Other Guitars

NGD: Fender Parallel Universe II Jazz Strat…a.k.a., Alien Love Ch…

So...got this in a trade for my Fender AV '52 Roasted Ash Tele. Not missing it as I have 4 other Teles (it's a sickness, I know). Anyhoo, the trade was totally worth it! I can't stop playing this beauty.

Funny enough, I've had 2 Fender AV '65 Jazzmasters and I always felt the pickups were a bit too mid-rangey/harsh. The Pure Vintage '65 JM pickups on the Jazz Strat sound outstanding.

It's different, it's cool looking, it's sure to annoy purists - what's not to like?!?

...here with Mom & Dad

...and with drunk Uncle Jag...

Oh, in case anyone asks - yup, I got the spiffy surf green hardshell Fender case that comes with it.

Wow, that looks really nice! The block inlays really bring it all together for me.

Thanks, Fritz! Hope you are doing well! Aesthetically, I like block inlays but tactile(y?), I usually don't and prefer the feel of the fret board. In this case, I don't even notice. Win/win!

Very nice indeed. All bases covered with those four, I think -- plus a Tele, a Les Paul and a Gretsch or two of course!

Congrats, Steve! That's a unique specimen.

Wow, that's cool, Snorre (okay, I used your old nick..)! Great color! How do you like the neck? Also, you HAVE to post a pic of that case! Great score. Enjoy!

Nice looking group, enjoy them.

Interesting all this Fender inbreeding they do now. Might make some cool players; other say they have just run out of ideas and it's just this ongoing mash of features from different established models. Still they do look cool all lined up!

Just saw the same guit in a store here but did not have time to try it. What are you going to play on it? Does it have a blues vibe? A surf vibe? Both?

I think they look pretty cool.

K

The pic with "Mom and Dad"! But that raises the question: Who contributed the neck binding DNA? Is your Gretsch the milkman in this scenario?

That looks like a bunch of fun.

Are you gonna nickname it "The Mutt"?

It's cool...I LOVE it and hate it at the same time....lol. I'd definitely go for one if the opportunity arose.

Congrats!

What a trip! Other than the body and pickguard, everything else (yes, even the neck) is from a Jazzmaster.

Wow, that's cool, Snorre (okay, I used your old nick..)! Great color! How do you like the neck? Also, you HAVE to post a pic of that case! Great score. Enjoy!

– Metman

Case pics!

(turned off the ceiling lights to reduce the glare but a little blurry, sorry)

it makes me actually consider liking a stratocaster again! Color is insanely gorgeous!

Just saw the same guit in a store here but did not have time to try it. What are you going to play on it? Does it have a blues vibe? A surf vibe? Both?

I think they look pretty cool.

K

– Konrad

I primarily play surf, punk, alternative, rockabilly, Brit Invasion stuff. I'm not much of a blues guy unless on bass for basics, heh. I'm sure anything can be played on it, even metal or djent (drop tuning and such).

I totally get how it may put off some folks. I cringe when I see a S-Style or T-Style guitar that has a headstock not even close to a Fender style headstock. That's my purist peeve, I suppose. Still, I like a company that takes some risks, which Fender has done throughout its history for good or bad. Sure, they'll fail at times. At least they try. I appreciate that. IMHO, they got this one right.

Aesthetics aside (which I dig), this is still a quality, US-made Fender guitar. My wife rarely comments on my guitars other than, "that's a pretty one". This time, she said, "Don't sell that one. That's a keeper".

Very cool (case too!) and annoying purists is fun.

it makes me actually consider liking a stratocaster again! Color is insanely gorgeous!

– TheNocturneBrain

It took a long time to for me to get comfortable with Strats. What really started working for me was the Fender American Vintage '65 Strat with the mid-60s C shape neck. Then...I got the 7-Sound Stratocaster Mod done and I do it for all my Strats now. I play my Strats far more often than I used to. The neck & bridge combo is all surfy goodness for me.

https://www.premierguitar.c...

Congrats Steve,i think those are great looking geets!

The matching case is the last straw. What’s not to like! Very cool. Congrats.

Great color! I would like to try the Strat/Jaguar hybrid they made - a Strat body with 3 Jaguar pickups.

Here's the Jazz Strat video that got the itch started...

Here's the Jaguar Strat video that may have started another itch for down the road...

Register Sign in to join the conversation