Other Guitars

NGD Gibson J180 Y2K

So with the hunt for my personal quest for the Dwight Yoakam J180 finally at an end I can’t even begin to describe what it’s like to finally own this guitar. Back in ‘01 I played one at the Sam Ash in Raleigh and I just couldn’t move enough gear to get it without putting myself in a bind or the doghouse.Even being a big Dwight fan I couldn’t do it and it’s haunted me ever since. As luck would have it though I picked this one up reasonably from the original owner w/all paperwork and receipt from Smithfield Va who just so happened to be coming down to Jacksonville NC(Camp Lejeune) for his sons graduation a few days before Christmas and my 45th birthday.I know how some of y’all feel now when you finally get that ONE you’ve been chasing.

Dang I knew the J200 of course but this was a new model to me. Looks great!

Dang I knew the J200 of course but this was a new model to me. Looks great!

– DCBirdMan

Thankya sir! These were made off the Everly Bros. J180 that Dwight used for a little while made from 2000-‘02.Although there’s obviously body depth differences in this and my 6120,they surprisingly feel similar,16” body and the necks are relatively the same...a nice transition from one to the other.

Those are absolutely beautiful! Congratulations and enjoy!

I'm hearing "A Thousand Miles From Nowhere" from here!

Congrats on that beauty!

That looks too great. Enjoy it!

Wow! Few things beat getting the Grail. Congrats

That is one sexy guitar. Very jealous!!

That is a beautiful guitar, Michael. I have always been a bit of a sucker for the Everly Brothers model Gibson with the double pickguard and the moustache bridge.

That is a beautiful guitar, Michael. I have always been a bit of a sucker for the Everly Brothers model Gibson with the double pickguard and the moustache bridge.

– Ric12string

Thanks Bob and guys I appreciate it!!! I know how right you are Bob.My first acoustic love/lust was Waylon Jennings D55 and the Everly’s J180’s. Couldn’t never really get my hands on a decent E model so I bought a D55 natural top years ago and it was pure heaven in looks and sound but in a live setting the rosewood body just irritated the sound guys.Sold it still trying to find that J180 or even a J200 with no luck I bought a Gibson Dove and then when in 2000 when these were released with Dwight’s name on them,it was game on! Sold the Dove and had some flings with a few others just waiting to find the right one ,came close once but after 18 years finally got one. If my gear wound down to this J180 and my 6120 I’d be perfectly content with that.

Congrats! That's a fine looking guitar.

It's always dandy as can be when a dream comes true - and it lives up to the dreaming. Sometimes it even takes a good long while for some other wantit to pop up. Congrats on finally bringing one home!

Love the top picture, too. The Gibson looks at home there.

Congrats Michael ,beautiful guitar sir!

My dream acoustic guitar is a Gibson J-200, since I saw and heard Cat Stevens play one on TV in 1972 or so. Then I heard that George played one on Here Comes the Sun and many other songs, Pete Townsend, Jimmy Page, Elvis, Dylan, the list goes on. Most of my fav acoustic guitar sounds were made on this model. Last year, I started saving and looking for one. I played one at the local Guitar Center and it was magic. I searched out many more around DC, in Cleveland, in Nashville (some of you guys were in on the search) and never found one I liked as much as the one at Guitar Center so when they offered me a $1000 discount (I think they were just tired of me comming in and asking them to pull it down for me to play 3 or 4 times a month for a year) I pulled out a credit card and brought it home. I’m happy as a clam.

Congrats on your new Gibson. It’s a real beauty.

My dream acoustic guitar is a Gibson J-200, since I saw and heard Cat Stevens play one on TV in 1972 or so. Then I heard that George played one on Here Comes the Sun and many other songs, Pete Townsend, Jimmy Page, Elvis, Dylan, the list goes on. Most of my fav acoustic guitar sounds were made on this model. Last year, I started saving and looking for one. I played one at the local Guitar Center and it was magic. I searched out many more around DC, in Cleveland, in Nashville (some of you guys were in on the search) and never found one I liked as much as the one at Guitar Center so when they offered me a $1000 discount (I think they were just tired of me comming in and asking them to pull it down for me to play 3 or 4 times a month for a year) I pulled out a credit card and brought it home. I’m happy as a clam.

Congrats on your new Gibson. It’s a real beauty.

– Bob Howard

Thanks Bob.In all honesty if this one hadn’t showed up when it did,I had my eyes on a double guard J200 basically like Gary Allan’s vintage sunburst J200.So I know where you’re coming from with that King Jumbo

Congrats , thats a beauty - bet it sounds and plays just as good as it Looks !

So with the hunt for my personal quest for the Dwight Yoakam J180 finally at an end I can’t even begin to describe what it’s like to finally own this guitar. Back in ‘01 I played one at the Sam Ash in Raleigh and I just couldn’t move enough gear to get it without putting myself in a bind or the doghouse.Even being a big Dwight fan I couldn’t do it and it’s haunted me ever since. As luck would have it though I picked this one up reasonably from the original owner w/all paperwork and receipt from Smithfield Va who just so happened to be coming down to Jacksonville NC(Camp Lejeune) for his sons graduation a few days before Christmas and my 45th birthday.I know how some of y’all feel now when you finally get that ONE you’ve been chasing.

– Michael Williams

Do you know what number the make of this model is? Looking for number 76.

Do you know what number the make of this model is? Looking for number 76.

– Shanereid

This is #144

Register Sign in to join the conversation