender acquired Guild in 1995. Later moving production to Corona around 2001. Thanks!

Never had a chance to try one out. Going to have to remedy that. Your collection is sweet!

Owned one just like this a while back. Should have kept it.

They are special guitars and you have a fine collection. Here's my 2000 Blues 90, a stripped down version of the Bluesbird 90. I swapped out the Duncon P-90s for a set of Lollars; otherwise it's stock.

Kap'n, that Nightbird is perfect; exactly what I'd want with passive pickups and a spruce top. Someday.

Kap'n, that Nightbird is perfect; exactly what I'd want with passive pickups and a spruce top. Someday.

– Caliban335

Not many of them with the Duncans. It also had the black hardware and no coil tap. Necks are thin - that "60 LP" style neck. I like 'em a little bigger.

I did get top dollar, and 4x what I paid, so it wasn't all bad.

-Edit: I just noticed that the pickups are different/non-original on this one, despite the three point adjustment on one. Originals had two rows of black anodized Filtertron-like screws. Sounded good, but not like 'trons.

Nice collection and I dig the cherry Blues 90 too! This is one Guild missing from my collection and as stated by another poster I should remedy that!

Nice collection and I dig the cherry Blues 90 too! This is one Guild missing from my collection and as stated by another poster I should remedy that!

My two humbucker Bluesbirds still have the stock Seymour Duncan '59 pickups. I quite like them as well I like the Seymour Duncan P90's. For some reason the P90 models have I chunkier neck than the humbucker models. Others on the Guild forum have commented on this as well.

Yeah the Bluesbirds with P90s I tried had seriously chunky necks! I have had a few regular Bluesbirds and yes they are great guitars. I like Westerley Guilds. So under-rated. The standouts for me are the Bluesbirds and the Starfire IIIs. One day I'll get another Starfire III because they have such a fat, old-school raunchy blues sound. Not too far away from a Gibson ES-225 kinda sound (which makes sense) and very satisfying to play.

Always liked the Bluesbird shape. It's an original spin on the LP.

Seriously regret not getting one of these years ago.

K

I had one a couple years ago. Beautiful guitar. Wanted to love it, but couldn't. The neck was set so that the bridge had to be cranked up high for acceptable action, with a steep break angle off the back. I raised the tailpiece. Helped a bit, not enough. It wasn't that easy a player, rather stiff feel.

Banana (aka Lowell Levinger) of the Youngbloods used to play one with DeArmonds.

That's a very nice collection you have. Congratulations on acquiring the new one!

I had one a couple years ago. Beautiful guitar. Wanted to love it, but couldn't. The neck was set so that the bridge had to be cranked up high for acceptable action, with a steep break angle off the back. I raised the tailpiece. Helped a bit, not enough. It wasn't that easy a player, rather stiff feel.

– mad dog

I found the same thing on two of my Bluesbirds. The bridge had to be cranked high to get the proper action and stop any buzzing. The problem on mine wasn't the neck set but the nut on both were cut too low. Depressing a string on the fourth fret found there was little or no space between the first fret and the string. That is where I start when I set up a guitar. Make sure the nut is properly cut so there is no string binding and it is not cut too high or too low. I like a gap of .0010 using a feeler gauge.

My brother has one , bought it new and - his only electric. It must be from be from the early 90´S. I had forgot about it till he pulled it out one day. Beautiful red flame maple with humbuckers. I made a scratch on the back of it when new, because of a mag light in belt. He hasn't forgot that and neither have I. So I still aint aloud to handle it much.

Register Sign in to join the conversation