Other Guitars

NGD Circa 1967 Mosrite Mark I

The topic may be slightly misleading but not entirely.

It’s a Mosrite Avenger which is made by Firstman in Japan and based on the Mark I. So it’s vintage and seems designed faithfully to the original except some cosmetics. Prior to Firstman, they were called Zen-On and made a Mosrite like Guitar called the Morales. I have one. It’s made of Mahogany and heavy as all heck. It’s fine for what it is but it doesn’t sound like a Mosrite.

My Firstman sounds Mosrite. Think Ventures during the Mosrite years.

This version has some cosmetic differences. String guide is plastic, not metal. The pickup switch is plastic not metal. The dots are bigger. I rather have small dots to be correct but in terms of looks I prefer these bigger dots.

I asked about why this model has these cosmetic differences at the Mosrite and Offset Guitar forums but of course no answer. I only saw one other like this and it was on Reverb.

I plan on day to get a metal string guide and a metal pickup switch tip.

I measured the pickups and oddly enough the neck has more output than the bridge.

Neck 12.55 Bridge 11.99

Nice. Looking to get into Mosrite territory myself. I'm finding those Hallmark Mosrite style guitars very appealing.

That's nice. I still have a '66 Mosrite Joe Maphis Model I, and had a black Mark I before, which was really nice, too.

Cool guitars, great sound, and the only thing that I didn't like about them is that the neck can feel a tad small...a small adjustment to me to get my inner Ricky Wilson going.

Actually going down to MD this week to look at Hallmark 65 Customs. The modern Hallmarks have a wider nut , crowned frets, and a bit more girth the the neck profile; the rest seems to be pure vintage Mosrite down to the zero fret, high output single coil pu's and vibrato unit.

By the way, my Mosrite Mark 1 by Firstman probably is a 1969, not 1967 as I noted because from 1967 to 1968 I believe they were Zen-On Morales Mosrite then in 1969 they became Firstman and dropped the ZenOn. Dropped Morales and went to out and out Mosrite.

I paid $600 plus $50 shipping for a total of $650. I told myself if I get in a bidding war I won’t go beyond $575 but as usual I get over zealous and got into a minor bidding war and max bidded up to $650 but whoever bidded against me stopped before $600, so $600 is all I was held to. Actually I don’t think it was a bidding war but think someone max bid long before the final minutes of the auction and the max bid kept on outbidding me until I put in $650 and at $600 I was the highest.

Considering how awesome this is and feels and sounds vintage the price was well worth it. I had some reservations after I won but when I received it all reservations went out the window. This is well worth it. I’ll mention my reservations another time.

I love this. Sounds like The Ventures live in Japan ‘65. Not that I can play that well but point is sounds like a real Mosrite.

Played thru my Tweed Deluxe clone sounds excellent. The Tweed Princeton clone doesn’t sound good thru it. Overdrives in a bad way. The Deluxe has that peach fuzz if you know what I mean. Thru the 1971 Princeton Reverb you don’t get the peach fuzz but sounds good nevertheless but best thru the Tweed Deluxe.

Actually going down to MD this week to look at Hallmark 65 Customs. The modern Hallmarks have a wider nut , crowned frets, and a bit more girth the the neck profile; the rest seems to be pure vintage Mosrite down to the zero fret, high output single coil pu's and vibrato unit.

– Gretschadelphia

Cool. Let us know if you buy the Hallmark. If you didn’t please let us know your thoughts on them. I never played any, but Bob Shade of Hallmark had a display at a Deke Dickerson concert I went to about in 2010 and they looked amazing. By all accounts people say they are better than the original Mosrites.

Taking the 2 1/2 hr ride down to MD to do a hands-on selection. I tend to be more attracted these days to the more off-beat guitars. From what I gather, Mosrites/Hallmarks with their high output big single coil pu's are far from one trick pony plinky sounding surf guitars and can really push a tube amp for rock and blues also. Bob Shade has a great rep as a luthier and the go-to guy for Mosrite restorations. Communication with Bob has been great. If all goes well, and I come back with a Hallmark, I will post plenty of pictures and do a detailed review.

New Hallmark Custom 65. Check for a separate thread in the next week with a full review and more pictures.

Another.....photos don't do it justice. Killer beautiful Pearl White Sparkle finish.

Better detail of the metal flake sparkle finish.
Stayed tuned for a full review.

Register Sign in to join the conversation