Other Guitars

NGD Fender Squier Classic ‘50s Strat All Gold

Just got a used Fender Squier Classic '50s Strat All Gold.

A point in my life years ago I had good investments and a good income so buying guitars over $1,000 was mot an issue. Recent bad investments and lay offs and lack of steady income has forced me to seek out great deals on lower priced gear.

This is used and was $275. I think these might be had for $250 used now but I liked this and was impressed. Feels great and sounds just as good. Sure it is Chinese made and all and not as prestigious as my Squier Japan 1980s model but truthfully I like this Chinese guitar just as well.

Like this -

Congrats! Nothing beats a good guitar at a good price. If you love it, who cares if it was $200 or $2000.

Oooh! Very nice! Beautiful! Reminds me of Clapton's gold leaf Strat!

That's great. I picked up a Squier Mustang for $250 on black Friday. I was shocked how well it played with only a bit of setup right out of the box and the tone is great, too. It is much how I remembered my brother's old 1965 (I used to sneak a play when he wasn't looking). How do they do it?

@ Polecats- nice one! @ Bob-post some pics of that new Mustang.

OK Twom. This is my gear gear this year.

Sweet set up, Bob! Looks like your ready for a rockin' Xmas!

It's hard to find two Fender strats that sound alike. The setup, the woods, the tech that was hung over that day.... could be anything. Just to find a good strat that sounds nice is a blessing. Some say Squiers use cheap parts, NAY,I find the same ones on Fenders. Some say Squiers use Basswood bodies and look down their nose. Basswood is economical to buy, but, it is also so tight grained and dense that it makes a better tonewood without having to dig through a pile of boards to find perfection. Basswood also makes for a lighter body and besides 95% of an electric guitars sound is from the pickups, 3% hardware, 2% wood. It's like a phone commercial, would you pay twice as much for a 2% difference? So, no, I see no bankable difference between Fender and Squier. (Gibson and Epiphone for that matter either. Gretsch and Electromatic run a thin line as well).

Collecting is a completely different subject though....

I'm not a Strat guy but I really like that gold Classic Vibe. You done good.

Congrats on the gold CV. I picked up a candy apple red classic vibe last year. Great bang for the buck. I like mine almost as much as an american 62 RI I had several years ago.

It's hard to find two Fender strats that sound alike. The setup, the woods, the tech that was hung over that day.... could be anything. Just to find a good strat that sounds nice is a blessing. Some say Squiers use cheap parts, NAY,I find the same ones on Fenders. Some say Squiers use Basswood bodies and look down their nose. Basswood is economical to buy, but, it is also so tight grained and dense that it makes a better tonewood without having to dig through a pile of boards to find perfection. Basswood also makes for a lighter body and besides 95% of an electric guitars sound is from the pickups, 3% hardware, 2% wood. It's like a phone commercial, would you pay twice as much for a 2% difference? So, no, I see no bankable difference between Fender and Squier. (Gibson and Epiphone for that matter either. Gretsch and Electromatic run a thin line as well).

Collecting is a completely different subject though....
– flyneye

I've found that Squiers do in fact use cheap bridges and cheap electronics. The wood and the tuners on the Classic Vibes are fine though. The pickups are decent. The necks feel a bit thin to me but that is preferable for some people.

Overall the Classic Vibes may be the best bang for the buck electric guitar out there. They are a modders dream foundation guitar too. I had lots of fun modding one that I ended up giving to my Dad.

Thanks everyone for your input. It's on police hold now so won't get it until its freed up I think in about a week.

I have one. It's a classic vibe 50's, 60th anniversary of the first Stratocaster. Hence the gold hardware. It was only made in 2014 with an etched cometrative neck plate. I've played for 50 years and this guitar, imho, is the best value for the cost as any guitar I've owned.

Just got a used Fender Squier Classic '50s Strat All Gold.

A point in my life years ago I had good investments and a good income so buying guitars over $1,000 was mot an issue. Recent bad investments and lay offs and lack of steady income has forced me to seek out great deals on lower priced gear.

This is used and was $275. I think these might be had for $250 used now but I liked this and was impressed. Feels great and sounds just as good. Sure it is Chinese made and all and not as prestigious as my Squier Japan 1980s model but truthfully I like this Chinese guitar just as well.

Like this -

– ThePolecats

I've always prided myself in playing only cheap used guitars, e.g., G&L ASAT Tribute ($200), Austin ES335-copy ($240), E-Series MIJ Squier ($400), but suddenly find myself completely jonesing for an American Strat. There are times when I convince myself that after decades of grinding away to support my family, I'm entitled to a little candy for once in my lfe. But then something breaks in the house/car that's going to cost a small fortune to repair, and I get gun shy.

That's great. I picked up a Squier Mustang for $250 on black Friday. I was shocked how well it played with only a bit of setup right out of the box and the tone is great, too. It is much how I remembered my brother's old 1965 (I used to sneak a play when he wasn't looking). How do they do it?

– Bob Howard

How do they do it? Cheap Chinese labor. It's the American way!

Register Sign in to join the conversation