Other Guitars

why I am happy

Finally got the 22.5" (the only scale that matters) build done and love it.

57 Duo Sonic body w/ decent red refin, '58 Musicmaster neck w/ metal modern Klusons, GraphTec wider spaced nut, and big honkin frets by my buddy Aaron.

Then Duncan Stratbuckers, WD guard, Emerson pots, All Parts bridge... original knobs and neck plate.

And crazy rare Fender case that is just for 22.5 stuff in black tolex (started in '64) At that point they made mostly 24" Duo Sonics and Musicasters but there were a few 22.5s still done concurrently-- must have been for one of that small number.

So In My World, 22.5" = long scale, 20.5 Rickenbacker = short scale. Still trolling hard for post-1964 Rick 950 but nothin' out there.

Congrats, DCBM! Play'er in good health!

Talk to Matt @ Action Music. He had a couple 950s the last time I was there...

Cool, congratulations on the build.

My friend Terry (one of the co-authors of the book Fender: The Golden Age** is the guy when it comes to student model Fenders and early Fender (and K&F) steels. He has a remarkable collection of Duo Sonics and Music Masters, all pre-CBS. He has every colour including customs, I believe, although he recently downsized his collection a little. Anyway, I always think about mentioning this when I see your frequent comments on short scale guitars. I don't know if you know Terry. Shame he doesn't post here (or on any other forums--at least that I know of).

Cool, congratulations on the build.

My friend Terry (one of the co-authors of the book Fender: The Golden Age** is the guy when it comes to student model Fenders and early Fender (and K&F) steels. He has a remarkable collection of Duo Sonics and Music Masters, all pre-CBS. He has every colour including customs, I believe, although he recently downsized his collection a little. Anyway, I always think about mentioning this when I see your frequent comments on short scale guitars. I don't know if you know Terry. Shame he doesn't post here (or on any other forums--at least that I know of).

– reverb11

I will have to check out hat book -- there's a lot of cool stuff in the 22.5" scale Fender scene. But the person himself I don't know.

Well thanks for the comments everyone. There is a second one in the works (body up @ Schoolhouse right now) that will come together much the same as this one. But will be a few months at least before it's ready to show off . There are other projects coming along -- soon to be unveiled.

Very cool, Birdman! I like those short scales, particularly for open-tuned fingerpicking (you don't need as much space when you're not playing six-fingered chords). Yours needs a Bigsby though.

Congratulations! It's really important to enhance joy wherever possible and for a guitar player to love the guitar they are playing brings it.

I'll bet that's really a fun guitar to play. I love short scale guitars.

Well I have a second one in the works. Maybe a Bigsby for it. Still goin' insane looking for a fireglo Rick 950 more in the 70s era. That's the bookend to this whole short scale scene.

Register Sign in to join the conversation