Other Guitars

NGD: Danelectro 59X12

NGD!

Been looking to add an electric 12-string to my arsenal. The dream would be a Ric 12, of course, but they're hard to come by and a little pricey. I had my eye on the previous edition of Danelectro's 12-string (with the single lip-stick pick-ups), but when I noticed they came out with a 12-srting version of the 59 series guitar, I was immediately interested.

I tried this in-store last week, and I liked it, but I also wanted to try a few others, and compare. I liked the new Alternate Reality Fender XII. The hockey stick headstock is dead cool. Sounded good, felt nice. I also tried one of the new Japanese-made Fender Strat 12-strings. Again, played nice, lots of tonal options, being a strat.

But the Dano was easily as good as either of the Fenders, had its own tonal flexibility strengths with the split-able dual lipstick bridge pickup and the "vintage-style large housing single coil" (does that mean P90?) neck pickup, and just simply sounds and plays really damn good.

AND it's incredibly affordable - just $709 CDN brand new. That's $400 cheaper than the Strat 12, and almost half the price of the Fender XII re-issue ($1399).

It's a really fun guitar - feels great to play, sounds great, and looks cool, too!

My only small quibble is that the neck pickup is a tiny, little bit dark, but I might be able to fix that with some height adjustment or pole piece adjustment to find its sweet spot.

Here are the specs:

• DESCRIPTION 12-string electric guitar. Made in Korea

• BUILD Semi-hollow masonite construction with ply centre block and frame, bolt-on maple neck with 14” radius pau ferro fingerboard, 21 medium-jumbo frets, aluminum nut

• HARDWARE Fully adjustable hardtail bridge, sealed tuners

• ELECTRONICS Dual humbucking Lipstick pickup (bridge), vintage-style large housing single-coil (neck), 3-way toggle pickup selector, master volume, master tone (push-pull coil split for bridge pickup)

• SCALE LENGTH 25”/635mm

• NECK WIDTH 45.4mm at nut, 54.9mm at 12th fret

• NECK DEPTH 21.3mm at first fret, 22.5mm at 12th fret

• STRING SPACING 38.5mm at nut, 55.4mm at bridge

• WEIGHT 3.47kg/7.10lb

I should also add that the bridge seems really great. Fully adjustable. The octave strings are top-loading, and the regular strings are through-body, like a Tele.

And now it joins the family.

Headstocks of Distinction.

i really like the DC-12 with the original lipsticks, better in fact than any other 12er i've tried.

Nice, I'm on the hunt for a electric 12 myself. Thanks for the review, I'll have to check one of these models out Where did you get yours? Used or is it new?

It's a good one for sure, but some won't like pickups, even tho most electric 12s seem to be used on bridge position. Wide neck geeks like me would find the neck to narrow. And of course unless you are using a Rick 660/12, the killer narrow necks on other Rick 12 models are just absurd -- some players adjust - -one of them said "it's a mind-over-matter thing"

Congratulations on the new guitar, Jim! I'm also looking to add a 12 string to the herd. I appreciate your comparative review.

Pretty cool 12, congrats on adding to your herd. Curious, though, why you didn't think of the Electromatic 5622-12? It should be in that price range, it's Gretsch, and it's mighty good.

Not that there's anything wrong with a Dano. I need another 12 like the proverbial hole in head, but thinking of lipsticks on a 12 puts me in want mode. Maybe it will pass!

Wide neck geeks like me would find the neck to narrow...

But it's 45mm. According to my conversion, that's more than 1-3/4". That's pretty wide enough, ainit?

one of them said "it's a mind-over-matter thing"

By which they mean, leave out notes and convince yourself it's what you wanted to do.

Pretty cool 12, congrats on adding to your herd. Curious, though, why you didn't think of the Electromatic 5622-12? It should be in that price range, it's Gretsch, and it's mighty good.

Not that there's anything wrong with a Dano. I need another 12 like the proverbial hole in head, but thinking of lipsticks on a 12 puts me in want mode. Maybe it will pass!

But it's 45mm. According to my conversion, that's more than 1-3/4". That's pretty wide enough, ainit?

By which they mean, leave out notes and convince yourself it's what you wanted to do.

– Proteus

I think this Dano was purchased here in Canada, Gretsch 12’s are significantly more to buy. Bang for your buck these dano’s are the ticket up here. I’ve looked at both, there is a $500 price difference. Use Gretsch 12’s are hens teeth on the used market, believe me I’ve been searching

1 3/4 is minimal for a 12, but I'm @ 1- 14/16 on that scene.

I guess nut string spacing can help/hurt how any width plays and feels.

Nice, I'm on the hunt for a electric 12 myself. Thanks for the review, I'll have to check one of these models out Where did you get yours? Used or is it new?

– Gretsch6123

Got it new at Long & McQuade in Toronto.

– Proteus

I thought about trying the 5422-12. There was one in another store. But I had a fair bit of tuning stability issues when I first got my 5422TG, which only subsided when I put a set of 10-52s on her. I guess I was worried about getting into a similar kettle with 2X the strings!

Also, the idea of a bigger-bodied, hollow elec 12-string didn't appeal to me.

And the price difference. The Dano was nearly $600 cheaper.

Register Sign in to join the conversation