Other Guitars

NGD and a 1/2 —

Well you saw this great '62 Melody Maker 3/4 before but now it has good frets and plays great.

Then just into today this as-new 2009 Rickebacker 310. I think I can live w/ the stock frets ..they aren't buried in lacquer.

Cat is unimpressed -- seen all this before.

Still when I think of the Eras That Have Ended to get to this point. OVER IS: hollowbody era; Bigsby era; single coil era; wide neck era; maple neck era; 7.5 radius era, double neck era, 4 knob era, 24" radius-and-up era' and a few others I have forgotten

A nice pairing indeed.

Thus begins the era of standing with your knees pointed out and bouncing up and down scratching away at banjo chords.

A nice pairing indeed.

Thus begins the era of standing with your knees pointed out and bouncing up and down scratching away at banjo chords.

– Tsar Nicholas

That's a Lennon reference? This Rick is just passing thru until a 950 gets here. I was actually more interested in what Fogerty did on short neck Rick

That's a good looking flock of gits, Birdman! It's really coming together for you. I hope you will enjoy playing them as much as you did putting them together. It's been a lot of fun following your short scale quest.

That's a good looking flock of gits, Birdman! It's really coming together for you. I hope you will enjoy playing them as much as you did putting them together. It's been a lot of fun following your short scale quest.

– Wade H

Well still going on. I think I have to hang onto the Fender for a while yet. I had convinced myself the 1 p/u MM could cut it for Timid Folk Music but now I have doubts. Otter here had some superthin acousti-bucker that might work in the neck position of it. So still all a work in progress.

Fogarty and Lennon did alright

Love your passion on it.

I'm sure you have told the story before .. but if you don't mind, what brought about the passion for the short scale?

Is it the way you can move around the fretboard on it? The tension in the strings? The tone? The challenge of doing what others don't? All valid reasons .. or maybe none of the above? Congrats and enjoy.

The end of the hollowbody ere? Eek! No room to sneak in a cool short-scale Gibson Byrdland?

That's a Lennon reference? This Rick is just passing thru until a 950 gets here. I was actually more interested in what Fogerty did on short neck Rick

– DCBirdMan

Ok, the era of ostracising your bandmates and your own brother has begun!

The end of the hollowbody ere? Eek! No room to sneak in a cool short-scale Gibson Byrdland?

– Dave_K

The problem with hollowbodies (as great as that 2005 Epi Byrdland was) is that the strings are too high off the body, like on this Rick 310 it/s 7/8". Gibson not quite that bad. Still for fingerpicking I need that strings way down close to the body. Resting your right hand on the bridge is awkward. That's why I'm going for that Rick 950. Maybe other fingerpickers don't mind.

So even this kool Rick 310 is passing thru.

Love your passion on it.

I'm sure you have told the story before .. but if you don't mind, what brought about the passion for the short scale?

Is it the way you can move around the fretboard on it? The tension in the strings? The tone? The challenge of doing what others don't? All valid reasons .. or maybe none of the above? Congrats and enjoy.

– Major7th

It's complicated -- what works best for advanced age. small hands and Timid Folk Music. Not a jam band, not a blues band, not a rack-o-pedals band, etc. Highly arranged stuff... Not to say there isn't highly arranged rock music -- how these Rush tribute bands learn that stuff, I will never know..

Short scale just came from sit-down-and-compare. What I can do/reach etc on 25.5 vs. 22.5 is amazing. I don't have long fingers at all. AS a young fretboard burner I didn't notice or care.

BUT just over the past 5 years this hierarchy of dislikes/impediments to playing well has become evident. In order of magnitude these are: long scale neck, low frets, strings far from body, satin finish necks, controls hard to reach, single coil buzz, weight over 7 pounds, narrow neck, 7.5 radius.

So will accept something lower on the list to avoid something higher on the list. So for example, I will put up w/ narrow neck to get short scale, I will put up with something over 7 pounds to get strings close to the body (which is the case w/ that Fender mutt), I will accept 7.5" radius if the controls are easy to reach.

Certain things like tone these days are pretty easily adjusted with all the choice in pickups, etc. But after hi-hopes and trying it out last night, the new Melody Maker 3/4 with DucanBucker is a dead issue since it just doesn't have the tonal variation I need. Frets too, that can be changed although you will lose thousands selling off something with first rate new frets that no one will pay for.

So it really has to be a 22.5" scale solid body, 2 pickup guitar. Fret and pickups can be changed, wider spaced nuts in some cases can offset narrow neck. So there are things you can alter, and something you can't.

Main problem is me. I get in this mind-over-matter mindset -- some 25.5" scale guitar sounds so fantastic (currently Voccoli 9 string) I say " I can hack this for 6-8 songs." Then in reality I can't. It was wishful thinking. Same way narrow 1-9/16th nut _ I can do this. I can't. So I see Roger McGuinn managing that narrrow neck Rick 12 -- doesnt' mean I can regardless of I-can-do-this mindset.

Learned my lesson on throwing better hardware on cheap guitars... an updgraded $179 Mini-Fender/Squier of some sort is not an option.

This all sounds like tweaky prima donna stuff but is just constant. experimentation to find what works best. I didn't experiment for 20-25 years years. A Telecaster was all I needed. It's different now. But all the experiments etc. that didn't work out -- they were worth trying. Something was learned in the process

Register Sign in to join the conversation